300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gestapo Look

There is an agency here in Wyoming which has adopted what some are calling the "Gestapo" look for their uniforms.

Black, bloused trousers and tall, black leather boots, black shirts and black military utility trousers with all the pockets, etc.

How do you guys feel about the military look and feel to civilian police, vs a more approachable, traditional uniform.

As a contrast, some sheriff's offices here use a uniform shirt and Wrangler blue jeans, cowboy boots and indeed, a western, bullrider brimmed hat.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
    There is an agency here in Wyoming which has adopted what some are calling the "Gestapo" look for their uniforms.

Black, bloused trousers and tall, black leather boots, black shirts and black military utility trousers with all the pockets, etc.

How do you guys feel about the military look and feel to civilian police, vs a more approachable, traditional uniform.

As a contrast, some sheriff's offices here use a uniform shirt and Wrangler blue jeans, cowboy boots and indeed, a western, bullrider brimmed hat.
    Unless they have lightning bolts on the uniform, death's head patches, carry daggers or PPK's and are their to take me to the "refugee camp for displaced persons" I'm not worried.

(If they have actual nazi stampings on the gun, they they aught to be worried about being mugged for the weapons...but that is a seperate issue)

Comment

any PIc ?????
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

...........double post...........
        Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-25-2006, 02:48 PM.

Comment

After the hurricanes of 2004 when my part of Florida was without power for 9+ days and the entire agency was put on 12 hours shifts, we were forced to wear “alternate” uniforms since laundry without electricity is pretty much impossible.

We found ourselves wearing jeans with polos and sometimes with tee-shirts. The public as a whole was MUCH more receptive to the “casual” look as opposed to the standard uniform.

Also, as a detective I can tell you that, having worn both, people are much more likely to speak freely to someone in business or casual attire than to someone in a uniform.

That is not to say that the traditional police uniform is no longer functional, but the more we start looking like the military the more we will alienate ourselves from the large number of our population who, for whatever reason, will be intimidated by such a look.

Outside of SWAT, there is no need for a combat/military style uniform except to fill the need of otherwise starving and misguided egos.
          Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

I like pierce county's uniform, your example may be way off but pierce county's uniform isnt really traditional

Comment

We had the standard class A when I started,which I refer as it looks more professional.We than went to the black,pull over shirt/bdu pants like you describe.After a few washings they are gray and look like crap.We now have the khaki 511s'bdu pants and a blue 511 shirt,can you say armed Catholic school kid? As most of our calls are rural /semi-rural.The pants are ok as they dont get torn up as bad.But as stated I still prefer the class A.Heck finally got my stripes and no where to put them now.
              Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

More comfortable and tactically sound (BDU rip-stop pants/shirt). For me, anyway.

Comment

I really don't have a problem with it. In some cases a "harder" appearence may be necessary. Years ago "Law & Order" magazine did an article on more militant styles of uniforms & the general consensus was that it was all in the eye of the beholder & PDs shouldn't be apologetic for their uniforms. I agree wholheartedly. If you want to see a Gestapo-type uniform, look at NYPD's Highway Patrol Division-- Riding boots & breeches, mid-thigh leather coats under a full Sam Browne rig & their soft 8-point caps. It's been 30 years since I lived there & I still remember those uniforms--they're grrrrrreat!

Comment

When I think of Nazi-like uniforms I think of the dress blouse with the shoulder strap and belt over top with the uniform cap. NJ State Police wear something like this in the winter. The uniforms Trooper is describing sound like Class B BDU's to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper

Wouldn't it be nice if the people using the word "Gestapo" actually new what it meant? Let alone what their uniforms (those that at least worn uniforms, seeing as in many cases they acted as secret police) actually looked like!
                      Last edited by cst.sb; 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I am but an amateur history fan, but isn't it the "Waffen SS" or "Wermacht SS" uniforms that people are referring to as being part of the Gestapo? Something from college long ago conjures up the term, Einsatzgruppe, whom (I think) also had the black uniforms.

Maybe I should dig out some old episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" to see what Major Hochschtetter was wearing.

Not sure, but didn't the Gestapo operate in plain clothes back then?

Me thinks this could turn into an interesting thread; but it is not the uniform the makes the officer - but the integrity behind the badge affixed to it.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Strictly based on looks, and nothing at all to do with symbolism .... the black uniform of a NAZI SS officer with the white piping and etc .... was one of the sharpest looking uniforms I have ever seen, breeches and boots and all.

There is a long history of police uniforms borrowing from military uniforms. A resident of a state where the state police wear breeches and boots and a blouse with shoulder straps and a campaign hat will come to accept such and expect it and will be as at ease with talking to an officer wearing it as the resident of a locality where the officers wear green Levis and khaki shirts and cowboy boots and Stetson will be.

There are many valid reasons for police officers to be dressed in readily recognizable and distinctive uniforms.

I also think BDUs have their place, and it's not on routine patrol.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

I am but an amateur history fan, but isn't it the "Waffen SS" or "Wermacht SS" uniforms that people are referring to as being part of the Gestapo? Something from college long ago conjures up the term, Einsatzgruppe, whom (I think) also had the black uniforms.

Maybe I should dig out some old episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" to see what Major Hochschtetter was wearing.

Not sure, but didn't the Gestapo operate in plain clothes back then?

Me thinks this could turn into an interesting thread; but it is not the uniform the makes the officer - but the integrity behind the badge affixed to it.
                            Well done!

dug around a bit more.. The Gestapo for the most part did not have an official uniform, as they were the "Secret Police", but wore the SS uniform on occasion when needed. (As the SS administrated the Gestapo)

Referring police uniforms and uniformed police action in North America to anything Gestapo-like is a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
                              I really don't have a problem with it. In some cases a "harder" appearence may be necessary. Years ago "Law & Order" magazine did an article on more militant styles of uniforms & the general consensus was that it was all in the eye of the beholder & PDs shouldn't be apologetic for their uniforms. I agree wholheartedly. If you want to see a Gestapo-type uniform, look at NYPD's Highway Patrol Division-- Riding boots & breeches, mid-thigh leather coats under a full Sam Browne rig & their soft 8-point caps. It's been 30 years since I lived there & I still remember those uniforms--they're grrrrrreat!
                              Come to think of it, the New Hampshire State Police have quite the "German" looking uniform - knee high boots, breeches, etc.
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4444 users online. 312 members and 4132 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X