Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Video* Detained at DWI Checkpoint for not divulging destination information

LINK TO VIDEO:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60390403&hl=en

This is my only other video of this kind. I'd like to know what reason the officer had to legally detain me at this checkpoint and would you have done it. Also I would like to know what you think about officers driving everyone's cars and in general what you think of these checkpoints.

Early Saturday morning around 2AM, I was headed to get something to eat before heading home. I got stopped at a DWI checkpoint and was asked to give the officer my license and insurance, which I did. I was then asked where I was going and when I told the officer, "I don't wish to discuss my personal life with you officer", they decided to hassle me and illegally detain me.

In the video, you can see me coming up to the checkpoint and the officer ordering me out of my car after we finally establish leaving my car (manual transmission) running on a steep hill is not a good idea. I lock my doors, but the officer takes my keys. He tells me we are going to have an investigation because I didn't want to have one before. Although DWI checkpoints are legal, I am under no obligation to answer personal questions and it is not a valid reason to detain someone since it doesn't invoke probable cause.

After the officer kills my car and burns up the clutch, they finally are able to move my car to the side of the road. Why are the police in my car? That is an illegal search. They were purposely getting people out while in the one lane of traffic so they could do this and have a chance to look around. You can clearly hear me lock the doors.

The original officer asks me where I'm going again and I tell him the same thing. He asks if I've had anything to drink and I tell him no. He then goes to run my license while two other officers stand by me.(Can't hear this on the video)

I ask them why I'm detained and one tells me if I "don't stop running my mouth they're going to find a reason to lock me up tonight". I said for asking why I'm being detained in a normal voice? He repeated about me being arrested. I then told him the stop was being recorded. I asked him again why. The same officer replays, "because I don't have a license". I told him I did and that I gave it to the officer. I continue to ask why I was detained, but he was done talking to me. What a surprise. He sarcastically says, "19 years old and you know everything". -End of Video-

Finally after about 15 minutes, the original officer comes back and tells me I can leave. I ask him why I was detained and he told me it was because I didn't want to have a conversation with him. I ask about my clutch and he brings over his supervisor. His supervisor tells me my car probably had clutch problems before. I told him that wasn't the case and I've had it recently replaced.

I also asked why I was detained for not answering where I was going. The supervisor says I'm sure that wasn't the only reason, but you can clearly see from the video it is.

I also asked why officers were getting in vehicles, and that they should stop cars out of the flow of traffic so the officer doesn't get to search all the cars. The supervisor told me he wasn't going to discuss it.

I STRONGLY disapprove of DWI drivers, but I feel the same way about DWI Checkpoints. They are very ineffective and there are far more arrests for other crimes than DWI. Officers trained in spotting DWI behavior on the road, can stop and arrest a far higher percentage of drivers for DWI then checkpoints.

Early Saturday morning around 2AM,
    Higher percentage of drunk drivers. Hence, the DWI checkpoint!

I was headed to get something to eat before heading home.
    Why didn't you just say so? You don't mind telling the whole world on Google, but you couldn't tell this cop?

I got stopped at a DWI checkpoint and was asked to give the officer my license and insurance, which I did. I was then asked where I was going and when I told the officer, "I don't wish to discuss my personal life with you officer", they decided to hassle me and illegally detain me.
    If you were "illegally" detained, so was everyone else stopped at the checkpoint. Your argument should be with the agency using checkpoints, not the officers doing their assignment. Oh, BTW, the officer asked in a nice, polite voice where you were going. Your answer was WIERD! This, in law enforcement, is known as a CLUE. You chose to be addressed further; the officer didn't single you out, you did it yourself. (Yes, I realize this was the whole point: look as suspicious as possible, tape it, and try to discredit the officers.)

Although DWI checkpoints are legal, I am under no obligation to answer personal questions and it is not a valid reason to detain someone since it doesn't invoke probable cause.
    You aren't obligated at any time to answer anything. Just thought I'd throw that in, since you're big on Miranda. You can stay as silent as you want. The police can investigate what looks more and more like a violation with every strange thing you do and say.

Why are the police in my car?
    Probably because if you were really drunk, they don't want to let you back in because you might run, hurting or killing someone.

Couldn't hear or see anything else on the video, so I won't comment.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Video Taping?

Seems to me that someone was looking for an argument. And no, not everyone feels the need to just so happen to drive through a vehicle checkpoint with a video camera rolling.

Unsaid Conversation

The most important parts, you can't hear (outside conversation with officers, argument possibly?) . When you say "no, I don't want to discuss what I'm doing at 2am" it sounds suspicious. Remember, driving is not a right, it's a priviledge, a priviledge that can easily be lost. Hence, a DWI checkpoint. If someone mouths off, that's a red flag to a bigger problem.

