Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this been discussed by this forum?

I'm fairly new here, I know on our own forum, over on Truck.net we had quite a discussion on it. http://roundtable.truck.net/viiewt.p...012&highlight=

By MICHAEL L. OWENS and ALICIA PETSKA
    The News Virginian
    Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A speeding New Jersey police convoy should not have been warned to slow down here, their superiors say, despite numerous 911 calls from motorists claiming they were forced off Interstate 81.

An incensed New Jersey sheriff called an Augusta County deputy a “disgrace” for pulling over officers returning home from a Hurricane Katrina relief mission Sept. 18.

Augusta Sheriff Randy Fisher and the Virginia State Police defend the stop because the New Jersey officers were traveling 95 mph with their lights flashing.

Virginia law requires an emergency before officers can speed and activate their lightbars. Instead of a warning, the speeding officers could have gotten citations.
    The complete story

While it is understandable the officers in question felt a need to arrive home, their behavior, (imho), was at best disgusting. Public safety demands they obey the law, and as an additional factor, to provide a good example as they traverse another jurisdiction, in another state.
    Monty ..

Over the road trucker for 38 years .. married to police officer for 30 years. (And she hasn't shot me yet .. but there was that time with the cuffs ... )

New to me. I've never heard of a state trooper or deputy doing anything like that. Probably an urban ledgend.

"Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Oh yeah... this was talked about tooooooooooooooooooo death!

There were several threads, and HUNDREDS of posts. And a lot of hurt feelings (hmmm, maybe a hurt "feeling" would be more appropriate. I think most of us cops only have one!)

To summerize....... some urban legend, some truth, some half truths, some mistakes, and some wankers.

Just think about this.......... has the media EVER reported something involving the police with any real accurancy?

There yah go, you now have the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker
        .....their behavior, (imho), was at best disgusting. Public safety demands they obey the law, and as an additional factor, to provide a good example as they traverse another jurisdiction, in another state.
        Correct. And they didn't.

Some of the heavy duty dual wheel trucks in the convoy had no business doing 90+ mph around other traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike
          New to me. I've never heard of a state trooper or deputy doing anything like that. Probably an urban ledgend.

I THINK I may have heard something in passing

Didnt a buch of troopers write them tickets as they were coming back from saving MULTITUDES of drowning people from the Gulf Coast?

Is that any way to thank a hero?

Comment

Is that any way to thank a hero?
            True hero's, (imho), seldom want thanked, or even acknowledged. They do what they do because of a deeper sense of purpose than public accolades. (sp)

And no, it is not an urban ledgend ..

I spoke directly to the deputy involved to lend my support to him, and his actions.
            Monty ..

Over the road trucker for 38 years .. married to police officer for 30 years. (And she hasn't shot me yet .. but there was that time with the cuffs ... )

Comment

True hero's, (imho), seldom want thanked, or even acknowledged. They do what they do because of a deeper sense of purpose than public accolades. (sp)

And no, it is not an urban ledgend ..

I spoke directly to the deputy involved to lend my support to him, and his actions.

You are so right, truck. Whyshould truckers get arrested for barrelling down the interstate, three inches from some mini-van's rear bumper while jacked up on meth while some cops get away with trying to get home quickly after having gone without a shower for two weeks

You, like most truckers are my kind of hero

Comment

Monty,

That did happen here in VA, and (as mentioned above) was discussed more than once on this forum. And, as you can imagine, there were many different opinions on who was right, who was wrong and who stepped "out of line" when they should not have.

Hang around here or find a way to do a search; and I know you'll find it. Try "Augusta County" or "Jerry Speziale" and you'll get hits. Heck, even throw in "Professional Courtesy" and see what you get.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

You, like most truckers are my kind of hero
                  You, sir, do not know me, nor I you.

The comment was uncalled for.

I have no sympathy for ANY idiot on my highways, truck, cop or citizen ...

And I am there more than you, guaranteed.
                  Monty ..

Comment

And I loved the trucker running with crap equipment going by me at 70+mph when he blew a tire right next to me, which damg near shredded my car. I love all you hyped up truckers.

Breaker 19 what's it look like over your shoulder.

