300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i puruse it?

have a complicated situtation and hoping for some help. im a reserve officer for a midwest city. I have been a reserve with this dpt for approx 5 years. i do possess a college degree, and completed a certified reserve academy conducted by this same dpt.(have worked approx 1500hrs in patrol as a reserve) i applied for the hiring process for a full time position for same dpt and was dismissed from the process. was informed my combined written and oral interview score didnt place me high enough to move on. i've placed a call to command requesting advice on how to make myself a better candidate, with no response..i also asked if i were permitted to obtain my score, and or rank from this process, and still no response...question is if representation was obtained, would they have to release the scores of those in the process? second do i even have any type of case for discrimination??

On what grounds do you feel discriminated against? Seems plain and simple. You tested. Did not score high enough and were dismissed. Why not try again when theres another opening. You could also try at another location maybe?

Causing a big ripple when theres no actual case could cause a lot more harm than good.

However, I would think they would give you your score.
    Ever feel like you live in the state of confusion?

Comment

Don't just try that dept. Apparently, either they don't want to hire you or you should study more. Try somewhere else and do not talk to a lawyer. You never want to burn a bridge when trying to get hired and depts don't hire people that sue other agencies they work for.
      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

It doesn't sound as if you have much of a case. If you didn't score high enough to make the cutoff, then you simply didn't get enough questions right on the written and the oral. This is not grounds for a discrimination claim unless you can prove you were scored by a standard that was significantly different from the other candidates. If you didn't make the cutoff, you would not have a rank or position on the hiring list so there is no point in trying to go there either.

Many agencies will tell you what your score was and what the cutoff was. Sometimes they will give you your actual score. Other times they will simply say the cutoff was XX and your score was below that. The scores and ranks of other candidates are usually deemed to be confidential personnel matters and exempt from public disclosure, so even with an attorney you probably won't get anywhere with that type of request.

As far as what you can do to make yourself a better candidate - study better for the next test. Many applicants don't pay much attention to what the exam announcement says. But in most cases, it is a wealth of information that tells you exactly what you will be tested on and thus, what you need to study for. For example, an exam announcement for an upcoming insurance fraud investigator position in my state says the tests will cover:

TEST I: MULTIPLE CHOICE – (Weighted 70%)

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIVE PROCEDURES

1. Knowledge of court procedures as they pertain to insurance fraud investigation and prosecution.

2. Knowledge of legal terminology pertaining to criminal law.

3. Knowledge of the rules of evidence as they pertain to insurance fraud.

4. Knowledge of the proper completion of various court orders.

5. Knowledge of the proper procedure for serving court orders.

6. Knowledge of evidence gathering techniques that will preserve evidence.

7. Knowledge of evidence preservation techniques that will ensure certification in court.

8. Knowledge of interviewing techniques to obtain pertinent information from witnesses and other individuals involved

in an insurance fraud crime.

OFFICER SAFETY TACTICS

1. Knowledge of defensive tactics that can be utilized to prevent injury to oneself and others.

2. Knowledge of arrest control tactics that can be utilized to restrain suspects without injury to oneself and others.

3. Knowledge of the safety precautions to take while performing job duties.

4. Ability to determine when back-up assistance will be required.

BOTH CONTENT AREAS

1. Knowledge of criminal and civil codes and statutes pertaining to insurance fraud.

2. Knowledge of the legal rights of citizens.

3. Ability to analyze situations accurately and take effective action.

4. Ability to read and understand the English language.

TEST II: WRITING EXERCISE – (Weighted 30%)

CONTENT

1. Ability to read and understand the English language.

2. Ability to understand how written laws, policies, and codes relate to insurance fraud case investigation and prosecution.

3. Ability to follow directives from others regarding case investigations.

WRITTEN COMMUNICATION

1. Knowledge of the proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure for the English language to ensure

that prepared and/or reviewed written materials are complete, succinct, and free of writing errors.

2. Skill to write documents clearly and concisely for review by various audiences.

3. Skill to completely and accurately record, in writing, information obtained regarding case investigations.

With this information, any candidate knows exactly what to study for and has a much better chance of getting a passing score than one who does not study.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4766 users online. 265 members and 4501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X