Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do LEOs have a problem doing this?

Hello O.com and forum,

As many of you know, I am a civilian and my knowledge of the law varies. My expectations of LEO behavior is strict and I scrutinize very highly. As someone pointed out, until I am out on the field, I am stuck with one perspective, the civilian one.

My question is, and yes, this issue has been turned upside down/right side up, right to left, inside out, etc., why is it that LEOs shouldn't ticket a fellow LEO?

What is the idea behind it? Is it something that was told at the academy? Is it an unwritten rule/etiquette, if so, why?

I can understand emergencies, or going over by like 5mp ~ 10mph, we've all done it, I know I have.

As pointed out in several threads and forums, if the guy is an LEO and doing 85 mph in a 65 mph zone or doing 50 mph in a 25 mph zone, shouldn't the guy know better? I could understand doing between 70 mph ~ 75 mph but beyond that I think is too much in the name of safety.

From what I read in the forums here on O.com is, "well, I wouldn't cite a fellow LEO" or "you just don't cite your own." My question is why?

My intent is to understand why LEOs don't ticket fellow LEOs. Please help me understand!!!

Many thanks!

NOTE: If you're not going to offer anything to the forum, do the forum a favor and yourself a favor. . . .HIT THE BACK BUTTON on your browser. The back button function on your browser works quite well here.
    Last edited by Raiden; 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM.

The search function works rather well here.....
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul."

Comment

Boring, Go Away

Every occupation has some unique benefit...Doctor's get free medical care, dentists get free dental care, cops get free coffee from 7-11.......
      AND COPS DON'T WRITE COPS!!!
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman
        .... COPS DON'T WRITE COPS!!!
        I can care less about doctors, programmers, ducks and the flys on the wall. . . .Okay?

Explain why?

Comment

read the "Stay out of Kansas" thread, how many times are we going to go over this topic?
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

I work at a restaurant. I get a big discount when I eat there, or if I am actually working at the time, I can eat for free. Why??? Because that's what I do. Pilots can fly places for free or with major discounts on their airlines...why? Because it's a perk of the job. Ladies generall get men to pay for their dinner...why? It's etiquette. Whatever you want to call it, it's all the same, advantage of the situation. If you don't want tickets, be a cop. If you want to be an annoying anal person who gets mad at every little thing because you don't benefit from it, get a job with Nancy Grace.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman
              I work at a restaurant. I get a big discount when I eat there, or if I am actually working at the time, I can eat for free. Why??? Because that's what I do. Pilots can fly places for free or with major discounts on their airlines...why? Because it's a perk of the job. Ladies generall get men to pay for their dinner...why? It's etiquette. Whatever you want to call it, it's all the same, advantage of the situation. If you don't want tickets, be a cop. If you want to be an annoying anal person who gets mad at every little thing because you don't benefit from it, get a job with Nancy Grace.

Bill
              I hear what you're saying and you have a good point. Question for you though, your perks don't involved breaking the law. Are you saying it is okay for LEOs when they're off duty to break traffics speeding laws?

In my profession, computer programming, if I see one of my own doing something with the computer he shouldn't be doing, like snooping on user accounts I will tell on him. It could lead to someone getting hurt, do you see what I mean?
              Last edited by Raiden; 11-02-2006, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman

Bill
                Breaking the law and getting away with it isn't a perk of being a police officer. Getting free coffee is a perk, but even then it shouldn't be abused.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden
                  I can care less about doctors, programmers, ducks and the flys on the wall. . . .Okay?

Explain why?

Risking every day to protect and serve people. ME and EVERY other POLICE OFFICER out there are doing the same thing, sacrificing the same thing, risking the same thing..... police have discretion..that's why sometimes you get a warning.... I Will NEVER, and MOST COPS will NEVER write a civil infraction citation to another police officer...why? cause we don't have to. I depend on everybody else with a badge, just like they depend on me.... There is no awesome answer that I can give you that will make you happy I guess...is it right? is it wrong? You can't understand why cops choose to not write other cops, why you ask??????????? CAUSE YOU HAVEN'T WALKED IN OUR SHOES! Just accept it, if you can't.... write a letter to somebody who cares.

