300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy's actions in the Mel Gibson arrest

As a result of the Mel Gibson arrest, I have listened to and read critical comments about the LA County deputy who made the arrest. Part of the arrest report was posted on the Internet without authorization from the agency and the department is investigating. From the report, folks have asked questions such as: 1) “Why is the report so long for a DUI arrest?” 2) “Why did the officer write down the specifics of a ranting drunk?” or, 3) “Did he just want to get Gibson?” These questions insinuate that the officer had other motives for making the arrest and writing the reports.

I see the unauthorized release of the report and the writing of the report as two different issues. I don’t have sympathy for a person (whoever did it) involved in the unauthorized release of case information and hope the department’s investigation is fruitful. On the writing of the report, I have countered the detractors by saying the officer was wise to be methodical in his documenting of the celebrity arrest incident, knowing what a media feeding frenzy that it would be.

My question is: for arrests or incidents involving national or local celebrities or other high profile cases, are your reports longer and more detailed as compared to other arrests or incidents?

I would say that reports are going to be longer with more information for high profile people or groups. For example, a report narrative describing the arrest of Joe Bob for public intoxication might just say: “Observed defendant stumbling and falling in the road while walking in the turning lane on Moore Avenue at the above time and date. Def. speech was slurred and he smelled of alcohol.” I have seen arrest reports with much less information than the example above. Conversely, an arrest report describing a PI arrest for Christy Brinkley, Jessie Jackson, Rush Limbaugh, or other celebrity would certainly be more than the two sentences above and include specifics about what the def. said, more on his/her mannerisms, etc.

What do you think? --Scott
    The Blog: Slam Dunks

if i arrested a high profile i would make sure and write an exceptionally detailed report because its going to be fought with a high dollar lawyer and it will be a high media attention case so i wiuld take extra care not to look foolish. and since when are police reports not public record? juvenile reports are even public as long as the juveniles name does not appear in it.

Comment

In the case of Jesse and Rush,you're darn tootin it will be longer and more intense.It is called CYOA and is the First rule of Law Enforcment.They are going to have high dollar attorneys looking at every period and comma and hoping for the slightest error.
      Now in the case of Christie----wtf???? are you kidding,I wouldn't have arrested her if she killed that cradle robbing ,pedophile,pervert husband of hers,"uh dispatch,you can mark this one up NAT (necessary action taken),and I will be out at this location for a few days consoling the complaintant
      Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Sounds to me like Mel is damned lucky a video wasn't released.

The report might be 124 pages long but it still couldn't give the detail (or do the damage to Mel) that a video could/would do.

Just a thought...

Comment

Since her department does not use video, my wife documents ANY abusive behavior, rude comments, etc., no matter the perp.

Also, if on the 1st visit to the car, she encounters such behavior, she activates the micro-casette audio recorder she carries.

Me thinks the deputy was wise to document ... but what the hell do I know!
          Monty ..

Over the road trucker for 38 years .. married to police officer for 30 years. (And she hasn't shot me yet .. but there was that time with the cuffs ... )

Comment

I stopped worrying too much about detail when I was issued a video recorder. That helped a bunch and usually when played for the defts mouthpiece, a plea was soon to follow.

Before that, I always wrote a detailed report, quoting as much as I could recall, no matter who the deft was. Even then, I had a pocket tape recorder going, so I could just take verbal notes as I went along. Mater of fact, I still used it even though my body mic was on - in the event of a battery failure, etc.

Bottom line - doesn't matter who the deft is - good reports mean less court time.
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

the officer's judgements smack of sound judgement and professionalism
              When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Comment

Originally posted by DukeEdgar
                the officer's judgements smack of sound judgement and professionalism
                Finally, a positive post!

To the point at hand, I typically do very detailed reports and even more so with any I think could be high profile. CYA. Even with the video, I document it in writing because the video may not always be there down the road, but the narrative will be.
                God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunk
                  My question is: for arrests or incidents involving national or local celebrities or other high profile cases, are your reports longer and more detailed as compared to other arrests or incidents?

No. Every report should contain all the pertinent information to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunk
                    Absolutely. My arrest reports are normally thorough and detailed, but when dealing with a high-profile case you know that you have to be extremely thorough because you are going to be under intense scrutiny. You will be under the scrutiny of the brass, the court, the media, the public, etc. I have to admit that I have yet to achieve the level of perfection that SHERIFF has achieved during his career -- If I arrest Otis for public intoxication, for the 50th time, 20 minutes before I go off duty, the report is going to be less detailed than the same offense involving, say, a U.S. senator.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                      Absolutely. My arrest reports are normally thorough and detailed, but when dealing with a high-profile case you know that you have to be extremely thorough because you are going to be under intense scrutiny. You will be under the scrutiny of the brass, the court, the media, the public, etc. I have to admit that I have yet to achieve the level of perfection that SHERIFF has achieved during his career -- If I arrest Otis for public intoxication, for the 50th time, 20 minutes before I go off duty, the report is going to be less detailed than the same offense involving, say, a U.S. senator.
                      To deviate from the norm seems questionable to me.

Just a personal preference to me I suppose. Not that I ever really arrested a celebrity. 99.999% of officers never do in their career.

Comment

I have to admit that I have yet to achieve the level of perfection that SHERIFF has achieved during his career -- If I arrest Otis for public intoxication, for the 50th time, 20 minutes before I go off duty, the report is going to be less detailed than the same offense involving, say, a U.S. senator.
                        Why the cheap shot at Sheriff? For advocating professional behavior? C'mon, man, enough of that j***!

If you write two different reports, solely due to WHO you arrest, someone is slacking - and it ain't Sheriff.

He's right - and you know it. Let's all be nice
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Absolutely. My arrest reports are normally thorough and detailed, but when dealing with a high-profile case you know that you have to be extremely thorough because you are going to be under intense scrutiny. You will be under the scrutiny of the brass, the court, the media, the public, etc. -- If I arrest Otis for public intoxication, for the 50th time, 20 minutes before I go off duty, the report is going to be less detailed than the same offense involving, say, a U.S. senator.
                          I'm hanging with this crowd. There's an old saying in regards to police reports that goes: "If you didn't write it down, it didn't happen." Like Chaser says above, Otis, well known to the system repeats his antics for the 50th time, is pert near going to get a rubber stamped report. Mr./Ms. DoYouKnowWhoIam, and in the case of Mel Gibson, who is connected to the arresting Deputy's employer, absolutely everything needs to be written down as everything may be attacked by a high dollar DUI attorney.

Now for the unauthorized release of the report's first draft. I don't know who did it. I can guess...and to me it's not really an issue. Whoever released the first draft, is blowing a whistle on the LASD Brass who, in my opinion, directed the report be sanitized. If that order had never been given, the world may never had heard about the arrest.

I really like it when the Brass of any agency, mine included, gets their collective panties in a wad!
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

In this situation the more detail the better. I always tell my guys, "When in doubt about it, write about it."

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                              Why the cheap shot at Sheriff? For advocating professional behavior? C'mon, man, enough of that j***!

If you write two different reports, solely due to WHO you arrest, someone is slacking - and it ain't Sheriff.

He's right - and you know it. Let's all be nice
                              Well, "chaser266" is right, in a way. He has never achieved the level of perfection that we did during our careers. As you know, it comes with age and experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4512 users online. 264 members and 4248 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X