300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless cable

Has anybody had any experience with wireless internet equipment from a company called 2wire? I can't really find out the quality of their products. I'm in charge of hooking up a wireless network for our new house. [Eek!]

Tex
    KD5HQD

While I'm not familiar with 2wire, I do have wireless internet access using an Orinoco Residential Gateway by Lucent. I have committed to one year of T-1 speed (I love it!).

I also have set up a wireless network in the house using the Linksys Etherfast Wireless AP w/4-port switch and Linksys wirelss USB adapters on the add'l PC's. Easy to use, great additional firewall protection, and pricing is good. Have not had any issues with it, but have only been running it for about 2 months now.

I've heard that 150 ft. is pretty much average for in house wireless, unless you're running through several concrete walls, etc. I have only taken my laptop as far as the backyard and it works fine at about 75 feet. Hmmm...guess I'll have to start walking around the neighborhood with it to see how far I can really go!

Good luck on setting up your network!

Comment

"wireless cable" is an oxymoron.
      Bill R

Comment

Hey, I never realized that Bill

Tex
        KD5HQD

Comment

I have a question, is your actual connection coming in a wireless connection, or do you have a cable internet connection, that you'll turn into a wirless lan for your house?

'cause if it's just the lan, I would recommend using standard cat5. it'll be faster, more reliable, cheaper, and have better security. So unless you have a laptop or two you wanna have mobility with...
          Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
          -Mark Twain

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by n567:
            'cause if it's just the lan, I would recommend using standard cat5. it'll be faster, more reliable, cheaper, and have better security. So unless you have a laptop or two you wanna have mobility with...

I agree. I tried using wireless products from both Intel (the AnyPoint II 802.11b) as well as Linksys. I was horribly disappointed with both.

They would both work for a short while, then stop working. I would have to reboot both computers to get them going again. I thought it might be an interference problem, but this would happen even if the laptop were right next to the desktop!

Yeah, a long CAT-5 cable running from my desktop in the dining room, to my laptop in the living room (so I can surf and watch TV at the same time) isn't the most elegant thing, but when I'm done and are expecting company, I simply coil it up and hide it someplace.

Besides, unless you have a lot of laptop batteries on hand ($$$) there's no such thing as truly wireless computing, because you have to plug the laptop in sometime.

Comment

The actual cable wire will come into the house into a cable modem. Then RoadRunner will install the 2wire wireless equipment for 1 desktop, and 2 laptops, only one of which is a permanent establishment. Tech support told me on the phone that 2wire is very good quality (of coures, coming from them, who knows) but, they do guarantee everything they install, andw will fix it at no extra charge if there's ever a problem. We just decided (well, actually my parents did) that they didn't want cables running all over hell and back for the internet.

I've heard from several people, including the senior forensics computer examiner with APD that I interned with over the summer, that Linksys is very high quality, and he recommended that. Unfortunately, RoadRunner will not install anything but 2wire, and I do not have the technical know-how to install linksys equipment by myself.

Tex
              KD5HQD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4612 users online. 310 members and 4302 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X