Comment

The nature of any Law Enforcement job requires that the LEO place himself in situations on a daily basis that are stressful and possibly deadly. The only people cops can count on to get their backs are other cops. If a cop is in a fight on the side of the road MOST civillians would not stop that cop on the side of the road is waiting for another cop (on duty or off duty). If you are telling me that there is no brotherhood there, your wrong.

Asking why a cop would not write another cop is like asking why a cop would not write his own mother??

Any cop who would write his own mother does not deserve to be a cop...any cop who would write a cop does not deserve to be a cop...period

Comment

Its not a problem not to write a ticket!!

Explain why?
                      DUH! You can care less about doctors??? The reason that we don't write emergency room nurses or doctors, medics, etc., is that they might save our lives. It has happened to me several times during my career. ER docs and RNs are the best.

That off-duty officer stopping to help you when you are getting your @$$ kicked might save your life. The average citizen will not. The bottom line, we don't get paid not to go home at the end of shift. Call me selfish, I prefer to live a long life and if not writing a ticket buys me a small insurance policy, so be it. You are just jealous, because you are not able to avail yourself of this courtesy.

Its a brotherhood/sisterhood! Its a team concept! Cops don't write cops traffic tickets. True crime is a different matter. Its called "discretion".

Its common sense...think about being that lonely soldier in a combat zone.
                      If you do not agree, find another profession to enter. I would not want you covering my back. If you do enter this hallowed profession and maintain that attitude, no one may be covering your back. It won't be long to until you realize that the back-up you called might not get there quick enough, or might not find your location.
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by JDep
                        Risking every day to protect and serve people. ME and EVERY other POLICE OFFICER out there are doing the same thing, sacrificing the same thing, risking the same thing..... police have discretion..that's why sometimes you get a warning.... I Will NEVER, and MOST COPS will NEVER write a civil infraction citation to another police officer...why? cause we don't have to. I depend on everybody else with a badge, just like they depend on me.... There is no awesome answer that I can give you that will make you happy I guess...is it right? is it wrong? You can't understand why cops choose to not write other cops, why you ask??????????? CAUSE YOU HAVEN'T WALKED IN OUR SHOES! Just accept it, if you can't.... write a letter to somebody who cares.
                        You're right, I have NOT walked in your shoes, please see my original post above.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I see someone doing something wrong at my job, am I supposed to let him slide as well? My company policy is, if you see something wrong, report it, regardless of who they are. Should I give my fellow code hacker the benefit of the doubt if I see him doing something he shouldn't be doing? Do you see what I mean?
                        Last edited by Raiden; 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM. Reason: correcting sentence

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman
                          Its a brotherhood/sisterhood! Its a team concept! Cops don't write cops traffic tickets.
                          So if it's ok for police to speed off-duty and to not ticket other cops, then why the hell do they place such a hugh emphasis on an applicant's driving record during the application process?

Also, say I as a civilian have valuable information regarding a serious crime. Why should I tell you if you've written me up for something as minor as speeding?

Comment

PLEASE GO AWAY TROLL, YOU ARE GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!

Comment

You're right, I have walked in your shoes, please see my original post above.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I see someone doing something wrong at my job, am I supposed to let him slide as well? My company policy is, if you see something wrong, report it, regardless of who they are. Should I give my fellow code hacker the benefit of the doubt if I see him doing something he shouldn't be doing? Do you see what I mean?
                              Your putting info into computers! LEO's are defending the public from criminals... Your in danger of a computer virus, they are in danger for their lives... Just a little different perspectives. As a Civi, I have no problem with police helping each other out like that. It is a Privilege not a right.
                              "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
                              Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

"I've got 2 guns, one for each of ya." Doc Holliday (Val)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10342 users online. 509 members and 9833 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X