300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you...

have actually met in person someone that they talk to online? Was it more than one person? Good or bad experience(s)?

NONE.. [Frown]
    " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Katey..could there be a reason behind this question?? Hmmmm??? [Wink]

Seriously though, I have met several people, male and female that I've come to know through the 'net. I can't say any were bad experiences, some were better than others of course.

Word to the wise, just don't put yourself into an uncomfortable (meaning unsafe) position.
      Steve

Comment

I have met quite a few. Most that had to do with a hockey forum I belong to (a group of us got together for a Flyers game, and I've gone to a game with someone from that forum who wanted to call it a date, but it was NOT!)

I've also met one from O.com and someone very, very special from another forum.

Looking forward to meeting Piper sometime next week.

And still looking forward to meeting Steve. [Wink]

Comment

quote:
          Katey..could there be a reason behind this question?? Hmmmm???
          Maybe [Wink]

Comment

I havent met anyone is person that i knew on-line first, yet. The people i knew from Jersey on-line were all strange lol. (fearfully so [Eek!] )

i've talked to 2 people on the phone from this forum, one from another forum who knows people from this forum in RL LOL, and a couple others when i used to chat in Copsbeat/Kops. i'd like to be able to talk on the phone more, but when i'm home i'm usually sleeping i guess.

i think the December get-together will be fun if it works out. even if Klar and Sandie cant make it, we should still plan something.
            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I've met many people from online in person, all have been good experiences, some better than others. I've met close to 30 people over the last few years. I'm not saying they were all perfect human beings, but I can take care of myself pretty well and have never really felt any sort of danger or threat when meeting, some have actually become pretty good friends. Oh there was one guy who stood me up and one who was into playing games, he told me he would meet me and never showed up, this happened a couple times, I usually don't give people more than 1 chance, 3 is the absolute max and few people get that many chances with me. I've met them anywhere from a bar, coffee shop, restaurant, picked them up in my car, parking lot, my house, park, their house....I've always felt I'm a good judge of character and can take care of myself, so far I've done a good job of it for the last 38 years.
              Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

I've met two, other than a few that I attempted to recruit, that didn't stick around long.

I've talked to several on the phone, though.

One of the ones that I met, didn't pan out too well, everything was friendly, then, POOF, no more contact....

The other one, was an applicant at my department, and when I told him that we had had contact before, online, he nearly fainted! (I was his background investigator).

As I said in the other thread, I think a get-together would be fun, if enough could get the time...
                Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by 207:
                  NONE..

We need to fix that !!! [Wink]
                  Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

I've met two romantic type interests from the internet... Both were two rather unpleasant situations and I've vowed no more romantic type encounters.

Now, I do have a lot of friends that I would meet that I have gotten to know from over the years. Next summer I was debating on whether to go to the UK for the summer and I would then meet up with some friends in London that I know and love.
                    No partner is worth your tears -
                    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

I went to a "meet" of a group of people my age at the beach. It was nice and they were very nice people. But, I do prefer to keep my computer life seperate from reality. Now, it wouldn't bother me to call someone I knew a long time only I would use a phone card and call them. A phone card would not give them my phone number.
                      I'm too wary of the Internet. Now, thee are some people here I would love to talk to and would call if they gave me their phone number. But, I'm just too concerned about giving out my own. I have heard some real horror stories abour people from the Internet.
                      One thing that was interesting....When my H and I went on this meet, we had fun. My H knew none of these people but I would not go alone. But, since that meet, most of them have disappeared from the group and I know I used my deodorant [Wink] Some of us are still there and we still correspond. One thing I do is, since I am an artist, I do potraits of their grandchildren of those that have discovered they themselves are ill and send them to them as a gift, to encourage them to keep fighting the illness they have.
                      Of course, I can not give you suggestions on romantic meetings. But I do urge you to be careful, katey. WHen you talk to someone on the computer, all yolu know is what they tell you. Good luck!

