300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Media is a Bad Thing

You know, I am getting really sick of the media's portrayal of Police Officers.

I live in Liberal-yuppie-Starbucks Coffee-ville Bay Area, California and around here, EVERY time a perp is killed by police gunfire, it's always an "abuse of power."

The media is painting a negative picture of the men and women who put their lives on the line every day. The latest "abuse of power" story involves a carjacker who was armed with a handgun. The police knew he was armed as they chased him on foot. With their guns drawn, they ordered the suspect to stop and lay down on the ground. Well, instead, he stopped and turned around quickly. Before he was all the way around, one of the officers shot him in the chest 3 times.

I wish that the witnesses who saw this officer "abuse his power" could be in his shoes in that situation. I'd like to see them chase after a man who has a gun and who could potentially injure them or kill them. They have absolutely no clue what the officer felt before he shot that man. Do they honestly think that he was conciously thinking "I am going to abuse my power here and shoot this guy if he breathes wrong."?

UGH! I am soooo angry! Do you all see what I mean here? It is absolutely rediculous.

I agree with you, Serve&Protect. I have some very good friends who are Officers, and some have been treated most unfairly by the media.

I have spent a lot of time in the Bay Area (I live in Sacramento), do you have a link to this story?

[This message has been edited by blondie72 (edited 05-18-2001).]
    [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

Personally I think the media are despicable. I would love to catch one of them on my property and feed them some pepper spay. I also think the police should all go on strike or quit. Now I know that's an easy thing to say, and I am not taking into consideration police families and such. I guess it's like saying all gunowners should get together and tar and feather some politicians.

Comment

I used to think that a police strike was unimaginable.

Now...

How about a nationwide month long police strike?

Let the straights fend for themselves for awhile.

------------------
        -Sparky
        -Sparky

Comment

Serve&Protect said:
          ......it's always an "abuse of power."
          Hey S&P, How about a link? If you are gonna quote you should show us where you heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky:
            I used to think that a police strike was unimaginable.

Now...

How about a nationwide month long police strike?

Let the straights fend for themselves for awhile.

You know it might work Sparky. The teachers staged a sick out and got $4500 bucks a yaer extra. And that was only one day. Its amazing what the power of banding together does To bad we can't do that with the high cost of gas

Comment

Sorry folks, but there is no way I believe we should all strike or sick out or whatever. We are in a touchy situation here. We are NOT liked by a whole lot of people. But how many more are going to feel that way if we were to walk off the job.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it should be job action. However, I wonder what would happen, if everytime the media put out news that was blatently false, they got the crap sued out of them!

------------------
              "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
              6P1 (retired)
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Don:
                I don't know what the answer is...
                Maybe getting the media to cover Community/Police events like we do can help...nothing better for the relations then seeing a cop helping a kid, or socializing in a community based event. Gives the unwashed that warm fuzz-y feeling.

Comment

Don...are the media inventing these "false statements" -- or are they quoting someone? It can make a big difference.

And I'm still waiting for the full article that prompted the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cohen:
                    Don...are the media inventing these "false statements" -- or are they quoting someone?
                    I don't know Dave. I haven't seen the article either.

------------------
                    "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
                    6P1 (retired)
                    6P1 (retired)

Comment

They should be responsible for some level of verification before printing a quote. Who cares is John Doe says something that is wrong compared to the media spreading it out for thousands of people to read.

Who is actually worse.....the guy who lies or the one who spreads it?

------------------
                      Niteshift-
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Nightshift...So if someone alleges that a crime occurred, whether committed by a citizen or a police officer, it should not be reported until after the trial because it might not be correct (assuming that a trial is the only true means of determining whether the allegation is true)?

If someone files a lawsuit against police for alleged excessive use of force (or similar charge), the lawsuit is public information. Like it or not, it's also news. The proper way to cover the lawsuit story is to get a response from police. Most of the time, that won't happen because it's a pending lawsuit and most agencies (including mine) don't comment on such matters. But just because we don't comment does not mean it isn't a story.

Let me argue the point further: suppose we do comment and we say the allegation is unfounded. The media now have both sides of the story; who do they believe -- the complainant or the police? I know who we'd like them to believe, but the fact is that we're not always right. And that, too, is news.

And before I read another post about the media always bashing cops, let me share with you some coverage we got just yesterday in San Diego. It was a nice, warm-and-fuzzy story about the kickoff of a torch relay from San Diego to Indianapolis for the 2001 World Police and Fire Games. Four local tv stations and a newspaper showed up. The day before, another local newspaper printed a lengthy article about the torch run, including a recruiting pitch.

Comment

It was a nice, warm-and-fuzzy story about the kickoff of a torch relay from San Diego to Indianapolis for the 2001 World Police and Fire Games. Four local tv stations and a newspaper showed up.
                          Well spoken Dave, this is exactly what I was attempting to convey...albeit not quite so eloquently as you have spoken By the way Dave, watch what you say in here, or certain people will label you a troll and attack your character. (See forum called " KC is back on line" for the example in my case)

Comment

Balistic,

FYI, Dave Cohen has been a long standing member of this forum. He doesn't need to "watch what he says" because we know he is not a troll. A lot of what Dave says, a lot of us don't agree with. He and I have had some interesting exchanges in the past months.

But that does not mean that we don't know the value of his membership. Something that we don't know about new members until they have been on here for a while. We are going through a bit of a "troll time" right now, so we are keeping a close eye on things.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First, we are all human here too. We can and do make mistakes. We sometimes need Dave or one of the other media folks who come on here to challenge the way we look at things. It may not change our minds, but it may make us think.

The other thing is that this is a privately owned forum set up by law enforcement folks, FOR law enforcement folks. When we have people who come on here that continually "badmouth" all law enforcement we can, do, and WILL CONTINUE to react negatively towards them. The topic thread you refer to was talking about a sight that is advocating the killing of cops. Now just how do YOU feel about that?

Please keep in mind that I am NOT accusing you of
                            6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Don:
                              Balistic, The topic thread you refer to was talking about a sight that is advocating the killing of cops. Now just how do YOU feel about that?

In looking at your profile, it would appear that you are in law enforcement, probably ranking pretty high. That is what it appears, but I am asking you outright: Are you a cop?

Yes I am.

I took offense at the comment by the moderator RaychelR who said...
                              " Does anyone else in here not find it odd that new members such as TopCop and Balistic continually post this site every time it gets on a new server?
                              Funny, I don't remember "Continually" posting anything about this, or in this " KC is back on line" forum, ever! To insinuate I did attacks my good name as a cop. But thats just my 2 cents worth. People will think what they want.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4492 users online. 312 members and 4180 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X