Overall, your reasons behind driving through this stop were apparent to most of us on here. I feel your story is like swiss cheese, full of holes with no substance. If you feel your rights were "infringed", I suggest you call the ACLU. But, I would like to hear the actual reason you had for videotaping a drive through a checkpoint in court.... always love a good laugh.
      Last edited by Stop Resisting; 11-28-2006, 05:45 PM.
      "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

Someone needs to get a life.
        Last edited by Catman; 12-31-2006, 05:52 PM.
        The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
        Twitter Facebook

Comment

School cop, I've been at these stops before and one question leads to another. They want to arrest for any reason and there is just no need to talk.

Everyone else is briefly being detained as aloud by the Supreme Court. But not everyone is getting pulled from there car and having their info checked. This is only supposed to happen if the officer has probable cause to believe the person is intoxicated.

Stop Resisting, I wasn't intending to drive thru a checkpoint that night. They don't say where they are going to be and this was right around the corner. In the state of Missouri, if you avoid a checkpoint, even legally, you'll be stopped by a chase car and go thru the same thing as the checkpoint and probably more. I couldn't plan this and one of the reasons I posted was to show that I don't go looking for trouble, it finds me.

Do you really think I mouthed off? I kept calling him officer and I was very calm about it. Had I wanted to cause a conflict when he ask where I was headed, I would have said something like, "to go see your wife".

Comment

This guy is a troll and clearly has self-esteem and attention issues. I suggest that we no longer respond his obvious and pitful attempts for attention and validation that he actually is somebody worth listenting to (which he will never be until he grows up, and its not looking to good that'll ever happen right now).

If this board has an ignore function someone please pm with instructions on how to use it so I can add the youngster to it and save precious space on my computer screen by having the blissful abscence of these posts .

Comment

It seems to me all you are trying to do is a search with your video camera for some cop to treat you like crap. You need to get a life and leave the police work to us. If you have a problem with a certain situation, take it up with that agency. You need to go there instead of coming here and looking for one of us to justify you trying to put your nose where it doesn't belong. It ain't gonna happen. Take a hike kiddo.
              Nemo me impune lacessit.

Comment

Why couldnt you put your car in neutral, keep it running and put the e-brake on?

Just curious....
                Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Well, I don't intent to feed a low self-esteem troll, but:

One more little thing. You admit to having a police scanner. You do this quite often where you look for times and places to tape cops. And you mean to tell me you just so happened to be driving along, with a police scanner on listening to the traffic and no doubt the very same vehicle checkpoint, and just ran into it by accident? And then lock your doors in a lane of traffic, get angry the cops move your car to keep traffic moving, and just so happen to have officers say you were arguing, but then have no evidence to back up you weren't?

I smell something that comes from cows.

PS, carry a small digital tape recorder to pick up the most important parts of conversations/arguments. You'd think you would've already done this by now, since you do it so much, but for some reason I think that recorder would pickup more than you would want us to hear.

no more troll feeding
                  "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

What's so hard about being honest? You would've been on your merry way in much less time than it took you to type that post and upload the video.
                    summer - winter - work

Comment

you seem like nothing but a cop basher.. You obviously keep looking for nothing but loopholes, it's this kind of thing that made America a Legalistic society, and ultimately it's this kind of thing that stops a cop from pulling the trigger when nessesary because he's worried of getting sued... The world is full enough of people critisizing those in blue, we don't need another with a video camera... how about posting video of the last time you had a polite cooperative traffic stop and you didn't say, "I'm sorry officer, i don't wish to discuss how wrecklessly I was driving back there."

btw. you mention you have a problem with the not pulling over everyone they stop: you SERIOUSLY expect a guy with a .14 BAC to parralell park at 2 AM? geez..
                      Last edited by 2Adam29; 11-28-2006, 06:10 PM.
                      -2Adam29... 10-8. Code-7

Comment

Just answer the frickin' question and you won't have any problems! You have more problems than 10 people. How is it that one guy going to get food at 2:00 am can have so many problems with an officer, but I can stuff 8 full sized drunks in my car that I really don't know who they are, they were just at a party that got broken up and relocated and then broken up again and needed a ride home. One of the guys snuck an open can of beer in there and I didn't notice. I got stopped and let the officer search my car. It lasted a whole 5 minutes and the officer never found the can of beer the guy was holding on to. He didn't even make me get out of my car. Do you know why it was so easy? Because I didn't give him any hassle. WTF is so secretive about "I'm going to get some food"?

If you really don't want to tell the officer where you're going tell him/her:
                        "I'm just out for a drive, officer." Wasn't that hard?

Here's rough transcript of my last DUI Checkstop one night.

