300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Age

Teenagers are the most accident-prone age group, at least in America. Here in Ohio, I'm pretty sure the age you can get a license is 16, and the age for getting a learners' permit is 15 1/2, although I've heard rumors of the learners' permit age being changed to 16 and the license age to 16 1/2.

So, if you could change the requirements for obtaining a drivers' license, specifically the age requirements, what would you make it? Alcohol and tobacco age limits?

Personally, I find the older I get, the more accidents/tickets I have.

Comment

I've always been an advocate of a graduated license scale. 15 1/2 is fine for a learner's permit and 16 is ok for a normal driver's license, but I think that there should be lessening restrictions as a person goes from 16-18. Things like restricted to daylight driving and number of passengers in the vehicle below age 18.

Of course, I also think that there should be mandatory retesting for people after a certain age. And I'm talking about the whole test, written and driving.

Chances of either ever happening (especially the retesting after a certain age) is slim.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

They have the graduated licensing scale in NC. As a parent I think its the best thing the state has ever done. I agree, I would love to see the scale lengthened to at least 17 or 18.

In NC they have a 9pm curfew unless they're with a parent or a licensed driver of at least 5yrs. My daughter was in Marching Band and my son was in JROTC and they did allow for them to drive home from school functions if it were past 9pm. That was pretty easy to prove because that usually only happened on Friday night Football games, or Band Competitions.

If they would lengthen it from 16.5 to 17 or 18 it would help out in a lot of ways. They could stay under the family insurance plan with out it going up. It would give them more experience when they had to provide their own insurance. And most of all more driving experience.

Plus, I have to say that I had really good kids, that normally listened to us.
        but it was nice to have the back up of well, you know the curfew of such and such a time, and not get any arguments. If they raised the age limit I think the curfew should go up with age to at least midnight maybe 1pm but beyond that they have no business being out any later, that would cover a 9pm movie, even stopping for food, and time to get home.

My daughter total loss her 1st vehicle within 30 days of getting her actual license. She thought that since she had her license she knew everything about driving. When we would point out she was driving too fast or how to handle different road conditions we were stupid and she knew it all because she had her full license.

I don't know that I would change the alcohol or tobacco laws they are fine, at least in NC. The only thing that I ever seen wrong with the alcohol laws was that my son could fight for our country and place his life on the line but he was not allowed to buy a beer. Not that I think he should be drinking, because I prefer that he does not, but when he was 20 and home visiting he told me he wanted to drink a beer ... what was I going to say, well son you can go to S.Korea five miles from the DMZ, and Iraq and fight for our freedoms but you can't have a beer?? I think that one is kind of messed up.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Comment

Step 1: make drivers ed. a real class. I remember when I took it, it was a complete joke. Maybe things have changed since then but I doubt it.

Step 2: make EVERYONE have to "re-certify" every 5 years or so.

I bet that would fix a lot of problems.
          He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Comment

North Carolina also has a passenger restriction for the first six months as well. You are only allowed one passenger in your vehicle at a time.

This excludes family members. You may have as many of your immediate family members in the car that you want.

You must also have your learners permit for 365 days prior to earning your drivers license. You can get your permit upon completion of the drivers education and your 15th birthday.

Comment

Personally, I'd like to see the age increased to at least 18. I think driving ability is based on maturity at least to some extent. I know a driver instructor that stresses that driving is an attitude. Very true. Very few of his students have had any crashes.
              Chocolate cures all ailments

Memo:

Get over it already.

Comment

Originally posted by trouttrooper
                Step 1: make drivers ed. a real class. I remember when I took it, it was a complete joke. Maybe things have changed since then but I doubt it.
                Unless it has changed since I took it 6 years ago, it's still a joke.

Comment

One thing to consider, if we take away one more responsibility from teens, why would they start behaving as responsibly, as soon?

One good option would be to give parents the choice of adding or removing restrictions from the license. You pay the cost of a reprint when you're ready to remove the standardized restrictions, and you can mark the boxes on any new ones any time you want. You can even bring your own child back to a permit! That means that your rules will be availiable to the person pulling your kid over, and you will know that the rule was broken, and the powers that be will be backing you up, making the statement that yes, Mom and Dad's rules do apply. "But don't wory about them having to pay this Violation of Parental Imposed Restriction ticket; if you don't have the money, you will be given the option of working it off with comunity service. Now, it says here that they have chosen the option of

1. ."Me telling you to drive to where ever you're going, and contact them imediately, before going anywhere else. They'll get a form letter later, and they can call me any time OR they can call me at work, between..."
                  2. ."Me following you home/to school and taking your keys. If the keys make it to the station before my shift change, someone will call you."
                  or, 3. ."Me taking you to the station to wait for whichever of your parents can come and get you. Your car will be impounded. Yes, there's a fee. Your parents already know that you will will be responsible for that fee."

