300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY

Well, finally, after waiting for so long, I called up the chief for my old city and told him who I was, how old, and how I had been allowed to ride along with Austin PD this summer while I was an intern. He agreed to let me do a ridealong next week during an evening shift with one of his officers. I'm very excited. Now I just hope I don't make a complete a** out of myself.

Any tips? (on how not to make an a** out of myself )

Tex
    KD5HQD

[ 08-16-2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: kd5hqd ]

Wear nice clothes, bring lunch money. Stay quiet, don't bug the officer. Wait to ask questions until you two are alone. Don't ever interrupt or speak in a situation involving other parties unless directly spoken to. And remember, you are not an officer, only an observer.

I'm sure you already know that but I have known of some Explorers and observers who start thinking that just because they are riding along, that they are in some sort of authority position.
    No partner is worth your tears -
    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Yes, I do know to wear nice clothes. I did several with APD. One was after a roundup. One of the guys I had gone with during the roundup offered to take me the rest of the day (he was with a narc division) and we got to drive around in a marked unit, waiting for a call from an undercover about someone buying drugs at a location. (when we got the call we were going to pull over the vehicle for any traffic violation and then offer them a deal: tell us what you just did, who was there, etc... and you can go) That was very fun.

I also did the alcohol stings which were fun.

Luckily, every time, the officers I was with were very nice, and were very open. They told me they didn't mind questions at all and enjoyed having the company.

Tex
      KD5HQD

Comment

Kyle,

Think about Frank Booth would do. Then do just the opposite. [Wink] You'll be fine!
        6P1 (retired)

Comment

Well, I did it and had a blast, coures I finished a little early, which will be explained below.

It started off slow. I was riding with the Liuetenant who had set it all up (Liuetenant was on patrol b/c it's only a 23 officer department, including the chief.) Anyways, after a little driving around, he saw two different trucks pulling trailers and did a U-ey, saying one of them had to have some violation. Sure enough, one braked, and a taillight was out. He pulled it over, and wrote the ticket. Driving down the same street, a car passes us doing 53 in a 30 zone. Pulled her over too.

Now, we get a call from an officer already at a call, asking for assisstance. So we hightail it over there. (I was never allowed out of the car, which I expected, but he had his wireless mic on, so I could hear in the car.) I was there for about 45 mins. until I find out it was a domestic call like the one from the night before at the same address. It seems the lady had been choking her 6 year old daughter the night before, and her husband had scratches on his neck today. This call originally started as a 911 hang up. THey 3 officers, due to Texas law, were required to arrest the lady. They had her in the back of the car already because they had been questioning her. She just had no idea she was being arrested. When they asked her to turn around to put the cuffs on her, she started crying and throwing a fit. He later told me they were this close to using OC on her to get the cuffs on her. She finally complied and we took her back to the station. I only had about 1 1/2 hours left, and he told me that booking would take a while, so I made an early departure, thanking him for taking me around.

What an exciting day!

Tex
          KD5HQD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4299 users online. 303 members and 3996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X