Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laser jammer. What statutes or § is violated?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser jammer. What statutes or § is violated?

Hi. I am a new member of this forum, but I have been reading a lot of threads the last few days. I read a thread about laser jammers and most of the answers were sarcastic and quite stupid. I have a lot of respect of most of you Police Officers that makes me able to have the life that I have now, not worrying if Im going to get shot or robbed every day. I would like to thank you all for that. I have also seen some few police officers (notice that I dont use capital letters here) that are arrogant, ignorant and that are completely lost when it comes to what their job is about, Protecting and Serving the public. You guys are the reason why a lot of people say they hate "cops". Im just dissapointed. That being said, I know that most of you guys are doing the best you can and I truely appriciate that. Thank you once again.

Now to my question. Ive heard a lot about radar detectors and laser jammers. Some LEO's claim that its not legal to use them because its interfering with a police officers job. IF you as an officer would ticket or put a person in jail for the use of a jammer. Which statute would you use? Which law is being broken and what how do you/a judge interpret it? What could the punishment be using this equipment? I live in WI/MN so I would prefer the Officers from this area to respond, but Im sure that there are people in other states that have the same question, so feel free to answer.

I dont need to be told that it doesnt work or that I should save my money to pay tickets. I dont think I will buy it, but Ive seen several forums that claims that its not illegal which I find a little strange. What Im looking for here is a specific § in the law that says that a person can not use it. No sarcastic or bull answers for certain officers that are out of control. I know that its illegal in Washington and Virginia.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me!

*grabs the popcorn to enjoy the show*

Originally posted by cake
    ...You guys are the reason why a lot of people say they hate "cops".
    Oh... but can you help answer something for me?

Enjoy your response.

Comment

Ive heard a lot about radar detectors and laser jammers. Some LEO's claim that its not legal to use them because its interfering with a police officers job. IF you as an officer would ticket or put a person in jail for the use of a jammer. Which statute would you use? Which law is being broken and what how do you/a judge interpret it? What could the punishment be using this equipment? I live in WI/MN so I would prefer the Officers from this area to respond, but Im sure that there are people in other states that have the same question, so feel free to answer.

I can give you Virginia law. And most other states will have similar laws of course. I doubt a police officer could ever get a conviction for "obstruction of justice" though.

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

(1962, c. 125, § 46.1-198.1; 1975, c. 108; 1976, c. 90; 1978, cc. 87, 91; 1981, c. 303; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 825; 1998, c. 300.)
      Last edited by SHERIFF; 07-07-2006, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soon2Be

Enjoy your response.
        It was pretty clear to me that he was speaking of only the "few".
        And he hasn't said a word that isn't true.

I have also seen some few police officers that are arrogant, ignorant and that are completely lost when it comes to what their job is about, Protecting and Serving the public. You guys are the reason why a lot of people say they hate "cops". Im just dissapointed.

Comment

Enjoy your response.

You missed the point. I didnt say that I hate cops, I said that Im dissapointed in people misusing their position to feel better about yourself. I think I mentioned at least two times how much I appriciate Police Officers serving and protecting. Saying people hate cops was a general expression for what a lot of people says when you ask them how they feel about Police Officers. The people that thinks that the world would be better without the Police must have some kind of malfunction in their head. Police officers that use their position to so that they can get a boner is the one targeted in that statement. Like a certain Wisconsin cop that said that he pulls people over for having their hand/arm outside the window when its warm outside calling it inproper hand signal. Now that might be a joke that I didnt understand, and I hope that I didnt.

Comment

Yeah Sheriff. I know that Virginia is pretty straight forward about it, but the rest of the States are pretty vague about the whole thing. Thats why Im wondering. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah Sheriff. I know that Virginia is pretty straight forward about it, but the rest of the States are pretty vague about the whole thing. Thats why Im wondering. Thanks!
              I would think they still have a similar law, with the exception of the words "radar detector". Since most all states allow them now. Maybe not though.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                Wrong. Pretty obvious you have no idea where to start looking in your own state - don't blame the "rest of the States" (or even your own) as being "pretty vague" when the problem/ignorance lies within YOURSELF.
                Thats why I have this thread Einstein. So please enlighten me

Comment

Radar detectors are in fact legal in most states (Virginia is a notable exception - if they're illegal in Washington, it's the first I've heard of it) for use in private vehicles. Unless there is a specific statute for laser jammers, they would be legal, as well. However, I think you would be wasting your money, as I have seen no evidence that they work. Again, I'm not an expert here, but I know enough about the science behind them that I don't think these would be effective under anything but the most ideal conditions.