Officer: Good morning. Can I have your licence and registration please?
                        Me: (confused look) It's the evening, officer.
                        Officer: How do you know?
                        Me: Because I got off of work a few hours ago and I work during the day.
                        Officer: We're looking for drunk drivers this evening. Have you had anything to drink?
                        Me: No.
                        Officer: Are you sure?
                        Me: Yes.
                        Officer: What's the square root of 3686?
                        Me: I have no clue, officer. I almost failed math in grade twelve.
                        Officer:(laughing) You're drunk!
                        Last edited by Slowing-Dee; 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima Lover

Early Saturday morning around 2AM,
                          a time conveniently chosen by you.
                          it's also the time most bars begin to close.
                          I was headed to get something to eat before heading home.
                          another MO of someone just leaving a bar.
                          I got stopped at a DWI checkpoint
                          poor baby.
                          and was asked to give the officer my license and insurance, which I did.
                          smart move
                          I was then asked where I was going
                          a legitimate question.
                          and when I told the officer, "I don't wish to discuss my personal life with you officer", they decided to hassle me and illegally detain me.
                          you're a regular smartass aren't you.
                          the cop did not "illegally detain" you.
                          you became evasive, the cop smelled blood, simple as that.

In the video,
                          i'm not watching your propaganda.
                          you can see me coming up to the checkpoint and the officer ordering me out of my car after we finally establish leaving my car (manual transmission) running on a steep hill is not a good idea.
                          why didn't you shut the car off and put it in low gear?
                          besides, haven't you ever hear of a "chock"?
                          I lock my doors,
                          why?
                          but the officer takes my keys.
                          probably he felt you were a flight risk.
                          He tells me we are going to have an investigation because I didn't want to have one before.
                          before? oh, you must mean the stalking incident earlier.
                          Although DWI checkpoints are legal,
                          what a genius.
                          I am under no obligation to answer personal questions and it is not a valid reason to detain someone since it doesn't invoke probable cause.
                          right on the first part, wrong on the second.
                          you wouldn't know probable cause if it was stomping your guts out.
                          After the officer kills my car and burns up the clutch,
                          keep hassling the cops and that's going to be the least of your worries.
                          they finally are able to move my car to the side of the road.
                          okay.
                          Why are the police in my car?
                          uh, because they are searching it?
                          That is an illegal search.
                          i've been through this one before as others on this board will tell you.
                          i also thought "illegal search" but after discussing it i found the search to be legit.
                          to be honest i don't believe a word you say. sue me.
                          They were purposely getting people out while in the one lane of traffic so they could do this and have a chance to look around. You can clearly hear me lock the doors.
                          i didn't hear anything.
                          The original officer asks me where I'm going again and I tell him the same thing.
                          so?
                          He asks if I've had anything to drink
                          a perfectly legit question at a DWI checkpoint wouldn't you say?
                          and I tell him no.
                          they all say no, even the ones that are stone drunk.
                          He then goes to run my license while two other officers stand by me.
                          another perfectly legit thing to do.
                          I ask them why I'm detained and one tells me if I "don't stop running my mouth they're going to find a reason to lock me up tonight".
                          so?
                          I said for asking why I'm being detained in a normal voice?
                          it's more likely for stalking the other officer earlier.
                          He repeated about me being arrested.
                          so?
                          I then told him the stop was being recorded.
                          they probably looked at you knowingly and said yes, we know.
                          I asked him again why.
                          why what?
                          The same officer replays, "because I don't have a license". I told him I did and that I gave it to the officer. I continue to ask why I was detained, but he was done talking to me. What a surprise. He sarcastically says, "19 years old and you know everything".
                          keep pushing it moron.
                          Finally after about 15 minutes, the original officer comes back and tells me I can leave. I ask him why I was detained and he told me it was because I didn't want to have a conversation with him. I ask about my clutch and he brings over his supervisor. His supervisor tells me my car probably had clutch problems before. I told him that wasn't the case and I've had it recently replaced.
                          was your face captured in the video?

I also asked why I was detained for not answering where I was going. The supervisor says I'm sure that wasn't the only reason, but you can clearly see from the video it is.
                          it was a legal stop, YOU decided to be evasive. end of story.
                          I also asked why officers were getting in vehicles, and that they should stop cars out of the flow of traffic so the officer doesn't get to search all the cars. The supervisor told me he wasn't going to discuss it.
                          do they usually pull over everyone at DWI checkpoints.

I STRONGLY disapprove of DWI drivers,
                          LIAR. or you wouldn't be such an *******.
                          but I feel the same way about DWI Checkpoints.
                          then you could scream at the top of your lungs about cops not doing their job

my opinion? the cops wanted to find out what kind of person parks behind them on dark secluded highways and just sits there.
                          my previous opinion of you in the other thread was dead on.
                          Last edited by leopold99; 11-28-2006, 10:42 PM. Reason: repaired quote tags

Comment

More people talk themselves into jail than out of it.In some states (Louisiana is one ) a field interview is an integral(sp) part of the investigation.Give us a break and go back to livetalk or whatever the hell forum you crawled out from under.
                            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Why is anyone responding to this nimrod (no offense to nimrods everywhere) and just feeding into his b.s.? Why hasn't he been banned yet?
                              Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1753 users online. 147 members and 1606 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X