300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn Spanish

I am looking for information on a good audio/CD course to teach myself spanish, I have noticed their are dozens of different courses available for online purchase but would like to find out if anyone has used any of them. Which one works? Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by candog
    I am looking for information on a good audio/CD course to teach myself spanish, I have noticed their are dozens of different courses available for online purchase but would like to find out if anyone has used any of them. Which one works? Thank you for your time.
    Check this retired State Trooper Bob Dent from Oregon. One of the Best Spanish Survival Books/Cd's out there! It's worth the money since, unless you can get your dept to fund it for you and several others!

http://www.survival-spanish.com/manuals.htm
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I purchased one at Barnes & Noble a few years ago. It has about ten CDs in it, and I made it through the first three of them. It gave me a rudimentary knowledge of espanol de calle (Spanish of the street) - enough to ask basic questions, common verbs, time, weather, etc., etc. All I did was listen to it in the car on my way to work. It was quite easy, at least the first few steps. They say the word in English and then twice in Spanish.....then you repeat it to yourself out loud.

Any knowledge of Spanish - even just a little bit of it - is going to help you both personally and professionally. Sure, it would be nice if everyone coming here would learn English.....but that just ain't gonna happen.

P.S. If I actually progressed through all ten of those discs, I would probably be fluent! I'll try to find that CD set and give you the brand name of it, but I highly recommend it. They also include a book so you can learn to read the foreign language as well as you speak it.
      Last edited by VA Dutch; 07-15-2006, 10:45 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Thanks VA dutch, looking forward to hearing the name of the set!

Comment

Learning Spanish

I looked at it and the title is Learn Spanish In Your Car by Penton. It comes in a little black leatherette case with ten audio CDs and an instruction boolet. If I remember correctly, it was about thirty bucks or so.

I bought it at Barnes & Noble about five or six years ago. They had about ten different types of language lessons for sale, and it was a tough choice between two or three of them that seemed like the best value.

I hope that information helps!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Dos cerveza, porfavor....
            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Here are the most important Spanish phrases you will need:

Cerveza.

Mas cerveza.

¿Donde esta el baño?

Comment

Save your cash. There's a book for Spanish for Law Enforcement at your local library as well as spanish tapes, dvds, and cds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bboy
                  Save your cash. There's a book for Spanish for Law Enforcement at your local library as well as spanish tapes, dvds, and cds.
                  HA! Good call! Free is defenetly much better

Comment

I teach Spanish. The absolute best self-study course is FSI (the Platiquemos version is more up to date and user friendly, but the old version is good too). The next best is Pimsleur, but it's audio only and pretty basic, so you'll need to supplement. Ultimate Spanish by Living Language is also decent, though it contains some minor errors. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza
                      I teach Spanish. The absolute best self-study course is FSI (the Platiquemos version is more up to date and user friendly, but the old version is good too). The next best is Pimsleur, but it's audio only and pretty basic, so you'll need to supplement. Ultimate Spanish by Living Language is also decent, though it contains some minor errors. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
                      What do you think about the Rosetta Stone course? I see the commercials a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalia
                        What do you think about the Rosetta Stone course? I see the commercials a lot.
                        Rosetta Stone is a decent computer based course for building vocabulary and giving you a basic feel for the structure of a language, but it's not a stand alone course. Mixing Rosetta Stone with any one of the courses that I mentioned above would give you a solid foundation. LE professionals would probably want to pick one of the courses mentioned and combine it with a solid book/CD package focusing on Spanish for Law Enforcement and also Medical Spanish. There are a lot of these, which you should be able to find in any good bookstore/library. Make sure you get the CDs if available. An audio component is essential for self-study.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza

any opinions about Learning Spanish Like Crazy courses and FSI Programmatic Spanish (1-4)

http://www.learningspanishproductsreviews.com/home.html

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Choke
                            any opinions about Learning Spanish Like Crazy courses and FSI Programmatic Spanish (1-4)

http://www.learningspanishproductsreviews.com/home.html

Learning Spanish like Crazy is pretty much a rip off of the original FSI course. FSI Programmatic Spanish is a pretty good course which will give you a solid foundation and excellent pronunciation, but it is distinct both from the original FSI Spanish and the updated Platiquemos version. One of the latter two would be a better overall choice, especially Platiquemos as it is more up to date, but FSI Programmatic Spanish would be a great second choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5167 users online. 373 members and 4794 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X