• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK219
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybean40:
    but i dont blame the internet for breaking up marriages, something was not right in the marriage to start with, with one of the partners at least.]

I agree the internet doesn't break up marriages per say. With my parents my mom was looking for an out. They had a good relationship but once us kids grew up Mom felt she had no reason to stay The worst was telling my dad, The guy never saw it coming. He worked alot to support the family. He's a great guy. My brother's wife was just a [Eek!] . And my ex and i are still good friends. We just rushed into things to fast. We never had a chance to get to know each other. The computor was an escape for her, in respect to it allowed her to relive her high school social years. while watching a 2 month old child.
    Personally The best places to met people is at work. Here's why 1) they understand the job and will understand any odd hours required.2) you probably already know alot about each other. 3)It's alot cheaper then the bar scene.
    Yeah if it doesn't work out then it might be uncormfortable. But Adults should be able to act mature.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    I met this one dude that used to come in here a lot; we are both from the same city.

I talk on line all the time to this guy I knew when we were in the Army years ago.

I've known Klar for about 16 years, and have known Sandie since she first came out here.

Leave a comment:

• Pigskin
    replied
    Never met anybody from on-line but I only go to here & Zone. Don't know if I'd want to meet anyone though. Please don't be offended but there's something about the allure of not knowing.

Leave a comment:

• Piper
    replied
    I've met a few gal pals that I used to talk to, we met in Nashville for my 27th Birthday. That was a hoot and two hollars.

As for here, haven't met a soul. Yapped on the phone with a few and plan to meet in the near future.

Katey! I can't wait to see you girl!!!!

Leave a comment:

• shooter1201
    replied
    Does the group of ex-military and current LEO buds that I go camping with count?

Leave a comment:

• Ron1432
    replied
    I haven't met any either. And I also like the t-shirt idea, however, I don't know how much I would wear it in public. I used to wear the "cop type" t-shirts off duty. Never had a problem because of it, but, as I got more time in it just didn't feel right.

As far as a meeting, there are som many Texans here a regional thing would be cool.

[ 08-13-2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Ron1432 ]

Leave a comment:

• SB
    replied
    Urban Jedi and I used to work at the same station, so yeah, I have I suppose.
    I am meeting an O.com contact from the US tommorow who is visiting London. Should be good

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat06
    replied
    -----------------------
    Last edited by Bearcat06; 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Niteshift
    replied
    I've met 7 people registered here. Talked to a lot more. And should be meeting at least one more in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    i agree with you ghost. i think its because if you *talk* for a long time first, you know the person (usually), and know if you like them already or not. sometimes people get together that wouldnt normally if they were just passing on the street.

and Mitzi i know what you mean, it does make it easier to *meet* people in the privacy of your own home, and without anyone knowing. but i dont blame the internet for breaking up marriages, something was not right in the marriage to start with, with one of the partners at least.

also, Klar and Sandie met on-line and they are very happily married

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    I've meet a few people IRL, that I originally met online- they were all good times. I spent a lot of time talking to them online before we ever got together though. They were exactly who they said they were, and we've been good friends. My mom met my stepdad online, and they've been married three very happy years, and my dad met his girlfriend online and they've been together three years as well. I think it's good times to be had. I also think, and I know it's been said before, but when you talk to people online before you meet them in RL, when you do meet them, you're not so focused on judging by appearances. JMHO.
    edit: Mitzi, I know one story isn't going to change your entire perception, but my mom and dad both met their current SOs online, before they divorced; they didn't split up because of this. On the contrary, having someone to talk to while they were going through all the tough stuff, made them much more civil to each other, and let us kids not have to worry about being dragged into the middle of their arguments. I gained a lot of respect for my stepdad during that time.

