300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Maam, Do You Know Why I Pulled You Over??"

So when cops pull you over, they always ask you if you know why they pulled you over. Why ask this question? I take it that you want us to incriminate ourselves: "Why yes Officer, I believe you stopped me because I blew through that stop sign, going 30 over, and almost T-boned your car. Was that the reason?"

How are you supposed to respond? Say that you plead the fifth? Lie and say "I have absolutely no idea why you pulled me over. Not a clue."? Tell the truth, even though it will hurt your chances if you want to argue it in court later?

Just looking for some friendly advice.

I usually try to at least hazard a guess. I feel as though it shows I am paying attention. And usually I get a warning. (I try to make it a rare thing in the first place. )
    shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

I was trained never to ask this question. I introduce myself, identify my agency and advise the motorist why they were stopped. If it is for speed, I usually ask if they are having some kind of emergency that I need to be aware of. This opens the door.
      “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Personally, I don't ask that question. I usually walk up, explain why I stopped you, and then ask for a Driver's License. Not all officers do this- in fact, I'd bet most do not.

However, the reason cops do this I don't think is appropriate to discuss in a public forum. There is a reason some do it, and it's not to "trick you" into admitting anything.

The best answer I can give you is: Be polite. Be respectful. Be honest. If you choose not to answer, but you know why the officer stopped you, simply say so. "Officer, I mean no offense or disrespect, but I would rather not answer that question." But keep in mind one thing: Whatever you say or don't say, may mean the difference between a ticket and a warning.

As a citizen on the road, if I get stopped by the police, I understand it was because I made a mistake, and I usually apologize for it. I'm, nor have I ever been, one of this "Cop watch" a-holes that refuse to admit I made a mistake. Even before I got a badge and gun, if I was stopped, I apologized for what I did, promised it wouldn't happen again. Sometimes I got a ticket, sometimes I didn't.

So, bottom line: Tell the cop whatever you want. You do have a right to remain silent. However, remember it's a human being you're dealing with.

Hope that answers your question.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I think they still teach that new approach at the academy, along with asking some question about justifiable reasons ... all that after the initial introduction of "Good afternoon, I'm trooper I. B. Good with the .... and etc"

I just walk up and say "Hello" or "Good day" or something like that, then I state that I need to see their operators license and registration, and after I get those, I just tell them why I stopped them, and that I'll be back in a few minutes and explain everything and have them on their way.

Then I go run my 27 and either return with a summons to their dismay, or I walk back with summons book in hand with stuff clipped to it and after a brief moment to gage attitude now, I let them off with an unexpected warning.

Any begging or pleading usually negates a warning.

Nine out of ten already knew why they were getting stopped when the lights came on, if not before.
          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM.
          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Any comment you make can be used in court against you. For example....

---------------------------------------------------------

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?

Motorist: I suppose because I didn't stop for the stop sign before turning right?

Officer: Yes mam, can I see your license and registration please?

Later in court.....

Officer: I stopped Mrs. Jasper in the 1800 block of Sesame Street. Even before I advised her of why I had stopped her, she freely admitted she had run the stop sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalia
              So when cops pull you over, they always ask you if you know why they pulled you over. Why ask this question? I take it that you want us to incriminate ourselves: "Why yes Officer, I believe you stopped me because I blew through that stop sign, going 30 over, and almost T-boned your car. Was that the reason?"

How are you supposed to respond? Say that you plead the fifth? Lie and say "I have absolutely no idea why you pulled me over. Not a clue."? Tell the truth, even though it will hurt your chances if you want to argue it in court later?

I say "Sir/Ma'am, do you know the reason you were stopped today/this evening?" If they were speeding, they know damn well they were speeding, and it gives them a chance to fess up to it. Depending how much over they were going, I may give them a break, if their license comes back clear. One caveat, however. If you're speeding in a school zone, your *** is mine. I will write you for every goddamn thing I can find wrong. Tail light out? Ticket. Seatbelt not buckled? Ticket. Every. Goddamn. Thing.

BR
              BR

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc
                I was trained never to ask this question. I introduce myself, identify my agency and advise the motorist why they were stopped. If it is for speed, I usually ask if they are having some kind of emergency that I need to be aware of. This opens the door.

The 2 times I've been pulled over, i asked the officer first why I was pulled over. I was confused why I was both times, and incidently both times were right after a light,both times i stopped till it turned green.

Both times only a warning (oral). 1st was due to a brake light out and second was a crack in winshield (was not blocking view of driving).

Both times I did check my speed thinking maybe I took off from the light too fast but I wasn't even up to the speed limit so that wasn't it.
                There Are No Impossible Dreams
                Just The Perception To What's Possible

Comment

We don't ask ask violators that question at my agency- it's highly discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                    Any comment you make can be used in court against you. For example....

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?

Motorist: I suppose because I didn't stop for the stop sign before turning right?

Officer: Yes mam, can I see your license and registration please?

Later in court.....

Officer: I stopped Mrs. Jasper in the 1800 block of Sesame Street. Even before I advised her of why I had stopped her, she freely admitted she had run the stop sign.

Yeah, and she also freely admitted to almost running Burt and Ernie (who, strangely enough, were walking hand in hand singing show tunes) right the hell over.
                    BR

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Comment

I prefer the 'Good evening sir/ma'am. Could I see your license registration and proof of insurance?' Once I've got them I continue with, 'Now, the reason I stopped you is...' Run 'em through Dispatch and do what needs to be done. If they're polite and nothing comes up, well I'm inclined to be nice. If they're an *** or brusque with me, they have a tendency to regret it as the collateral fines can be rather stiff in my jurisdiction. Then there's the Mandatory Appearance tickets. The judge gets to figure those out.
                      YOU, on your knees!!!
                      Green Jello 1990

Comment

Originally posted by GvegasDeputy
                        We don't ask ask violators that question at my agency- it's highly discouraged.
                        Can you explain why it is highly discouraged, or is it a secret that you don't want bad people to know?

Comment

They teach us the "verbal judo" style of introducing yourself, your agency, and the reason I stopped you is...blah blah blah. Do you have any lawful reason for doing blah blah blah?
                          God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

They teach in our academy this long, drawn out statement:

"Hi, I'm officer so and so with x police department...I pulled you over for going 50 in a 40 mph zone. Is there any justified reason why you were doing that today?"

I hate that. I just tell the driver why I stopped them and ask for the appropriate documents. I feel like asking them an open-ended question just gives an opportunity to lay out excuses and possibly start an argument.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalia
                              So when cops pull you over, they always ask you if you know why they pulled you over......... How are you supposed to respond?

Try this. No Officer. I thought for sure you would know.
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4220 users online. 265 members and 3955 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X