Comment

Yu may have been a trucker for 37 years, but I have been a cop for 25. I am sure you have driven many more miles than I have, but those miles were mostly on the interstate, driving in a straight line. Once a truck driver learns how to switch gears and back up, it is no big deal. Driving a police car around city streets is MUCH tougher than being an over th eroad truck driver

You seem like a pretty smart guy, but most of the truck drivers who come up to me to ask for directions seem pretty feeble-minded to me. Most are covered in tattoos and smell like stale cigarette smoke and have are all scabbed up from heavy meth use. I am not saying you are like that, because some truckers are able to clean themseves up eventually. Theyare the ones who usually have those lighted crosses on their grills and pass out religious cassetes to everyone they run into.

Drive safely, now

Comment

most of the truck drivers who come up to me to ask for directions seem pretty feeble-minded to me. Most are covered in tattoos and smell like stale cigarette smoke and have are all scabbed up from heavy meth use.
                        SUMMARY

It is estimated that 2.0 percent of drivers with commercial driver's licenses (CDLs) in 2003 used controlled substances, and 0.2 percent used alcohol (0.04 BAC) while performing their duties. On the basis of these findings, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) required testing rates for CDL drivers in calendar year 2004 remain at 50 percent for controlled substances and 10 percent for alcohol.
                        Source: Drug and Alcohol Testing Survey: 2003 Results - FMSCA

On page 12, table 6 of this pdf document from the FMCSA, it states of 77,000 accidents involving trucks, 64,000 of the trucks were NOT assigned the critical reason for the accident.

On page 14 of that same document, it states, (It's pdf format, I can't copy it), it states:

"Legal drug use, prescription and over-the-counter drugs, show up in a large number of cases. On the other hand, the use of illegal drugs and alcohol and truck driver illness are rare."

Driver fatigue was the most prominent cause, in those cases attributed to truck drivers.

The fact that you may encountered a few bad examples in our ranks, is not an indication it is the norm.

As there are bad apples in LE, so are there in trucking. Broad brush painting is a bad thing to engage in.
                        Monty ..

Comment

Originally posted by My Gluttony
                          You seem like a pretty smart guy, but most of the truck drivers who come up to me to ask for directions seem pretty feeble-minded to me. Most are covered in tattoos and smell like stale cigarette smoke and have are all scabbed up from heavy meth use. I am not saying you are like that, because some truckers are able to clean themseves up eventually. Theyare the ones who usually have those lighted crosses on their grills and pass out religious cassetes to everyone they run into.

Drive safely, now
                          Ahhh, you forgot group screaming at truck stop urinals!! Hmm, think that has something to do with those young ladies that always seem to be hanging around just wanting to "chat" with the drivers?

Trucker, I think you're getting a hard time because your post is a little suspect.

Comment

Trucker, I think you're getting a hard time because your post is a little suspect.
                            What part is suspect?

I also have an Einstien quote:

"You can't solve a problem with the same thinking you used to create it".

And I don't mind being "given a hard time", if it is valid .. I'm a big boy and can take it .. besides, I work better under pressure!
                            Last edited by Trucker; 07-23-2006, 03:07 AM.
                            Monty ..

Comment

I also have an Einstien quote:

"You can't solve a problem with the same thinking you used to create it".
                              I love that one!!!

You should have seen my Hamas quote, but the followers of the religion of peace and tolerance were giving me a hard time so I took down!!!

Well, to be honest. When anyone shows up and posts something that can be perceived at anti-cop or trying to stir the pot, we normally give them the bums rush out of here.

Most of us (probably me least of all) can openly discuss bad choices, mistakes, and even criminal actions of our brothers and sisters in blue. But, when a newbie comes in they have to hang around a bit first so we get a feel for their intentions. After all, we get a lot of wingnuts (and kids) coming in with anti-police agendas.

And after all, this is a "police" website with real live, or close to being alive, police officers that come here to share information, hangout with like minded people, and to field questions from the public. We don't come here to be abused or to put up with nonsense.

As the disclaimer on the top of the page says, "These Are Private Forums for Law Enforcement. We Reserve the Right to Remove Non-LEO Members, Anti-LE or Inappropriate Posts and Users Without Warning."

Take care!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3267 users online. 225 members and 3042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X