Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run

Hi,

If someone driving someone else’s car flees a car accident, does the owner of the car get arrested? Assuming the car was not stolen, but borrowed with the owner's consent.

I'm curious about this with and without witnesses. As in, nobody but the owner of the car knows someone else was driving it or someone witnessed the other driver flee.

What would the immediate reaction of the police be? How difficult would it be to get the car back?

Thanks,
    Justin

The operator of the motor vehicle is the person who decided not to stop, not the owner.

In California it is clear who is responsible.

20001 CVC. (a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to any person, other than himself or herself, or in the death of any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall fulfill the requirements of Sections 20003 and 20004.
    Retired

Comment

Right.

I wasn't clear. If the operator fled on foot, leaving the car behind, and got away, would the police immediately go to the car owner's house and arrest him/her?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Hayward
        Right.

I wasn't clear. If the operator fled on foot, leaving the car behind, and got away, would the police immediately go to the car owner's house and arrest him/her?
        Obviously the owner of the vehicle would be a suspect. But the police would conduct an invesitgation prior to aresting anyone. If the investigation revealed that the owner of the vehicle was responsible for the hit and run, then he or she would be subject to arrest. Clear now?
        Retired

Comment

Yes, that's great. Thanks.

Comment

... but it was Dietrich man, I'm telling you!
            Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Dithyrambe Sur La Fête Des Rois -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 231 members and 4389 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X