300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I am an American..." PSA's

I'm not exactly losing sleep over it but is anybody else getting annoyed with these 'Hate won't stop hate' ads on TV?

Are there angry American mobs lynching Middle Easterners out there?

Even if there was, I doubt they're going to change their mind from watching a p/c ad.

They need to run the 'hate won't stop hate' ads in Saudi Arabia, not here.

One good thing about them is that the people identify themselves simply as Americans instead of the usual p/c labels of "(insert country name)- American.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Are there angry American mobs lynching Middle Easterners out there?

Yes.

Although you're right PSAs are generally preachy and annoying.

Comment

Really? Got any news links?

Comment

I'd like to see a news link as well. I haven't heard of rampant angry mobs seeking out Arabs and beating them....

Comment

I recall hate crimes being a big issue right after 9/11.

Here are a few

one

two

three

four

Comment

If only those few people had seen that PSA!!!!!

[ 08-14-2002, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: BRICKCOP ]
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

"I recall hate crimes being a big issue right after 9/11."

According to my calendar, today is August 14th. 11 months later.

Out of those links, 2 were from less than 1 month after that attack. One is a compiliation. It talks about 350 alleged hate crime. Most of the crimes did not involve personal injuries. Mostly threats and vandalism.

None of your links support your answer to yes about lynching.....one did talk about a shooting. Even if all 350 alleged hate crimes were in fact driven by hatred towards Arabs, that's an awfully low number of crimes considering our population is approx. 287,781,714 people.

Considering that approx. 3,000 people a year die from "medical misadventure", I'd say the money would be better spent checking out doctors.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by BRICKCOP:
                If only those few people had seen that PSA!!!!!

yeah if only

Comment

I didn't think he was being literal when he said

"Are there angry American mobs lynching Middle Easterners out there? "

And I'm not quite sure what dates have to do with it. The PSAs were generally a response to 9/11 and the articles were about hate crimes as a result of 9/11.
                  The PSAs address 9/11 so it's relevant.

Comment

The dates are very relevant.

Most of these alleged hate crimes happened immediately after 9/11. The PSA's didn't start running until months later, when the problem is all but gone.

Sort of like running ads about safe buggy whip usage......might have been a problem in the past, but pretty much past now. Sticking a band-aid on a cut that is healed is really nothing more than wasted effort.

"I didn't think he was being literal when he said..."

I didn't think he was either, but you're the one who just answered that quote with a yes.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by BRICKCOP:
                      [QB]
                      They need to run the 'hate won't stop hate' ads in Saudi Arabia, not here.
                      QB]

Now there is a Great idea!

Comment

my yes wasn't literal either

Comment

It might not have been meant to be literal, but you quoted the question and gave a one word answer. Not much room to interpret that.

Skimmed over the relevency of the dates, huh?

Comment

No didn't skim- read again.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Niteshift:
                              [iOut of those links, 2 were from less than 1 month after that attack. One is a compiliation. It talks about 350 alleged hate crime. Most of the crimes did not involve personal injuries. Mostly threats and vandalism.

None of your links support your answer to yes about lynching.....one did talk about a shooting.

Not to mention that one of the headlines is Hate Crimes Against Muslims Nationwide Abate and the article, dated Oct 26, 2001, talks about how most of the threats, vandalism, etc have disappeared.
                              On the wings of a dove
                              Let's roll for justice
                              Let's roll for truth
                              Let's not let our children grow up
                              Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4647 users online. 336 members and 4311 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X