300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrgghh!! Kill The Spammers!!!

G*dammit, I am so sick and tired of all the spam! The latest garbage opens up a window when I click on it to delete. There must be some way I can reach out through the Net and melt down their computers, their ISP for allowing that abuse and their firstborn to make sure it doesn't repeat. Does anyone really order any of the junk they're selling anyway?
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

I know, I know! Actually, you can get rid of them. You have to report them to their various ISPs. My brother does it and spammers leave him alone now. Once a couple of them get their accounts yanked, I guess they go tell all the others and nobody sends him anything. He keeps trying to get me to do that but I just don't have the time to track down their ISPs.

Comment

As an Outlook Express user I've tried using Microsoft's own filtering abilities, with marginal success. So, I decided to see what third-party software solutions were out there.

I went to ZD Net and clicked on "Downloads." In the Search field I entered "Anti Spam" and changed the pulldown menu to "downloads." This brought up a bunch of anti-spam software.

Right now I'm trying out "Postal Inspector" by Giant Software. It's got a 15 day free trial, and I think $20 afterward. I chose this one because it fully integrates with Outlook Express (there's also a version for the full Outlook program). Many if not most others require that you run their program first to "clear" your e-mail server of spam, then you can run your usual e-mail program to download what you want.

I also like this one because you can set it to remember your desired e-mails (so that your friends and co-workers don't get filtered out). It also has a "Bounce" button where you can send the desired spam right back to where it came from, with an error message saying that person is unknown. It addition to the "feel good" aspect about helping to clog their own mail servers with their own junk, it's hoped that with the error message your name will get removed from their list.

I only downloaded it earlier tonight, and so far it's only let a couple of spam messages through (I have it set to the middle "default" level) while sending a bunch of others straight to the trash. I think I'm going to turn it up a notch and see what happens.

The only downside I see so far is that it seems to slow Outlook Express down considerably. But the slowdown isn't so bad that it's intolerable, and certainly a much better alternative to spam!

Comment

I use the filter in Outlook also.. wonderful feature.

I also have a program that blocks popup banners.
        No partner is worth your tears -
        the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

I despise spam.

I report them. Doesn't seem to help.

I get a ton of it. Annoying as hell.

Comment

Siggy,

You mentioned Outlook Express, but do you know if it's something that would be compatable with AOL? I know with AOL I can set mail controls to allow mail in by only certain people, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I also have Outlook Express, but I don't use it.

I'm sick to death of SPAM! I check my hotmail addy about once a week and although I have it filtered using their features, you wouldn't believe what gets through.

Comment

"I use the filter in Outlook also.. wonderful feature."

What I like about Postal Inspector is that it blends in with Outlook and Outlook Express. The program adds additional buttons to the toolbar. When you launch Outlook/Express you also launch Postal Inspector as well, so it's no-fuss.

If you have additional filters (I have mine set so that my Calibre Press Newslines go directly to a special folder) these can be used also, as long as you set them to occur AFTER Postal Inspector.

I bumped it up a notch and it's doing a better job than last night; only a couple slipped through. I'm gonna bump it up to "MAX" and see what happens.

"I report them. Doesn't seem to help."

Not only does it NOT help (there are ISP's out there that cater specifically to the SPAM industry), but when you hit that "unsubscribe" button in some cases you're actually encouraging more SPAM, as you're confirming that your address exists and that you're annoyed enough to hit the button.

"You mentioned Outlook Express, but do you know if it's something that would be compatable with AOL? I know with AOL I can set mail controls to allow mail in by only certain people, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I also have Outlook Express, but I don't use it."

The problem with AOL ("A-O-Hell") is that it uses proprietary software, meaning POP3 mail programs like Outlook/Express, Eudora, etc won't work with it. At one time I think there was a Mac program that would allow you to download AOL mail, but I'm not sure if it exists anymore, or if it ever existed for Windows.

There MAY be shareware that filters out SPAM from AOL, but I'm not sure.

"I'm sick to death of SPAM! I check my hotmail addy about once a week and although I have it filtered using their features, you wouldn't believe what gets through."

Hotmail actually does a pretty good job; the only SPAM I'm getting from them is the same one that's always touting diplomas by mail (it has an embedded program that disables Outlook's filter feature). I'm hoping that Postal Inspector will take care of that problem. I do like using Hotmail because it gives me the best of both worlds: I can download it using Outlook Express, or I can use the web if I'm away from the desktop computer.

Yahoo!mail seems to be the best in regards to SPAM; I have yet to get any SPAM slipping through with them. Instead of using my real e-mail address to register online (which is a big source of SPAM when these same companies sell your name to a SPAMMER), I give out my Yahoo address instead.

[ 08-13-2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Sig220Man ]

Comment

Thank you, Siggy. [Wink]

Comment

Katey, good news. Postal Inspector is available for AOL 7.0

Postal Inspector

Comment

Siggy,

You're a sweetie. Thank you so much. [Wink]

Comment

Whenever I get spam, I send a reply of "**** Off" and then block their address.

Comment

I just don't "join" any other sites, or sign up for anything, and as a result. I get no spam.

I tried the cussing them out, but I think they liked it. Liberals never get it anyway, they just think you have a problem. Like they have a right to infringe on you.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by MikeTx:

I tried the cussing them out, but I think they liked it. Liberals never get it anyway, they just think you have a problem. Like they have a right to infringe on you.

Gee Mike, I figured you'd be the one to spam 'em right back with about 1,000+ copies of their own e-mail!!
                          Hmmm.. anybody know of a program that will do that? I have a few spammers I'd like to try it on.
                          " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Word of caution: A lot of time when you reply to spam to tell them to take you off their list, all it does is let them know your email is a bona fide address. And even if they are honest and take you off THEIR list, they'll sell your addy to someone else.
                            Don't take life too seriously- you'll never come out of it alive.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Piper:
                              Whenever I get spam, I send a reply of "**** Off" and then block their address.

In addition to what ghost said about this practice, another problem about using Outlook/Express's filtering/blocking feature is that a spammer only has to change the e-mail address/domain address slightly and it gets through.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4291 users online. 311 members and 3980 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X