Or, "They chose number 1, but you said you're going to the lake? Only boating, you say? Well, some kids have been getting in trouble up there. Just let me call your parents. If I can't get ahold of them, I think, as the adult present at the time, and as I'm legally alowed to do, I had better require you to drive home. Your parents will get a form letter later, but if they have any questions, they can call me."

"Oh. And as far as what I pulled you over for..." Now the officer gets to decide whether to write another ticket .

Also, if a young driver is repeating the same mistakes, and his parents are not taking action to prevent those mistakes, they can be held responsible, and have to pay the same tickets.
                  Last edited by pvtbuddie; 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM.
                  lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbuddie
                    One thing to consider, if we take away one more responsibility from teens, why would they start behaving as responsibly, as soon?

One good option would be to give parents the choice of adding or removing restrictions from the license. You pay the cost of a reprint when you're ready to remove the standardized restrictions, and you can mark the boxes on any new ones any time you want. You can even bring your own child back to a permit! That means that your rules will be availiable to the person pulling your kid over, and you will know that the rule was broken, and the powers that be will be backing you up, making the statement that yes, Mom and Dad,s rules do apply. "But don't wory about them having to pay this Violation of Parental Imposed Restriction ticket; if you don't have the money, you will be given the option of working it off with comunity service. Now, it says here that they have chosen the option of

1. ."Me telling you to drive to where ever you're going, and contact them imediately, before going anywhere else. They'll get a form letter later, and they can call me any time OR they can call me at work, between..."
                    2. ."Me following you home/to school and taking your keys. If the keys make it to the station before my shift change, someone will call you."
                    or, 3. ."Me taking you to the station to wait for whichever of your parents can come and get you. Your car will be impounded. Yes, there's a fee. Your parents already know that you will will be responsible for that fee."

Or, "They chose number 1, but you said you're going to the lake? Only boating, you say? Well, some kids have been getting in trouble up there. Just let me call your parents. If I can't get ahold of them, I think, as the adult present at the time, and as I'm legally alowed to do, I had better require you to drive home. Your parents will get a form letter later, but if they have any questions, they can call me."

"Oh. And as far as what I pulled you over for..." Now the officer gets to decide whether to write another ticket .

Also, if a young driver is repeating the same mistakes, and his parents are not taking action to prevent those mistakes, they can be held responsible, and have to pay the same tickets.
                    I'm usually with you pvtbuddy and understand your logic and agree with most things you post. However, I don't get this one, maybe I need to re-read it a couple times.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Comment

in ohio they've made a new law that if your under 18, you can only have 1 passenger with you under 18. curfew here is midnight or 1, i can't remember. i agree with the whole thing though about being able to fight in a war, but not being able to have alcohol. i don't understand that either.

Comment

Originally posted by carolina
                        I don't get this one...
                        The quotes are all possible things a detaining officer may be saying to a teen who is violating the "Parental Imposed Restrictions."

Is that what you needed?
                        lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

My province recently switched over to a graduated licensing system, but there's a flaw in it. My friend only has a learner's permit. Because she is over 18 she doesn't need to drive with a legal guardian, just someone who has had their licence for a year. She can drive with as many passengers as she wants and at any time of the day she wants. As soon as she gets her licence, she can only drive with one passenger who isn't a relative. Needless to say she has no intentions of getting her licence any time soon, because she doesn't want all those restrictions placed on her.

Comment

Originally posted by trouttrooper
                            ...make EVERYONE have to "re-certify" every 5 years or so.
                            I bet that would fix a lot of problems.
                            Oh God, please no!

Not another thing to bog down the already horrifically inefficient employees of this nation’s DMV offices.

Privatize the DMV!! Capitalism made this country great, not the government…yet I still work for the government.
                            Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

My dad is a Drivers' Ed teacher here in Illinois. Yeah, for the most part, the class can be a total joke.

Illinois has the graduated licensing program. At 15 you can get your permit after passing written test and vision test. You have to get 50 hours of behind the wheel with a parent or someone approved by your parents over the age of 21 who has a driver's license. 10 of those hours must be at night. At 16, you are eligible to get your driver's license. For the first 6 months, you cannot have more than one person under 18 in the car, except family members. Also, at 16 you cannot drive past 11PM I believe it is unless coming from work, school event, etc.

If you are under the age of 18, you can only use a cell phone for emergencies while driving.

To obtain your license while under the age of 18, you must successfully complete a Drivers' Education program. At 18, you can just go get your license at the DMV. Your parents can have your license revoked while you are under the age of 18 however once revoked, you can't drive until you're 18.

I think the cell phone law should extend to all drivers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3100 users online. 142 members and 2958 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X