Comment

Personally, I never met anyone from the internet. I usually stay away from chat rooms altogher. One of the only reason I come to this site is all the great information is priceless! Don't get me wrong I think you guys are great and loads of fun, but a little gun shy of the net.
                        My mom left my dad after 30 years of marriage for a guy she met on the net. They both now live in N.C. My little brother's wife left him for a guy she met on the net. My ex left me for a guy she met on the net.
                        I lucked out though Met my wife at work, been happily married 3 years this 8/30

The cool thing about the t-shirt/polo shirt idea is it will be sort of like a secret hand shake type deal. You see the shirt and you know already that you probaly talked to the person already. But if the person wearing the shirt looks ,well lets say, [Eek!] , You can just walk away then wait to you are on-line to tell all the other members that you saw a freak who stole a Officer. com shirt.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Mitzi:
                          Of course, I can not give you suggestions on romantic meetings. But I do urge you to be careful, katey. WHen you talk to someone on the computer, all yolu know is what they tell you. Good luck!

I have mixed feelings on that subject... yeah, if you meet someone out here in the real world (work, bar, store, whatever) you can tell they're not lying about BIG things...like being a man or woman lol, or what they look like. but you cant tell if they're lying about other things, or if they could be violent or strange. i just think sometimes people act like the net is so creepy; is going to bars better?

in this day and age, i think you have only a few choices of where and how to meet a man...to have as a friend, or to go out and have dinner with, whatever. for those of us who arent looking for a husband, the *dating services* are out...and i'd never be interested in signing up for one anyway. had a friend have a bunch of bad experiences with hers, which was a very expensive, professionals-only service.

i have made really good friends on-line...i havent had bad experiences with them at all. i have had bad experiences in Chat, with people i really didnt even know. and i really dont chat much anymore now.

i do know at least 4 people that have met a mate on-line... 2 did happen to be already married. but i think if they were going to leave their mate, they would have met someone somehow, internet or not. yes, on-line you do have access to a large amount of people, but its each individual's choice how they use that access.

[ 08-12-2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                          "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I, personally, have never talked to anyone who has met anyone on the net as far as dating or mariage that it ended up happy. But, that's just my experience. I sympathize with you, Mortal Knight, on what the computer has done to your family. I am also on a forum that deals with some of this stuff sometimes.
                            One of my friends met a guy here that was into Civil War stuff. She had talked to him for quite awhile and decided they could have a date. They met halfway and, to her surprise (and amazement), he walked in in a Civil War uniform. SHe said they talked a bit then he excused himself to go to the restroom. Only she noticed he went through the kitchen and out the back door. She said she got bad vibes but next thing she knew, there were two officers in REAL police uniforms asking to speak to her. They took her through the kitchen out to the back where her civil war hero was in handcuffs for making a drug deal. She was questioned and let go.
                            That was the first, and last, time she met someone from the net.
                            Maybe others can tel you some positive stories they have heard, Katey. All I can say is, from what I have heard, the computer isn't a real good place to really get to know someone very well. Of course, real life can be that way too.
                            On the one board I'm on, it just breaks my heart to think of the stories I have heard of people whose families were broken up because they felt they met their "soulmate" online. The computer sure has made it a lot easier to cheat.

Comment

I've meet a few people IRL, that I originally met online- they were all good times. I spent a lot of time talking to them online before we ever got together though. They were exactly who they said they were, and we've been good friends. My mom met my stepdad online, and they've been married three very happy years, and my dad met his girlfriend online and they've been together three years as well. I think it's good times to be had. I also think, and I know it's been said before, but when you talk to people online before you meet them in RL, when you do meet them, you're not so focused on judging by appearances. JMHO.
                              edit: Mitzi, I know one story isn't going to change your entire perception, but my mom and dad both met their current SOs online, before they divorced; they didn't split up because of this. On the contrary, having someone to talk to while they were going through all the tough stuff, made them much more civil to each other, and let us kids not have to worry about being dragged into the middle of their arguments. I gained a lot of respect for my stepdad during that time.

[ 08-13-2002, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: ghost ]
                              Don't take life too seriously- you'll never come out of it alive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6173 users online. 376 members and 5797 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X