300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you (non-sworn friends) were the Chief of Police

If you as a private citizen, were allowed to be the Chief of Police, Sheriff or Colonel of the State Police in your community / county / state for one 24 hour period, what attitude, enforcement policy, department policy or other changes would you make to your local department and why?
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Tried to PM you
    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

First thing, lead by example.

Shoot better than most; take street shifts in the terrible parts of town and survive it; do not second guess people more familiar with certain situations than I am; know the capabilities of my people and realize that even if I can't do it better than they can, I can know how to best use them.

Stress mindset & skills over hardware without neglecting to realize that hardware is a necessary part and everything should be done to obtain the very best.

Get into the information age. I want everything possible available as fast as possible to as many people as possible. Blackberries or something like that to everyone with good (very good) training on the technology.

Shi-can the town's circa 1965 radio network and get everyone on a new system that allows them to talk to each other, fire, EMS, state police and everyone else with a radio. Beg, bribe, use officers to intimidate people in other orginizations and political office to acomplish this.

Mandate all supervisors get out into the field and do not loose touch with reality.

Get everyone a decent off duty holster; Shoot anyone who uses a "one size does not fit all" nylon holster.

Training. Lots of training. Computers. Interrogation. Tatical classes. Something else. Local, sent away to the school...something.

Those are the changes. The reasons are self explanitory.

Comment

1. Upgrade all cars to the charger w/ the low profile LED lightbar
        2. Give all officers a MP5 , M16 and taser
        3. BUST ALL KNOWN DRUG DEALERS WITHIN 1 hour
        4. Double the force
        5. Allow all officers to get a higher edu.
        6. Buy a backup gun for all officers
        7. Allow officers to buy a house and car with no intrest rate or allow skilled convicts to bulid a house for each officer, EMT and firefighter.

thats all i can think of now
        sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

If i were sheriff for a day i would want to be like my hero
          Sheriff Joe Arpaio, make prisioners live in tents
          Officer Schilling ]

Comment

yea not a bad idea
            sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Well if I was the boss I would run a conservative public safety entity. The center of my administration would be all about keeping an equalibrium. It seems like there are a lot of ****ed-off and burnt-out cops. There are also a lot of citizens who arent happy. I want to keep the cops happy while keeping the civilians happy. After all the citizens are the ones that vote and if you want to keep your job you better keep them happy. The following are programs and ideas I would implement to keep both the servants and the serviess happy.

Servants
              1. Yearly awards luncheon
              2. Employee of the month program
              3. Post secondary education incentives

Publiv (civilians)
              1. Implement community services officers
              2. Create a citizens academy program
              3. Have a strong community policing program

Comment

1) Farm a couple of officers out to the DEA Task Force so we cen get some large-scale drug seizure money. And remove that drug dealer from the west end of town.
                2) Set up a financial crimes branch (maybe two officers?) to hit the industrial park. (Can we say RICOH?? That money's mine TOO!)
                3) With all the loot, set up an endowment for reimbursement of continuing ed/ graduate work.

That's all I can think of for now...
                They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT
                  First thing, lead by example.

Shoot better than most; take street shifts in the terrible parts of town and survive it; do not second guess people more familiar with certain situations than I am; know the capabilities of my people and realize that even if I can't do it better than they can, I can know how to best use them.

Stress mindset & skills over hardware without neglecting to realize that hardware is a necessary part and everything should be done to obtain the very best.

Get into the information age. I want everything possible available as fast as possible to as many people as possible. Blackberries or something like that to everyone with good (very good) training on the technology.

Shi-can the town's circa 1965 radio network and get everyone on a new system that allows them to talk to each other, fire, EMS, state police and everyone else with a radio. Beg, bribe, use officers to intimidate people in other orginizations and political office to acomplish this.

Mandate all supervisors get out into the field and do not loose touch with reality.

Get everyone a decent off duty holster; Shoot anyone who uses a "one size does not fit all" nylon holster.

Training. Lots of training. Computers. Interrogation. Tatical classes. Something else. Local, sent away to the school...something.

Those are the changes. The reasons are self explanitory.
                  Wow, good answers, common sense and a take charge attitude. And that is why you'd never make it as Chief.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Wow 24 hours. There’s not much that I could do in that amount of time that would have any lasting effect but I’ll play the game.

