300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Metropolitan Police

Who here works for MPDC? I have a question...
    Last edited by ; 12-29-2006, 04:07 PM.

Well scratch that question, I found an answer. However, now I have another question...how come the ride-along I went on a few weeks back in DC was so boring? All we did is transport arrestees and then some lady called about people on the roof of her apartment building...dumb. Then some cabdriver was ****ed because his rider wouldn't pay the fare up front...dumb. Random other dumb stuff.

A gunshots call that came in we couldn't even respond to...the officer was told to stay in his area and he said it was because I was in the car. I mean, what's the point of me signing that waiver that relieves the MPD of any liability if something happens to me, if I still can't go to anything good???

Comment

Which district were you in? Maybe things have changed, I dunno. A few years back I did a ride along in the 5th District (NE) which I intentionally picked because of it being notoriously busy. I also went on a Saturday night, for the same reason. The officer I rode with let me get out of the car at each stop, and we were first unit in on a stabbing call, shots fired, etc. And she said it was a fairly quiet night from what she's used to.

So... maybe you chose a slow time in a slow station, or maybe they've changed their policy??

Comment

Well, I was invited to ride-along along on a Thursday night. It was a Midnight shift in NW. He did say that a weekend would be way busier. I mean, it was neat to be able to see what a typical shift was like, I guess. I knew it wouldn't be the way it seems on COPS, non-stop action. But I was expecting way more than what I got for 7 hours, especially in DC.

I think one problem is is that he's too nice and/or too lazy. He'd stop people for traffic, but he lets them go as long as they're nice and apologetic. He doesn't even make it a "valid" stop, like calling it in and running plates or asking for ID or what have you...he just lights 'em up, gets out, talks with them, and then when they're like "Sorry Officer..." or whatever, he lets them go on about their business.

It was a nice experience though. One thing I did notice was a police cruiser yields a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different driving experience than being in a regular car. People are sooooooooo much more polite to you

I just think I need to ride along with a more proactive/mean cop!

Comment

Obviously, you have been watching too much "COPS"! The definition of law enforcement is the same as that of flying: "Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror." Be thankful that you were able to experience the ride-along and enjoy the tranquility of an evening of driving about with an experienced officer who gave you that honor.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yes, perhaps you missed this part of my previous post: "I knew it wouldn't be the way it seems on COPS, non-stop action."

Calm down, it's not that serious. I liked it for what it was, but if I wanted a "tranquil" evening, I could've stayed at home and slept.

But overall, it was enjoyable and I am glad I was asked to go along.

Comment

It all depends on who you ride with. They probably won't put you with the aggressive active officer for obvious reasons. I ride with a friend of mine in a city of 20k people, dry county, no bars, etc. And we get dope busts, DWI's, etc quite often. Of course he stops 15 people a night, so.

Comment

Well I wasn't "put" with anyone, this guy WAS a friend of mine.

Comment

Well, if and/or ever you become a cop, you can play the part ("COPS") 24-7. You say you expected alot more..?? If you're not familiar with the concept yet, because you're still a civilian; Police work is mundane one minute, blind terror the next. Or, next time you ever do a ride-along with Metro D.C., venture East of the Anacostia River in S.E. and ask to ride w/ a hard charger next time.(As opposed to your friend, who you noted as being lazy). It may still be mundane for ya. Or, who knows, next time you may be a shining example as to why depts make you sign a waiver.

Comment

I will once again point out my previous statement, "I knew it wouldn't be the way it seems on COPS, non-stop action", since everyone wants to swear that's what I thought.

And I grew up in Baltimore, dear...SE DC ain't got nothin' on Bmore, so don't imply that I'ma get in SE and be all shook. I party in DC all the time, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LongLegz
                      I will once again point out my previous statement, "I knew it wouldn't be the way it seems on COPS, non-stop action", since everyone wants to swear that's what I thought.

And I grew up in Baltimore, dear...SE DC ain't got nothin' on Bmore, so don't imply that I'ma get in SE and be all shook. I party in DC all the time, anyway.

LOLOLOLOLOL- another "Bmore careful" booster !!!funny but a young man at a warehgouse near where I patrol is from there also and he complains that L.A. is wilder and MORE dangerous than Baltimore,whereas out here we "think" places like DC are bullet riddled death traps!!!!! Young lady( I'm assuming) ,if you want to go into police work, make NO mention of wanting "action",thats going to happen no matter what-they are looking(alot of agencies) for "sober minded",quiet professionals. and Why DC? Baltimore County needs "Bodies" badly( they were even down south as far as Puerto rico this yr trying to get folks) and B'county pays way more than Baltimore city.Plus you have various agencies from the county police depts(Va,MD)Fed gov't police units(Va,DC,Md),ala capitol Police,Park Police, and several Transit PD units,so make sure you apply around and have "options".If you see yourself in the DC blues, study up on what the agerncy wants and how you make the ideal candidate for those wants/needs-good luck.......
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Yes, thank you for your advice, but I actually have 0% interest in becoming a cop, and I'm not sure why everyone is inferring that because I've definitely never said it. The ride-along was for entertainment purposes only. I was invited on one, so I went.
                        I like, respect, and admire cops, but I definitely would not have the patience for it and I'd most likely end up fired because I can be a little too smart-mouthed for my own good.
                        The ride-along was great! I guess I'd have to go on a weekend though to see more, even my cop friend had said that. It was just very interesting, his whole policing style. That's all.

Comment

Roughest part of Baltimore, is no different than the roughest part of D.C. Thats a fact. The ONLY difference, is Baltimore has so much more of it (rought areas). So, I do agree with your assessment of Baltimore. Baltimore is argualby, the biggest armpit and ugliest city on the Eastern Seaboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159
                            So, I do agree with your assessment of Baltimore. Baltimore is argualby, the biggest armpit and ugliest city on the Eastern Seaboard.
                            Hey, hey, hey, let's not get carried away. Baltimore is a very beautiful city and has many fine areas. It's just that the rough parts (that every city has) are REALLY rough.

Comment

No disrespect. But, Baltimore a "Beautiful" city??? Unfortunately, the vast majority of folks out there would strongly disagree with you. Especially, folks familiar with the area. San Diego, thats a beautiful city. Paris, thats a beautiful city. Seattle, thats a beautiful city. B-more....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4468 users online. 262 members and 4206 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X