300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop Logic

Which of these calls would you respond to first? Why?

You are in a one-man unit, exactly 2 miles from both calls, each in the opposite direction. You can be either place in under three minutes. You are a two-year veteran, but no specialized training over the academy. It is 02:00 on a Sunday Morning. You have no back up available. Closest unit is 15 minutes away.

Call 1 - a burglar there now, occupied residence, owner locked herself inside the upstairs bathroom with her her three kids. She states her husband is a cop but is he is away at a training class. RP reports the window crashed and then she started hearing multiple voices downstairs, screaming profanities and threats to kill her if she doesn't come out.

Call 2 - armed robbery in progress at a convenience store. Suspect is a juvinile female with what is described as a shotgun, threatening to shoot the clerk. RP is a customer hiding in the storeroom. RP reports an additional three teenagers walked in and the suspect ordered them face down behind the counter.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
    Call 1 - owner locked herself inside the upstairs bathroom with her her three kids.
    Call 2 - armed robbery in progress at a convenience store. Suspect is a juvinile female with what is described as a shotgun, threatening to shoot the clerk.
    Ok, so first off, not an officer, yet, but I enjoy these thought provoking situations. I would go to call 2, because there is an actual threat of a firearm and in call one the RP is secure with her children in the bathroom. Just my opinon....

Comment

(like to mention I'm not a LEO yet...so not sure what the correct answer would be )

Tough one, I want to say call 1 just because there are kids involved; but I'm going to guess the robbers would've broken into the bathroom if they really wanted to instead of just trying to threaten her out. 15mins is enough time to break down the door....argh.

BUT I'm thinking i'm leaning towards the 2nd call due to the possibly that someone could be shot down any second.

I'll probably need alot of therapy sessions if something happend to the kids on call 1........
      Last edited by tinuviel; 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

First responders get priority. Their immediate families included.
        They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

This one is simple. Dispatch is responsible for assigning calls so you throw the monkey on their back, "Dispatch, which call would you like me to handle first?"

All kidding aside, based solely on the information you listed, both appear to pose equal risk to roughly the same number of victims. So, no matter which call you handle, a number of folks are going to be left in harms way and you will be criticised for whatever decision you make.

With this in mind, professional courtesy would probably tip the scales and I'd head over to the cop's house.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Tough call but....

I'd be going to the first.

Even taking the LE family out of the equation and making it any Joe Blow family.

If you're commiting an armed robbery, you're after money. Plain and simple. Firearm yes. But the intent is to get the cash, not to execute people.

If you're breaking into someones house, you generally aren't anouncing yourself to speed up the call-the-police-so-I-get-caught process by yelling out you're going to kill someone. These folks don't care if they're heard by her or a neighbour for that matter (there IS a "u" in "neighbour" as far as we cannucks are concerned). Heck, if she's locked in the bathroom, you're getting a free for all and getting out in less than 30 seconds.

No, if you break in KNOWING someones home and you announce your intention to kill them....you probably mean it. The DVD isn't the score these people are after, so seh's my #1 priority.

And going back to this specific scenario (i.e. LE family) that adds a rather nasty element of someone seeking revenge that further forces me into that decision.

Trix

Comment

Advise the wife to grab the shotgun and take care of buisness...

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone in uniform not going to call #1, and I don't blame them.

Its a 50-50 chance that they targeted the cops house for "personal" reasons, so you had better get moving on that one.

I wouldn't like it if I was the store clerk...but that's life...a bunch of crappy choices.

Comment

I'd probably go to the first call, however, if I was the lady I'd find myself some toilet bowl cleaner and windex, or something else with bleach and ammonia, get my kids as far from the furnace register as possible, get some face clothes and instruct the kids to urinate on them as much as possible and hold them to their face and breath into them and then dump one bottle of something down the vent, wait about a minute, dump the other bottle down the register and then run like hell and get the hell out of the house ASAP. Let the robbers suffocate on some chlorine gas. Once out, I'd call 911 back and inform them of what I did so that they can give the responding officer the message not to enter the house without a gas mask.

Comment

Assuming I don't have my superhuman powers like I do now, Call 1.

Not an easy call to make, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
                  You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Trix
                    I'd be going to the first.

Even taking the LE family out of the equation and making it any Joe Blow family.

If you're commiting an armed robbery, you're after money. Plain and simple. Firearm yes. But the intent is to get the cash, not to execute people.

If you're breaking into someones house, you generally aren't anouncing yourself to speed up the call-the-police-so-I-get-caught process by yelling out you're going to kill someone. .............

No, if you break in KNOWING someones home and you announce your intention to kill them....you probably mean it. The DVD isn't the score these people are after, so seh's my #1 priority.

And going back to this specific scenario (i.e. LE family) that adds a rather nasty element of someone seeking revenge that further forces me into that decision.

Trix

Agreed. The odds of there being an INTENDED killing at the first call is greater than at the second.
                    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

"Have the shift sergeant advise..."
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Probably one would be the smartest. There are kids inside the house, and it's the call where if one officer showed up, the guy might take off.

With the armed roberry, your sure to get hurt, or someone get hurt.

The female in the house is barricaded and safe for now. I doubt the individual would be likely to try to force himself in more, if you show up.

As far as the Robbery is concered. Your presence might make things worse.

Comment

C/O here, but if I was a road deputy I would take the first call.. You always back your brothers in blue, no matter what. I do belive in the blue thin line.

Comment

if there was a shift sgt out than no problem, take the first, sgt can go for 2 cd. but the way i read no one else is out. our policy is to call out nearest deputy or deputies that are off duty.

Comment

Non-LEO here... the question that keeps running through my head is: why does the burglar from the 1st call want her out of the bathroom? It could be something as simple as opening a safe, but coupled with the threats of violence, I'd wager he's a bit more serious than a scared punk.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6316 users online. 221 members and 6095 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X