300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers Over 65

So, am I a turd to suggest drivers over 65 should ave to take a driving simulator test every two years or so?

In my experience older drivers becoming confused or being slow to respond caused quite a few wrecks and near wrecks.

Or, is there another way to ensure they are okay to drive?
    No way, no how.
    5.00%
    Only if cited for a moving violation in the last two years
    13.33%
    Yes - if involved in an accident in the previous two years
    23.33%
    Yes - make it mandatory
    58.33%
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
    So, am I a turd to suggest drivers over 65 should ave to take a driving simulator test every two years or so?

In my experience older drivers becoming confused or being slow to respond caused quite a few wrecks and near wrecks.

Or, is there another way to ensure they are okay to drive?

I would agree that maybe a driver needs to requalify once he/she reaches a certain age. I was driving to the right of, and slightly behind a minivan today that swerved in and out of my lane several times. I sped up to pass it because that made me leary and I looked over and it was a guy that was as old as like, dirt. He was probably falling asleep at the wheel or something.

I knew of an older lady that filed like 4 or 5 "hit and run" claims on her auto insurance in like a 3 year period. We always had the feeling she was hitting stuff and not remembering...she seemed slightly senile. Nice lady, though.

Comment

Old drivers are by far some of the worst drivers out there. Their reaction time is way too slow, similar to that of their driving.

Comment

I'll do you one better. I fully beleive that ALL drivers should have to retest every few years. Something along the line of every 2 years for drivers under 25 and over 65, and every 8 years for those in between. I'd even like to see provisions that if you get too many moving violations or accidents, its time to check on how you're doing skill wise.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowing-Dee
          Old drivers are by far some of the worst drivers out there. Their reaction time is way too slow, similar to that of their driving.
          Very well said. My mothers friend (who is 80ish) just took a defensive driving course for 65 and older drivers, and was asked...who still drives the freeways. when 4 people said they did he told them to stop. reaction time is slowed too much.

Ever since my accident my mother has been very timed about freeways and has found a new way to my place due to this fear. Hell, after my accident, Im a little scared about the people on the freeways also. bUt then again the guy was parked, and double the legal limit, with a case in the back of his jeep.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

[QUOTE=SRT936]I'll do you one better. I fully beleive that ALL drivers should have to retest every few years. Something along the line of every 2 years for drivers under 25 and over 65, and every 8 years for those in between. I'd even like to see provisions that if you get too many moving violations or accidents, its time to check on how you're doing skill wise.[/QUOTE]

actully in Texas, theres a provision that if you get three or more moving violations they have the RIGHT to take, but it doesnt happen unless its DWI's.

but driving is NOT a right.
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

I said yes, mandatory.

I've seen some horrifyingly bad drivers out there who were simply too degenerated by their age to drive safely. One guy I saw with the local police had actually hit a pedestrian with his mirror. The poor guy thought he was going to be arrested and thrown in prison but he was told the woman was only concerned that he may need to be retested with DMV. The man said he was going to give up driving. He's lucky he didn't kill her.

The bottom line is once you get older your body is going to degenerate. This includes eyes, nerves, etc.
              -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Absolutely should be mandatory after a certain age. I've sent far too many older drivers in for retests after crashes or other major violations.

My favorite example of this is a call I got of a hit-skip where another motorist followed a vehicle after it hit a parked car. Located the vehicle and driver, who was an elderly female. Inspected the vehicle and saw multiple paint transfer colors on the side mirror. She would use her side mirror as "curb feelers" to figure out if she was too close to vehicles parked on the street.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Retested ? What a joke....The reason there are some many bad drivers in the first place is because the DMV test is a joke. As long as you don't crash into a light pole they will pass you. Then people wonder why car insurance is so expensive.

The DMV should have there own test cars and install a navigation monitor, CB, laptop, a baby in the back seat and a booming car radio and all of these should be ON during the test.

Also the test should consist of at least a half hour on the road, the test should include actual highway driving, nighttime driving, rush hour traffic and tighter parallel parking.

Talking on a cell phone (of course hands free) should be part of the test also.

If you can't drink till your 21 then you shouldn't be driving till your 21. Teenagers nowadays are just not as mature as 20 years ago.

So all you LEO's that complain about the horrible drivers out there whatever age they are should start pointing the finger at the root of the problem and that being the DMV's testing procedures.

Comment

What about people who are NOT elderly and still can't drive? What should we do with them?

Comment

Just make sure they use the right-hand lane on the highway and that all Buicks and Cadillacs have devices that cancel the left turn signal after it has been on for more than thirty seconds without the wheel turning.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936
                        I'll do you one better. I fully beleive that ALL drivers should have to retest every few years. Something along the line of every 2 years for drivers under 25 and over 65, and every 8 years for those in between. I'd even like to see provisions that if you get too many moving violations or accidents, its time to check on how you're doing skill wise.

I agree with this post. I have seen some pretty good 70 yoa drivers, but pretty bad 30 yoa drivers. Make it manatory for all ages.

Comment

If there is a demostrated need then retest a driver (whatever their age is). Age effects everyone differently (Paul Newman was still racing at 78). To make a blanket policy to punish all because of a few is not what this country is based on.

Comment

Originally posted by jdh
                            If there is a demostrated need then retest a driver (whatever their age is). Age effects everyone differently (Paul Newman was still racing at 78). To make a blanket policy to punish all because of a few is not what this country is based on.

Don't even get me started on the drinking age, this country is based on a blanket policy.

Comment

I wouldn't go with mandatory retesting for EVERYONE. That wouldn't do any good. The problem with tests in general is that you study/practice, do well on them, and then you forget whatever you've learned and go back to your normal behavior if it's something that you would have to do every once in a while like that.

Plus like vikingjunior said, most driving tests are dumb and are barely applicable to real driving. Let's see...for the MD test, the gist of it is driving around the little obstacle course set-up they have...you parallel park in a huge space, reverse like 50 feet, do a 3-point turn, and then make sure to stop at a stop sign. That's it.

Going off of traffic violations and stuff though seems like a good idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4212 users online. 230 members and 3982 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X