Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston Cops Writing Petty Tickets To Get Back At The New Chief ??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Cops Writing Petty Tickets To Get Back At The New Chief ??

Talk is going around my community again that HPD is writing tickets for stupid things like having a frame around your license plate. (Many people still don't know about this new law.) Supposedly, lots of HPD officers don't like the new chief, and the idea is that if they get citizens mad about excessive and / or frivilous tickets, somehow that will get rid of the chief.

Writing the tickets when called for is OK.

Writing them to get back at the chief by throwing a royal screwing on the public just to make them mad is ... "chicken #h*t".

(edited after seeing they are really writing for obscured plates, a pet peave of mine as well. I thought the above referred to any frames. Please see below.)
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-25-2006, 03:02 PM.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
      Any officer who would engage in such chicken #h*t activities like that is ...
      ... well ... "chicken #h*t".

They have no complaints for any crap that comes their way after doing it.

Writing the tickets when called for is OK. Writing them to get back at the chief by throwing a royal screwing on the public just to make them mad is ...
      ... well, I already said that didn't I?
      I agree.... Houston already has enough crime to keep their hands full, how do they have time to do this ****?

Comment

The should probally just stop writing tickets altogether. The loss of revenues would hurt the admin more than giving them more money.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33
          The should probally just stop writing tickets altogether. The loss of revenues would hurt the admin more than giving them more money.
          While growing up would be the best thing for these guys to do, and I'll bet its just a few of the "we hate the whole world" cops, if they must do something stopping all tickets is preferable to taking their frustrations out on the public.

One day they will be asking the pubic for more taxes in order to get a pay raise. Don't **** them off for no reason.
          Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

I am Harris County, Not HPD. I do have HPD friends, and I have not heard anything about them writing chicken tickets. On the contrary - none of them have time to do much traffic enforcement, and everyone I know just get their minimum required one duck an hour. The city gets by the "qouta" law by not giving a number they have to write - they are just told that no traffic stops in an hour is unacceptable.

The only reason I would guess about the "chicken ticket" you describe would be because the officer wanted to pull the person over for whatever reason, and had no choce but to issue the citation for the PC on the stop... The city took their warning books away a long time ago.

All the talk right now is about the new pursuit policy, which in the county we are gearing up for a sharp increase in pursuits as a result.
            Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TGM
              I am Harris County, Not HPD. I do have HPD friends, and I have not heard anything about them writing chicken tickets. On the contrary - none of them have time to do much traffic enforcement, and everyone I know just get their minimum required one duck an hour. The city gets by the "qouta" law by not giving a number they have to write - they are just told that no traffic stops in an hour is unacceptable.

The only reason I would guess about the "chicken ticket" you describe would be because the officer wanted to pull the person over for whatever reason, and had no choce but to issue the citation for the PC on the stop... The city took their warning books away a long time ago.

All the talk right now is about the new pursuit policy, which in the county we are gearing up for a sharp increase in pursuits as a result.
              Wow, so they push for atleast 8 traffic stops a day? Thats amazing. The small department here where officers may only get a couple calls per shift is only required to make a couple a shift.

Comment

Originally posted by TGM
                Lucky you.....I'm just outside of HC on the SW border of Houston....can't wait

BTW Chools the LP frame deal isn't new, it's been on the books for a couple of years now. The law was thought up by the Harris County Toll Road Authority because people were running the EZTag lanes and getting out of tickets. So the HCTRA pleaded their case to the Legislature and won (basically). Ever since the law was passed the Houston Auto Dealers Assoc (among others) is fighting to get it repealed-without much success. I love it, it's great PC.
                The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by the Chools
                  Talk is going around my community
                  Consider the source of this question in the first place.
                  the Chools
                  Last edited by slamdunc; 08-25-2006, 06:36 AM.
                  “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33
                    When the stuff gets stirred in this town, everyone just starts writing warning tickets. While we can still say we are enforcing traffic law, no dinero to the city buckets.
                    "Socrates was a philosopher. He talked a lot. They killed him." unknown to me.

"Evil prevails when good men do nothing."

Comment

What is the traffic code # for the "frame around the plate" law?
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

LOL, not sure how many of you who responded to this are police officers or not.....but arent you all acting like the public side now? making citizen complaints regarding WRITTEN LAWS THAT HAVE BEEN VIOLATED. AS IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCUSE EITHER. It does not matter how petty something is, the question that will be asked....was....a...law...broken??? answer.....YES....answer....TICKET
                        "If guns are outlawed...then only outlaws will have guns!"

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                          What is the traffic code # for the "frame around the plate" law?
                          § 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED[0]
                          LICENSE PLATE[0]. (a) A person commits an offense if the person
                          attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or
                          registration insignia that:
                          (1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
                          (2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor
                          vehicle law other than by the department;
                          (3) is assigned for a registration period other than
                          the registration period in effect;
                          (4) is fictitious;
                          (5) has letters, numbers, or other identification
                          marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly
                          visible at all times during daylight;
                          (6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker,
                          decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and
                          that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on
                          the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is
                          registered
                          ; or
                          (7) has a coating, covering, or protective material
                          that:
                          (A) distorts angular visibility or
                          detectability; or
                          (B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on
                          the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design
                          feature of the plate.

The bold part covers the LP frames.
                          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking that one but it doesn't ban frames outright, just the ones that cover up the letters/numbers and state name. Since when is this a new law, it is in some form in nearly every state for a long time.

Originally posted by edg103
                            LICENSE PLATE[0].
                            registered
                            ;
                            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Well, that's different, that's obscuring a license plate when the numbers or state aren't plainly legible. We have enough problems getting a good tag number from a clerk after a gas drive off or while making a stop at 2 am or when sitting innthe median and trying to read the tag numbers of "small red sedans with Ala reg # XYZ-321" last seen leaving the scene of a homicide as they fly past at 70+ at 1:30 pm in summer vacation traffic.

That's a good charge and nothing ''CS'' about it. I thought they meant "any frame" and if that were the case, as I intimated in my first posts, that's ''CS''.
                              LICENSE PLATE[0]. (a) A person commits an offense if the person
                              attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or
                              registration insignia that:
                              (1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
                              (2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor
                              vehicle law other than by the department;
                              (3) is assigned for a registration period other than
                              the registration period in effect;
                              (4) is fictitious;
                              (5) has letters, numbers, or other identification
                              marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly
                              visible at all times during daylight;
                              registered; or
                              (7) has a coating, covering, or protective material
                              that:
                              (A) distorts angular visibility or
                              detectability; or
                              (B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on
                              the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design
                              feature of the plate.
                              Good code, but they left out hitch balls. I hate hitch balls when they block a tags center portion and a letter or number and I'm trying to read it for a stop or a clerk can't get a whole tag number as they pull away from the gas pump because of one.
                              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5265 users online. 266 members and 4999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X