Radar jammers, by the way, ARE illegal under federal law. If you transmit on a restricted frequency, you have to have an FCC license to do so, and you can't jam a radio frequency without transmitting. Besides, in order for these to function effectively, they have to be of sufficient output that they would cause interference with other devices operating in the electromagnetic spectrum (commercial radio, cell phones, pagers, garage door openers, etc.). My suggestion: slow down, drive the speed limit, and wave at the state trooper as you go by.
                  Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Yeah I agree that doing the speedlimit is the best idea, and that buying a Laser jammer is not going to make you be able to drive undetected. I have just heard about people being threatened by LEO's that using a Laser Jammer is a misdemeanor and can potentionally put you in jail. This is said in other states than Virginia. What they say is that its hindering the LEO to do his job.

I have searched the http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/ site and didnt find anything that I think was clear on the matter. Thats why I figured that I would ask the Officers that are out there every day and knows these things.

Comment

Hey you know what? Buried in the 3 paragraphs, there is a legitimate question in there.

Is it really so hard to just ask the question, without explaining why people hate cops?

So, my problem certainly wasn't with the question, rather the delivery.

FYI, cake, don't bring your radar jammer to Ontario, if you ever come up. They'll sieze it on you. There is signage posted at border crossings, to remind you though.

The OPP has some sophisticated detection equipment, and nail a lot of people daily with such devices. Save yourself the money and aggravation.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                        Lose that attitude junior and Maybe I'll consider it (don't hold your breath)...
                        Ah come on. I said that with a sarcasm. The obvious reason for me to have this thread is to enlighten myself so that I know what Im talking about while discussing with people. Im actually siding with the LEO when it comes to the use of different devices "to protect themselves" from tickets. I have a detector, but thats it. I know that its no point in saying that I only have the detector to make myself aware if Im speeding because Ive seen the discussions on that matter. (why is it so hard to believe that a beep once a while actually keeps people on their toes so they dont speed???)

Comment

Hey you know what? Buried in the 3 paragraphs, there is a legitimate question in there.

Is it really so hard to just ask the question, without explaining why people hate cops?

So, my problem certainly wasn't with the question, rather the delivery.

FYI, cake, don't bring your radar jammer to Ontario, if you ever come up. They'll sieze it on you. There is signage posted at border crossings, to remind you though.

The OPP has some sophisticated detection equipment, and nail a lot of people daily with such devices. Save yourself the money and aggravation.

I wrote the thread after reading a post from a cop that was so arrogant that I almost puked on my keyboard, so I just had to vent a little while writing the thread.

Im talking about Laser Jammers, not Radar. But I guess you just put in the wrong word. The reason for me to ask this is so that people like me and my friends dont break any law without knowing it. Im up for a long ride this summer with my car, and you better be sure that Im not going to mess up my vacation by doing something stupid. I am not too worried about the jammer since I dont own one, but I do have a detector that I know for sure that I will put in a bag in the trunk if I ever go to Virginia or Canada. Im more worried about my friend(s) that think this is fun and games and nothing is going to happen. If somebody here could give me the § so that I can show that to my friends I would be happy. So far it seems like they are "winning" since nobody has been able to produce any evidence that laser jammers are indeed not legal to use.

Comment

Comment

I was driving about a month ago down a single lane highway when a fellow who had been tailgating me (I was driving 67MPH) for the last few miles finally had his chance to show me who was boss. We made it to a 2 lane highway and he jerked into the fast lane and blazed past me. He didn't blaze fast enough for me to see the device he had right there in windshield. It sure wasn't a GPS/PDA I'll tell you that . About 20 seconds later a CHP officer blasts out from behind a very large bush and nails the sucker. He was driving without a care in the world then BAM. He probably wasted enough time with that ticket that he could've been driving the speed limit and made it to his destination. . Whatever...they return money to the state. At least SOME good comes out of such crappy drivers.

I think Mr. Dees is correct. I'll bet even in normal driving conditions those devices are almost useless. They probably detect/jam like crazy but not before the officer nails you.
                              -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4273 users online. 269 members and 4004 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X