Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just read this on Fox News website- NJ wants to make metal bats ILLEGAL????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just read this on Fox News website- NJ wants to make metal bats ILLEGAL????

I was just on the Fox News website and saw that this tool NJ state assemblyman wants to outlaw metal bats because one boy got beaned on the head by a ball hit off a metal bat and went into a coma.

Yes, very very sad and tragic.

But to make it illegal? WTF????
    Now the governments are going to tell us what kind of BATS our kids can use???????????????
    Or am I way off here?

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201434,00.html
    Last edited by hounddog; 07-02-2006, 07:03 PM. Reason: add link

Please excuse the error,
    The boy was hit in the chest and his heart stopped. Still very sad, but hardly warrants outlawing metal bats!!!

Comment

let me explain.. balls coming off of a metal bat are going about 8-10mph faster than balls coming off of wooden bats.. it gets a good many guys killed every year.. more and more coaches are going to wooden bats despite a lower batting avg. and slower avg. thats why the pro's use wood bats.. there's a very good reason for it.. me and a couple buds were doing BP(batting practice) one day w/ a wooden bat.. we use wood to increase our bat swing b/c the metal bats are MUCH lighter than wooden bats.. my friend was hit in the face AT SHORT STOP.. had the ball gone a couple more millimeters into his face it would have killed him.. had to have reconstructive surgery, be FLOWN off of the baseball filed and all that good stuff.. doc said had we been using a normal metal bat it would have killed him.. and trust me my friend, it happens FAR more often than you realize.. i'm somewhat for eliminating metal bats, at least once kids reach high school.. besides, who doesn't like the sound of a wood bat making contact more than the metal bats we use these days anyhow?
      www.darkwolfunderground.com/forum if you join you can see all the other good stuff on the forums. Do not enter if you are faint of heart-or don't like HARD training.... think.......strongman???

Comment

If metal bats are outlawed, then only outlaws will have metal bats.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch
          If metal bats are outlawed, then only outlaws will have metal bats.
          Nice! Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by bthames2000
            let me explain.. balls coming off of a metal bat are going about 8-10mph faster than balls coming off of wooden bats.. it gets a good many guys killed every year.. more and more coaches are going to wooden bats despite a lower batting avg. and slower avg. thats why the pro's use wood bats.. there's a very good reason for it.. me and a couple buds were doing BP(batting practice) one day w/ a wooden bat.. we use wood to increase our bat swing b/c the metal bats are MUCH lighter than wooden bats.. my friend was hit in the face AT SHORT STOP.. had the ball gone a couple more millimeters into his face it would have killed him.. had to have reconstructive surgery, be FLOWN off of the baseball filed and all that good stuff.. doc said had we been using a normal metal bat it would have killed him.. and trust me my friend, it happens FAR more often than you realize.. i'm somewhat for eliminating metal bats, at least once kids reach high school.. besides, who doesn't like the sound of a wood bat making contact more than the metal bats we use these days anyhow?
            So are you saying it is Ok to OUTLAW and ciminalize metal bats because a few people are injured every year?

If so- by this logic;

Spearing in football paralyzes many athletes every year. So anyone caught spearing should be guilty of a crime?

Double Nelson in wrestling is responsible for many many injuries and broken bones. So anyone caught using this manuver should be guilty of a crime?

Javelins occasionally kill or severely injure people every year. So you should be guilty of a crime if you are caught using one?

Many kids are seriously injured every year participating in pole vaulting. To participate you should be guilty of a crime?

Several kids die every year from their hearts stopping while playing basket ball. Should that game be outlawed as well?

People die every year racing cars. Make that a crime too?

Every year people get hurt and killed playing sports, and it is sad. If you do not want your child hurt, don't let them play. But to make things illegal? Where does it end? When does the governments control stop? If this is allowed, maybe we will not be allowed to have wood bats either. After all, they have killed people too. And at a similar rate of use as metal bats.

Comment

300 people in the US die each day in motor vehicle accidents. 450,000 or so die each year from health problems associated with cigarettes. And around 75,000 each die in the US from alcohol related incidents. So we need to outlaw alcohol products, cigarettes and motor vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                So we need to outlaw alcohol products, cigarettes and motor vehicles.

No, just regulate it to death(sorry couldn't resist).
                When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Comment

They just want to try to make the game safer for kids to play. I think that's admirable, but I'm not sure if making the bats illegal is the answer. Like the bat industry people say, other factors play into the ball coming off of the bat. I do think a $300 bat for a kid's game is ridiculous. Maybe the way the bats are made and regulating the types of metal bats that littler league uses should be considered.

Just my opinion.

Sammy
                  If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                  www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Number one killer is America today is heart disease - ban McDonalds!
                    You cannot regulate and legislate the world to safety. if people are merely held accountable for what they do, instead of blaming everyone else, and getting slick shyster lawyers to win huge payoff lawsuits for the complainent doing something incredibly stupid, (remember the McDonalds coffee incident?), then we would be a better place.
                    Otherwise, prepare for a world made of Nerf.
                    BTW, that does sound like something The People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey would do...

Comment

Coming from NJ, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Comment

This from the state which does not allow people to pump gas, and used to have a law regulating how eggs could be served.

Comment

Originally posted by hounddog
                          Every year people get hurt and killed playing sports, and it is sad. If you do not want your child hurt, don't let them play. But to make things illegal? Where does it end? When does the governments control stop? If this is allowed, maybe we will not be allowed to have wood bats either. After all, they have killed people too. And at a similar rate of use as metal bats.
                          I think you have the most valid point of all concerning this discussion hounddog... It isn't restricted to baseball bats, sports in general or ANYTHING else... It gets restricted ONLY by what the politicians believe they can get by with. I mean, I believe (need to research again) that we (as a nation) have more laws than over half of all other nations on the planet... So you're going to tell me we need to outlaw metal baseball bats because a couple of people are injured by getting hit with the balls coming off of those bats?? Get real, if it really is that dangerous, then maybe the players should be wearing face masks and chest padding or such!

Comment

An awful lot of energy gets wasted trying to make life foolproof, or liability-proof
                            shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

Whatever happened to whiffle ball? Oh yeah, a kid got his finger stuck in it and had to have it cut off.
                              Jerry
                              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5412 users online. 388 members and 5024 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X