300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove the new Charger Police Package

Well, the department for which I am a reserve just bought a Charger Police Package. All I can say is "Wow". It makes the Ford CV feel like driving a four cylinder. It is not as roomy as a CV, but boy does it have power. I'm looking forward to getting to drive it from time to time.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Nice Quote, good book. "Armor" correct?

I wanna drive one. I've been a MOPAR nut since I actually figured out what REAL power was. It's great that they're getting back into LE vehicles. That's how they got their real start so many years ago...
    YOU, on your knees!!!
    Green Jello 1990

Comment

They have one around here and thats it....I dont think the old CV is going anywhere anytime soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by Landric
        Well, the department for which I am a reserve just bought a Charger Police Package. All I can say is "Wow". It makes the Ford CV feel like driving a four cylinder.
        Everything makes the Crown Victoria feel like a 4 cylinder.

Even my new Excursion with a 330 horsepower V-10 and weighing 7,700 pounds feels better in the acceleration department.

I test drove a Charger R/T. They are HOT! Have fun!

Comment

Police package goes from low speed 4 cylinder to when you need power the v6 or 8 right? Could you feel the shift?
          "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Originally posted by ejay
            Police package goes from low speed 4 cylinder to when you need power the v6 or 8 right? Could you feel the shift?
            Only the Hemi V8 has the displacement system that goes from 4 to 8 cylinders. The V6 doesn't do that. That's off the subject, though...I want to know if he could feel the change from 4 to 8 as well. I've heard that it's a smooth and seamless transition, but those were potentially biased opinions.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I love the styling of the Charger but what the hell were they thinking when they decided it would only be available as an automatic??
              Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Dithyrambe Sur La Fête Des Rois -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

Comment

I got to drive one with a hemi. Very nice, feels like a muscle car. I have serious doubts about the reliability of anything Dodge though. Oh well, it's the governments money.
                Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCop
                  Nice Quote, good book. "Armor" correct?

I wanna drive one. I've been a MOPAR nut since I actually figured out what REAL power was. It's great that they're getting back into LE vehicles. That's how they got their real start so many years ago...
                  Yes, it is from "Armor".

I couldn't tell when it shifted from 4 to 8 cylinders, but then again, I had a pretty heavy foot on the drive, so it may never have been running on 4 cylinders.

The CV doesn't have bad accelleration at high speeds, but the Charger has huge amounts of power at any speed.
                  -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Dolmen
                    I love the styling of the Charger but what the hell were they thinking when they decided it would only be available as an automatic??
                    Well this IS America where we are too lazy to drive stick. Manuals don't sell anymore so it's not financially sound to even offer them. They are mostly delegated to small displacement motors that need a manual to actually use what little power they have.

Comment

Stick-Shift Cop Cars

The last "regular" cop car I remember that had a manual transmission was the Special Service Mustang (1983 to 1993). I know that the Florida Highway Patrol had more than a few of them, as did the CHP. I am not certain, but I think the 9C1 police-package Camaro was also available with a stick.

Anyway, I wonder what the life expectancy was for a clutch in one of those cars.

So few people can even drive a stick nowadays, so I could not see many departments ordering cars that most officers could not drive properly.

P.S. Anyway, that new police Charger is one cool-looking ride. I saw an unmarked one in Woodbridge yesterday; silver in color - with dark tinted windows and a nice pushbar up front. I almost missed it, except for the three or four antennae on the trunk and the tan 'local government' license plates. It had the alloy wheels, though, and would have looked much better with black steelies and chrome center caps.
                      Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Bushum
                        Well this IS America where we are too lazy to drive stick. Manuals don't sell anymore so it's not financially sound to even offer them. They are mostly delegated to small displacement motors that need a manual to actually use what little power they have.
                        True true, I understand those Porsche and Ferrari guys tend to favour stick though, must be cause they're a bit short on power

I can understand autos in the usual boring bimbo boxes or work machines, even in a Police unit, but it's supposed to be a muscle car, you would think that at least the high performance packages would have a manual option.
                        Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Comment

I have a the Hemi Charger as my take home squad. First off, I love this car! I'm a bigger guy and I find the Charger has much more room up front then the CVPI's did. Then there's the engine. The jump from 4 cylinders to 8 is seamless but you can watch it on the tach. Its impressive. Acceleration is unbelievable especially from cruising speed to chasing speed.

Gas mileage has made buying them worth the effort. We're averaging around 20 mpg with ours. (BTW, the first 3 weeks you have a Charger you get around 14 mpg. Thats from hammering every chance you get. Once you settle down, the gas mileage goes way up.)

Lastly for those that have concern about the automatic, its actually an Auto-Stick. It can be used like a stick shift by flipping a switch. Not as nice as a real stick with clutch and I don't use it much, but its there.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolmen
                            True true, I understand those Porsche and Ferrari guys tend to favour stick though, must be cause they're a bit short on power
                            I was talking about mainstream cars. Not sports cars and/or exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushum
                              I was talking about mainstream cars. Not sports cars and/or exotics.
                              I appreciate that, but the Charger is a muscle car, it's a 6 litre v8 that puts out over 400 in both hp and torque, I'd put it firmly in the "sports car" category.

I have no idea how well it handles, but it's being marketed as a big, mean, beefy driver's car and it only comes in a girly automatic?

Automatics only belong in utilitarian vehicles, boxes designed purely for going from point A to point B or hauling stuff. If you are even TRYING to give the illusion of a real driving experience, it needs to at least have a manual option.
                              Last edited by Dolmen; 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3786 users online. 191 members and 3595 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X