300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Errors on Police Reports

I realize that the police officers word 99.999 percent of the time overrules the citizens word but what happens if the police officer were to make a genuine error on a police report and is refusing to admit it? What recourse does a person have?

Example: a person gets into a car accident, they clearly inform the officer that they were in the left hand lane making a left turn when the accident occurred and the other guy blew a red light and hit you. A couple hours later at the end of the shift, the officer writes a narrative stating that you informed the officer you were in the right hand lane making a right turn....which obviously is not what you originally informed the officer happened in the first place. Now the officer either doesnt remember, remembers wrong, or is too embarassed to admit his/her error that they made.

What can a citizen do? I know that usually police reports are set in stone but that officers can add a supplemental report onto it. If admitting error on his behalf makes him look bad, but it was truly a genuine error, what happens?
    "If guns are outlawed...then only outlaws will have guns!"

Originally posted by badge1024
    I realize that the police officers word 99.999 percent of the time overrules the citizens word but what happens if the police officer were to make a genuine error on a police report and is refusing to admit it? What recourse does a person have?

Example: a person gets into a car accident, they clearly inform the officer that they were in the left hand lane making a left turn when the accident occurred and the other guy blew a red light and hit you. A couple hours later at the end of the shift, the officer writes a narrative stating that you informed the officer you were in the right hand lane making a right turn....which obviously is not what you originally informed the officer happened in the first place. Now the officer either doesnt remember, remembers wrong, or is too embarassed to admit his/her error that they made.

What can a citizen do? I know that usually police reports are set in stone but that officers can add a supplemental report onto it. If admitting error on his behalf makes him look bad, but it was truly a genuine error, what happens?
    In this scenario - I'd take pictures of the damage to my vehicle clearly showing it to be IMPOSSIBLE that I was in a right turn lane making a right turn. The evidence supports my side of the story. Simple as that.

Comment

No, I mean if there was no picture evidence, it was just an example

Comment

Then I'd write it down, and keep it with my documentation of the damage and work being done to repair such damage. Pretty simple.

Comment

If the only evidence you have is the officers police report, you're going to lose your case.

Worst case scenero, buy a disposable camera and take some pictures after the fact. A lot of people take pictures with their camera phones right there on the spot. I'd take photos of the other vehicle as well.
          A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

lol, people, i thank you for taking the time to respond, but youre getting it wrong. forget the entire car accident scenario. what if a cop just made a serious mistake on the police report and they dont wanna admit it because it will make them look horrible? as a simple fact, officers are human and mistakes can be made. is there any way to go higher up than the officer and at least have something added in the report that the report accuracy is being disputed????? or at least look at the officers history and see that theyve made multiple report errors in the past?

Comment

lol, people, i thank you for taking the time to respond, but youre getting it wrong. forget the entire car accident scenario. what if a cop just made a serious mistake on the police report and they dont wanna admit it because it will make them look horrible? as a simple fact, officers are human and mistakes can be made. is there any way to go higher up than the officer and at least have something added in the report that the report accuracy is being disputed????? or at least look at the officers history and see that theyve made multiple report errors in the past?
              There is a complaint system, where I work. Most services, I imagine, have a system where you can file a complaint. I'm sure it would help if you sugar-coated your statement, though. "I'm sure Officer. X didn't mean to make that error, but I never said what he quoted me as saying. Here's what I actually said. '(insert quote here)'.

Then again, if you're not being charged or ticketed because of said problem, is there really an issue?

Comment

....you as an officer im sure know that EVERY SINGLE WORD counts....its called the court system.....entire cases and literally millions of dollars can be lost on a simple error or slip of the tongue. Thats all i need, an officer refusing to admit error for whatever reason. An ego trip can cost millions

Comment

....you as an officer im sure know that EVERY SINGLE WORD counts....its called the court system.....entire cases and literally millions of dollars can be lost on a simple error or slip of the tongue. Thats all i need, an officer refusing to admit error for whatever reason. An ego trip can cost millions
                  Badge...or whatever your screename is..listen. Errors happen. Will a simple error in a traffic accident report costs millions? Doubt it, since actually it's going to be an auto insurance company that does their investigation for the victims or whoever was at fault...errors happen...chill out!

Your profile says loss prevention officer...have you ever made a bad-stop or made a mistake in a write up on what actually occurred or did you add in some things to your report to make your stop look legit/legal?

"every single work counts"..is not "called the court system" where you got that from, I have no clue.

Chill out and take the advice or comments from this thread you started and learn from it, if thats what your point is, or if it's to bash the cops on here, I would suggest leaving now.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

If their is a lawsuit, you do a deposition of the officer, question him carefuly and help him come to the realization on his own that he was in error when writing his report as it does not dovetail with the insurance adjuster's data or the repairs from the body shop.

Ask him to file a supplimental report, and let that be the end of it.

No biggie.

Comment

He asks a question then gets mad when professionals in the subject matter answer them not to his liking.
                      Future Farva

Comment

Did you even bother to look at my profile? I am not an officer, nor did I ever claim to be. This isn't in the Ask-a-cop section, so anyone can respond.

Comment

None at all.

Comment

Every cop has a supervisor. Call in and meet that officer's supervisor and try to work it out.

Comment

wow, the amount of miscommunication that occurs over the internet.....

IRISHLAD- one, my reports are flawless, two, if i did make an error, i would FIX it immediately even if it made me look bad or made my company look bad

MITCHELL- the officer writing a supplemental report would mean having that officer admit error......this officer is REFUSING to admit error because he does not want to look bad

JEFFRO- what the? its not me not liking the answer, its that there is miscommunication and theyre not understanding my question smart guy!

SHERIFF- there is ALWAYS a recourse, just trying to figure out what it is, believe me, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, you have to raise hell and if an error was committed then i WILL get it fixed

TXHEAT- unfortunately the department in my unnamed town is the joke of all other police departments (no joke, the second i meantion my town, officers immediately say "sh**, im sorry" and laugh about me living there), meeting with the supervisor will either not be allowed or will get me nowhere

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9113 users online. 421 members and 8692 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X