300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depth perception

I have bad depth perception due to a lazy eye. My question is will this effect anything with a medical exam in the hiring process for police officer/sheriff?
    Last edited by travel_light; 01-13-2007, 12:23 AM.
    Post clever signature here.....

Originally posted by travel_light
    I have bad depth perception due to a lazy eye. My question is will this effect anything with a medical exam in the hiring process for police officer/sheriff?

as long as you can pass the eye test and driving test, you will be fine.

One of our Lt. has a lazy eye...it didn't stop him from getting to where he is today.

Comment

Originally posted by travel_light
      I have close to zero depth perception for the same reason as you (amblyopia). This wasn't a bar to me getting hired because the closest thing I had to a pre-employment physical was me asking, "Do you have a minimum vision requirement?" with the reply being, "Do you see okay without your glasses?" I replied "Yes," which was close to a total falsehood, and was told , "That's fine." In fact, I can walk around without my glasses and not bump into anything, but if I have to read anything more that a couple of feet away, I'm hopeless. Worse yet, because of the amblyopia, I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other.

You have to be aware of this limitation, even though it won't matter 99% of the time. I had five patrol vehicle accidents in 15 years - four minor, one major. Three of the minor ones occurred while backing up in the motor pool. My lack of depth perception was a factor in all three, in my view.

By the way, the major accident involved someone turning left in front of me, so depth perception wasn't an issue there. I saw the other vehicle just fine, and the only distance information that mattered was that I was never going to be able to stop in time.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

You'd think a lack of depth perception would cause some serious problems when driving and possibly shooting.

Comment

Take a look at:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Vision.pdf

It explains a lot of concerns regarding this issue.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Slowing-Dee
            You'd think a lack of depth perception would cause some serious problems when driving and possibly shooting.
            I don't have depth perception either -- no obstacle to driving, shooting or flying. Catching a baseball isn't too easy for me, though.
            summer - winter - work

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5238 users online. 330 members and 4908 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X