Policing the police. That would have to start with me, myself and I by redefining my own job duties, job description and allegiance. I believe that the Chief of Police is an elected position so therefore I would be there by the will of the people. Many times after being elected into office a Chief of Police will jump into the Mayors back pocket and the Mayor is himself a mere puppet on strings for City Counsel. This means that there is no buffer zone or last line of defense between the will of the people and the will of the City Counsel as police officers carry guns. It is even worse for the police officers themselves who have a serious job to do. Who stands up for them? Who defends them? Who makes their job easier? Who throws down the BS flag for them? Who is the buffer between police officers and City Counsel? Who is the police officers last line of defense? Who is the conductor that orchestrates the band with his magic wand? The City Counsel? The Mayor? The Chief of Police? The lines get pretty blurry here. Police officers suffer and the citizens have precious little to say about it one way or the other.

In 24 hours the most that I could do is clean house by redefining my own job duties, job description and allegiance. Give the will of the people back to the people and the security back to the officers who work under me. Will this create a Mr. Rogers neighborhood. No!!! But it’s a good start.
                    Last edited by Mano; 09-30-2006, 02:18 AM.

Comment

24 Hour Chief

Kind of vague....but here it goes:

1. Get every single squad car/patrol vehicle washed, waxed and detailed by the jail inmates. (Believe it or not, you'd get plenty who will quickly volunteer to do this.)

2. Every supervisor will be out on the street for at least one shift at least monthly.

3. Start to run the jail more like a work camp and model it after Maricopa County, Arizona and Sheriff Joe Arpaio's outfit there.

4. Not expect anyone on the force to do something I would not be willing or able to attempt doing. (Leading by example is important to me!)

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                        If you as a private citizen, were allowed to be the Chief of Police, Sheriff or Colonel of the State Police in your community / county / state for one 24 hour period, what attitude, enforcement policy, department policy or other changes would you make to your local department and why?
                        I'd replace all the cars with Black & White Hemi-powered Chargers, half LED bars and half fully marked slick topped.

Why ? Because they deserve them, its a good department. Oh, and I saw one "in action" on Thursday night in a nearby town. (Hummelstown maybe).

A kid came blowing down a residential street and not 4-5 seconds later I heard that Hemi sound coming, saw the cruiser & just knew "That kid's in trouble!"
                        "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                        09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

If I could do what ever I wanted with unlimited money and man power a lot would change.

ALL cars would be updated to 05 or better... No impala's

MDT and computer dispatching would Always work

EMS, Fire, State police, Sheriff, and police would all work on the same type of communication system.

I would redo our city- bring back the DWI TF, Gang TF, and Youth detectives.

Give all officers the ability to carry MP5 and or M4's.

Have A real SWAT team, not the worthless group we have now.

Have a plainclothes patrol section

Use newly created Tac teams to do proactive car stops in our crime ridden part of town.

EVERY OFFICER would have a NEW vest and be forced to wear it

Arrest the Mayor, city manager, and city counsel

Training, training, training and weapons quals every 3-4 months

take over schools SRO program and make them a real police force.. IE- SRT team- 3 officers at every high school- 5 at the bad school- patrol- K-9, Investigations sections too.

Build a city jail that could house 200 - this to help out the county jail that is made for 700 but houses 800 almost every night... none of this cite and release stuff

listen to street officer on what needs to be fixed

do patrol work myself, ride with officers to see what the problems they face....
                          I would like to fix the world

this is just the start of my fantasy world
                          Hired !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mano
                            I believe that the Chief of Police is an elected position so therefore I would be there by the will of the people.
                            There are places that elect the Chief???
                            They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                              If you as a private citizen,
                              were allowed to be the Chief of Police, Sheriff or Colonel of the State Police in your community / county / state for one 24 hour period, what attitude, enforcement policy, department policy or other changes would you make to your local department and why?
                              Well, that knocks me out.

Interesting answers. Some good, some kind of flaky, some downright undoable for a chief.

Why no retirement help?
                              Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 10-01-2006, 10:42 AM.
                              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4445 users online. 235 members and 4210 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X