[ 08-13-2002, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: ghost ]

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    I, personally, have never talked to anyone who has met anyone on the net as far as dating or mariage that it ended up happy. But, that's just my experience. I sympathize with you, Mortal Knight, on what the computer has done to your family. I am also on a forum that deals with some of this stuff sometimes.
    One of my friends met a guy here that was into Civil War stuff. She had talked to him for quite awhile and decided they could have a date. They met halfway and, to her surprise (and amazement), he walked in in a Civil War uniform. SHe said they talked a bit then he excused himself to go to the restroom. Only she noticed he went through the kitchen and out the back door. She said she got bad vibes but next thing she knew, there were two officers in REAL police uniforms asking to speak to her. They took her through the kitchen out to the back where her civil war hero was in handcuffs for making a drug deal. She was questioned and let go.
    That was the first, and last, time she met someone from the net.
    Maybe others can tel you some positive stories they have heard, Katey. All I can say is, from what I have heard, the computer isn't a real good place to really get to know someone very well. Of course, real life can be that way too.
    On the one board I'm on, it just breaks my heart to think of the stories I have heard of people whose families were broken up because they felt they met their "soulmate" online. The computer sure has made it a lot easier to cheat.

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mitzi:
    Of course, I can not give you suggestions on romantic meetings. But I do urge you to be careful, katey. WHen you talk to someone on the computer, all yolu know is what they tell you. Good luck!

I have mixed feelings on that subject... yeah, if you meet someone out here in the real world (work, bar, store, whatever) you can tell they're not lying about BIG things...like being a man or woman lol, or what they look like. but you cant tell if they're lying about other things, or if they could be violent or strange. i just think sometimes people act like the net is so creepy; is going to bars better?

in this day and age, i think you have only a few choices of where and how to meet a man...to have as a friend, or to go out and have dinner with, whatever. for those of us who arent looking for a husband, the *dating services* are out...and i'd never be interested in signing up for one anyway. had a friend have a bunch of bad experiences with hers, which was a very expensive, professionals-only service.

i have made really good friends on-line...i havent had bad experiences with them at all. i have had bad experiences in Chat, with people i really didnt even know. and i really dont chat much anymore now.

i do know at least 4 people that have met a mate on-line... 2 did happen to be already married. but i think if they were going to leave their mate, they would have met someone somehow, internet or not. yes, on-line you do have access to a large amount of people, but its each individual's choice how they use that access.

[ 08-12-2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]

Leave a comment:

• MK219
    replied
    Personally, I never met anyone from the internet. I usually stay away from chat rooms altogher. One of the only reason I come to this site is all the great information is priceless! Don't get me wrong I think you guys are great and loads of fun, but a little gun shy of the net.
    My mom left my dad after 30 years of marriage for a guy she met on the net. They both now live in N.C. My little brother's wife left him for a guy she met on the net. My ex left me for a guy she met on the net.
    I lucked out though Met my wife at work, been happily married 3 years this 8/30

The cool thing about the t-shirt/polo shirt idea is it will be sort of like a secret hand shake type deal. You see the shirt and you know already that you probaly talked to the person already. But if the person wearing the shirt looks ,well lets say, [Eek!] , You can just walk away then wait to you are on-line to tell all the other members that you saw a freak who stole a Officer. com shirt.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    I went to a "meet" of a group of people my age at the beach. It was nice and they were very nice people. But, I do prefer to keep my computer life seperate from reality. Now, it wouldn't bother me to call someone I knew a long time only I would use a phone card and call them. A phone card would not give them my phone number.
    I'm too wary of the Internet. Now, thee are some people here I would love to talk to and would call if they gave me their phone number. But, I'm just too concerned about giving out my own. I have heard some real horror stories abour people from the Internet.
    One thing that was interesting....When my H and I went on this meet, we had fun. My H knew none of these people but I would not go alone. But, since that meet, most of them have disappeared from the group and I know I used my deodorant [Wink] Some of us are still there and we still correspond. One thing I do is, since I am an artist, I do potraits of their grandchildren of those that have discovered they themselves are ill and send them to them as a gift, to encourage them to keep fighting the illness they have.
    Of course, I can not give you suggestions on romantic meetings. But I do urge you to be careful, katey. WHen you talk to someone on the computer, all yolu know is what they tell you. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6434 users online. 367 members and 6067 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X