300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotional favoritism

Dated 8/10/2006, the Tennessean newspaper contained an article about promotions within the Tennessee Highway Patrol. The purpose of the article was to continue the newspaper’s accusations that the agency shows favoritism to THP personnel who have political ties. I was more interested in this excerpt from the article:

“Three captains also were promoted to major Wednesday: John Eldridge, the head of the patrol's Cookeville District; J.R. Perry, the head of training; and Wayne Springer, head of the Lawrenceburg District…Perry was promoted from sergeant to captain, skipping lieutenant…in 2002.”

In an agency of 900 or so sworn officers, I was surprised to see someone jump from a sergeant to a captain. I can see this happening in smaller departments, but I am struggling to explain how an individual skipping a rank would be beneficial to a large state agency or to the person’s professional development.

Am I missing something here or is the newspaper on the right track in identifying a questionable personnel decision?

The full article is here: Tennessean Article.
    The Blog: Slam Dunks

Thats tame compared to some promotional "shenanigans" I have seen in and around me. An agency promoting the #1 and #s 8-10 on the test to LT, not promoting #2-7. And plenty more.

Comment

Promotions

How 'bout being promoted from the 11 spot on a 13 man department to the "A" numero uno spot as the CHIEF. Well it happened where I work. This guy was promoted over 9 other applicants with way more many years expierience. So imagine holding the #2 spot in the department, been a cop for more than 20 years, holding the rank of LT., and getting passed over for a patrolman w/ 8years expierence. Guess it helps to have your daddy being the Mayors biggest campaign contributor.

Their were other more qualified guys I didn't mention, like the Chief Deputy Sheriff, and a neighboring town's police chief, and a few seargents in there also.......

Comment

Same thing happens in my country. We depend on luck.

Comment

A while back in my department, your chances for promotion depended upon your membership in Freemasonry. ALL the brass were Freemasons and they only trusted other Freemasons to be supervisors. Almost all detectives and narcs and the entire traffic buruea were also Masons

When you went to the oral board for Sgt, the people on the board would give you the Mason handshake to see if you were one of them. The members from my own department already knew

It's not that way so much anymore. Not that it's fair, but it is more about free-lance buttkissing outside the walls of the lodge

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Cop
            A while back in my department, your chances for promotion depended upon your membership in Freemasonry. ALL the brass were Freemasons and they only trusted other Freemasons to be supervisors. Almost all detectives and narcs and the entire traffic buruea were also Masons

When you went to the oral board for Sgt, the people on the board would give you the Mason handshake to see if you were one of them. The members from my own department already knew

It's not that way so much anymore. Not that it's fair, but it is more about free-lance buttkissing outside the walls of the lodge

Here we go again with the anti-masonic conspiracy crap...give it up, dude, you can't back up your twisted opinions on this topic.
            "Do unto others before they can do unto you", Fred G. Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Cop

Now the truth comes out... I see what all your belly-aching is about.
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
                Sour grapes, its all about sour grapes. You have solved the case, Po-po
                "Do unto others before they can do unto you", Fred G. Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                  Unless you have strict civil service, it is going to occur.
                  Even with civil service, games still can be played.

http://www.spb.ca.gov/chief/documents/CHPAudit.pdf
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po

I stated right from the beginning that my department used to be like that. Many departemnts are like that

Are you trying to hijack this thread?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12805 users online. 449 members and 12356 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X