300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to say, "Thank you!"

Today I spent almost 2 hours visiting with a Sheriff, and Deputy Sheriff, in the community/county I intend to use for the setting of my next novel.

They were totally awesome, offering technical info, idea input, and answering even my most ignorant questions graciously. (I didn't even see ONE eyeroll)

Yes, I KNOW I don't have to, but I'd like to send them...or department...SOMETHING, by way of a thank you. I'm thinking a case of beer or playboy magazines are out. (Just a guess there)

Seriously, if you were the LEO...what would you like to receive? What would be appropriate? Donuts was my first thought, but that is just so...well...overdone.
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/crimescen...UserCP&CODE=22

" From the hottest fire, the strongest steel is born. Dance not with the Phoenix, lest she burn you to the quick in an instant, yet none more desireable, both beautiful and terrible." ~~~ thx armoredman

http://www.authorsden.com/plreedwallinger
    www.rainbooks.com
    www.reedwriting.com

A simple lunch (that includes their wives) - pizza maybe?

and an autographed copy of your book.

Chance are they'll be happy enough if you simply "get things right" and it sounds like you're making an honest effort to do so.

Dat's my $0.02

Comment

A letter to the department thanking them for their helpfulness would be great. Depending on the size of the department, maybe pizza for the shift the officers that helped you are on.

I think Pizza is the national form of saying thank you.

Comment

I had to meet a lady at our local airport one day to serve some civil papers on her husband coming in on an evening flight. She had to point him out because he was supposed to have changed his appearance so as to sneak back into town for a day or two unnoticed. After the service she sent me a nice gold Cross pen and pencil set. I still have it. And it was a great gift!

edit to add: if you run with this idea make sure to give them silver if their badge is silver, or gold if their badge is gold.
        Last edited by SHERIFF; 08-02-2006, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixrose
          They were totally awesome, offering technical info, idea input, and answering even my most ignorant questions graciously. (I didn't even see ONE eyeroll)
          You must have been dressed up pretty good if they were that helpfull.

Personally, I don't like thank-yous in general. So I can't help you out there.

But if you sell enough books, and they're a small enough department, find out what they need an can't afford. Maybe a few new vests, or a computer or two. Something that will last a while and actually make they're jobs safer or easier.

( I'm assuming you're a really good writer and are going to sell a lot of copies)
          "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

I think the pizza for the shift is good thing. Maybe a letter and a promissory note saying "When book gets published, you get the first 2 singed copies" anything more personal and there will be signs or hints of impropriety unless THIS was planned by the BOSSES...If yes then maybe dinner or lunch with their respective others..
            But in general, FOOD FOR THE SHIFT...
            Get the hint...
            I got nothing for now

Comment

I think that the best kind of "thank you" one could give a cop is as follows:

Find out what kind of issues are on the minds of the local cops. For example, poor radio coverage, lack of shift differential pay, or inadquate staffing levels. Find out what you can do to voice your support for the troops on that particular issue -- in some areas, the officers can not voice their concerns publicly due to lack of protection from unreasonable termination. Plus, it's always good for politicians to hear that the general public supports us, and demands that we be taken care of. Fire off a few letters, or make some phone calls, to the folks making decisions about these issues.

The best part about this is that the cost is minimal, and your impact can be very significant. Also, the more attention these issues get, the better -- so encourage your friends to get involved too.

Good luck!

Comment

[QUOTE=10-31Mike]You must have been dressed up pretty good if they were that helpfull.

LOL...ya think? I have REALLY good cleavage...that COULD have been the key

[
                Last edited by phoenixrose; 08-03-2006, 07:37 AM.

" From the hottest fire, the strongest steel is born. Dance not with the Phoenix, lest she burn you to the quick in an instant, yet none more desireable, both beautiful and terrible." ~~~ thx armoredman

www.rainbooks.com
                www.reedwriting.com

Comment

Wow, you guys, great ideas. Maybe a little of several things. Of course, names mentioned under the Acknowledgement section of the book, and free signed copies, is a given. But the process is a long one, and this book won't be in print until next spring, most likely.

So, for the here and now, I think Pizza for shift is a super start. I like the pen set idea, maybe for the men that sat for nearly two hours and visited with me. (that alone deserves a medal or something). I could also check into how to get behind issues that need supporting, and urge others to do so--the public should be doing that anyway.

Wow...thanks...I'm on it!

www.rainbooks.com
                  www.reedwriting.com

Comment

One writer to another (and as a retired badge), be sure to address any complimentary letter(s) to the individual officer(s) who helped you. Also, you know how signed copies go over. That is what I have done in the past.

Damned nice of you to be so considerate, I must say. Cops aren't used to this, like firefighters are.
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                      Damned nice of you to be so considerate, I must say. Cops aren't used to this, like firefighters are.

THAT, is a damned shame, not that firefighters don't deserve it too. It doesn't matter what the profession...when someone goes out of their way to help you...you need to express some measure of appreciation. In my opinion, it costs me very little to make someone's day a little brighter, knowing what they do/did is/was appreciated. And besides, who's gonna turn down pizza?!

www.rainbooks.com
                      www.reedwriting.com

Comment

How about on the preface of the book putting " with thanks to Officers etc etc from the sheriffs dept, for there time and experiance's shared with me which made this book possible" that way they have a permenant "thank you" from you that they can keep with there names on the "credits" that they could show to friends and family. A lot better than a box of "Dunkin Donuts" or a meal out i think I know i'd like that as a gesture.
                        How would you like a long stretch inside?? and i aint talking about a prison sentence

Comment

Originally posted by britplod
                          I know i'd like that as a gesture.

Yes, but it's not likely to happen in your case, is it?
                          Last Night I dreamed that I'd written Lord of the Rings. Turns out I was just Tolkien in my sleep. .

Better to be a Has Been, than to be a Never Was.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixrose
                            I have REALLY good cleavage...
                            Really?

And nothing says "Thank you" better than a nude picture!

Damn the guilt.

Food.... is always good.. But in today's foo fooo world, a nice thank you card, a letter to the boss, and a Starbucks coffee card with 10-20 bucks on it is pretty cool.

Comment

I've been offered season tickets, airline flights, yadda, yadda, what meant the most to me? a solid handshake and a genuine "thank you".
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2381 users online. 101 members and 2280 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X