300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrity

well im getting more and more frustrated in class I hear alot of minors talking about drinking (while in my police classes) some idiots come in telling what they stole last week during break and of course their are those stoners who think its ok to be a cop and a stoner.

I dont get it what happened to integrity? I know im not the smartest guy or the fittest guy in class but I work at a place were I sell beer, I dont sell to minors or friends I dont even drink because I believe I can tell whats right and wrong.

why is it alot of my classmates are lacking any morals?

I always thought when you decide that you want to be a cop, that is the day you should think about morals and integrity.
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Originally posted by eman2k5

I always thought when you decide that you want to be a cop, that is the day you should think about morals and integrity.
    I'm starting to find that we have spawned a generation of people that think they start their life anew each morning. They believe their past history has no bearing on their future.

Working on a university, I constantly have reason to deal with JLA majors who use drugs, get drunk and stupid, etc. When i arrest them, they quickly tell me that I'm screwing up their life because they wanted to go into LE.

When I ask them how they figure smoking dope or snorting coke works into their future plans, they say, "I wouldn't do that once I'm a cop."

Go figure!
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

This reminds me of listening to the not-even-graduated-from-high-school-yet LCC CJP applicants talk about their admittance interviews. One kid was talking about how he had to lie through his teeth about his drinking habits and the other one was talking about how they can't wait to start because LCC is party town 24/7.

Oddly enough I wasn't asked about anything like that during my interview. Questions regarding my drinking habits never came up. Perhaps it's because I was a lot older than the other ones and seen as more mature.

Comment

I'm not perfect by any means, but I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately this will all play out later on when they get fired for something that makes the department look bad, or make poor police officers.

Comment

ive had some similar situations in my classes.

we had a guy booted from the collegiate officer program because he got busted doing something (never did find out what) and tried dropping the program directors name, the instructor(director of program) came in on monday and stopped by the kids desk and said in front of the whole class, "your out of the program, you know why dont you??" and kicked the dude to the curb right then and there.

i had to pick my jaw up off the floor, that was funny as hell.

i called in one night about a possible DUI driving in front of me, dude got busted blah blah blah, forgot about it over the weekend, the next class day the instructor told me that according to the arresting officer i was very helpful....i just nodded..

they...know...everything...
          The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

It was once told to me that "character" involves doing the right thing when nobody is looking -- and not doing the wrong thing when someone is.

"Integrity" is being that person who might be looking -- and knowing what to do or what not to do when you see or don't see something.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I had a few of those in our program, just smile and know at least they won't be competition when applying comes around!

Comment

I dont get it what happened to integrity?
                Integrity started dieing in the 60's, and is simply suffering a slow painful death.

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
                  ive had some similar situations in my classes.

we had a guy booted from the collegiate officer program because he got busted doing something (never did find out what) and tried dropping the program directors name, the instructor(director of program) came in on monday and stopped by the kids desk and said in front of the whole class, "your out of the program, you know why dont you??" and kicked the dude to the curb right then and there.

i had to pick my jaw up off the floor, that was funny as hell.

i called in one night about a possible DUI driving in front of me, dude got busted blah blah blah, forgot about it over the weekend, the next class day the instructor told me that according to the arresting officer i was very helpful....i just nodded..

they...know...everything...
                  I have to say I am quite intrigued by this thread. Throughout my academy training and college courses, I have had to take several ethics classes. What has always baffled me is how one can think ethics can be just taught during a class. It is a lifelong learning process, one that has to be taught at an early age and reemphasized throughout.

During my academy we had a group of cadets go out after class to celebrate the 21st birthday of a fellow cadet, a patrolman saw them all in uniform, reported it back to the director and heads were rolling within the hour. (They were not kicked out, but many had lost their rank) Another cadet actually told an officer that had pulled him over for something that he had better not write him a ticket and cussed the officer out, this cadet was thrown out of the academy next am.

I am currently working on a study about Criminal Justice Ethics and the "Code of Silence" and it is fascinating, the information and views I have gathered are just mind boggling. Over all though these results I have to date are really positive, and people do have ethics and morals. It is the ones that do not, that people focus on.

People do stupid things, none of us would have jobs (or soon to have jobs) in law enforcement if it were not for stupid people doing stupid things

Comment

The first job in policing is the ability to truely police yourself. That in itself is integrity in my book.

Ethics classes only open your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogerthump
                      The first job in policing is the ability to truely police yourself. That in itself is integrity in my book.

Ethics classes only open your eyes.

Ethics classes close my eyes...
                      sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your input, I only hope i dont ever have to work with one who lacks any integrity.

Rogerthump, i made you into my signature
                        sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

I had several people in my academy that had used hard drugs in the past and still went out and got sloppy drunk every weekend, got in fights and drove home. Well, guess what? Nearly a year later, Ive got a job and they dont. Dont let those people get to you. They will be found out. We also had three people fake injuries to get an extension to pass PT. Out of 26 people, only 11 passed our academy. Only 1 has a job. Like you, I was very surprised at the "caliber" of people the academy brought in. There were only 3 people in the academy I would even stand next to on the firing line at the range (all were prior military/out-of-state LE), but thats another story.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5131 users online. 252 members and 4879 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X