X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMS 525
    replied
    On a lighter side of this issue:

Friend of mine sent this to me the other day, and I thought it was pretty cute, especially for those of us who like "Blue humor."

This officer stops this motorist for running a stop sign one day. The guy argues that he did stop, but the cop told him he saw him roll through, and that he must come to a complete stop first. The sign says STOP for a reason. Motorist continues to argue, saying no traffic was coming from the other way. Cop said that didn't matter.

Finally exasperated, the cop takes out his baton, and starts beating the crap out of the motorist. Motorist askes, "What the hell are you doing?" Cop replies, "Do you want me to slow down, or stop?"

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffIL
    I'm pretty sure you don't have a background in LE, at least as a copper. We certainly don't hear the "go catch someone really committing a crime" line very much, which is essentially what you are saying. Though you committed a violation, you shouldn't get stopped, only people that commit a violation that YOU think is serious should be stopped. Personally, I don't like expired plates (more than a few months). I pay to renew my plates, others pay to renew theirs, why shouldn't the person I stop? To call and complain about it...thats just silly.
    First off, you can believe what you want, but I assure you I was a police officer for a small city about the time you were learning to read with Dick, Jane, & Sally.
    I did not call to complain about the Trooper giving me a cite for the plates; I complained about the other Trooper seeing with his own eyes that moron blowing right through that red light, just about smashing into me, and deciding not to do anything about it. That was pure BS in anyone's book. The duty officer I spoke to informed me that there were no Troopers in that area on any urgent calls at that time.
    I'm almost willing to bet if that Trooper had stopped that clown, there was a good chance of him getting him for more than just running that red light. We all know about that simple stop turning into a major bust here and there.
    My complaint was based on, and the issue of my cite for expired plates was brought up, on account of my concern(and that of others) as to where their priorities were. I was curious as to were they just as adamant on cracking down on major violations, lest more had to die.
    To hell with that $60 I had to pay!! If that helped as fuel to make them wake up and crack down on dangerous drivers out there, then it is well worth it, and I'd even pay it again! Although I have given my hands to another line of work, I still feel as though I am behind that badge in some ways, and I really have concern for the safety of the public out there. And like I said before, it is plain to see that they are on a push to crack down on serious traffic offenders out there, and that makes me really happy.

And, thank you for that compliment on your second post. Although I wasn't and never am looking for any medals or pats on the back, that means a lot.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    By the way, stopping to help someone in an accident is admirable and you should be commended for doing so.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    Originally posted by DMS 525
    Running a stop sign here does not carry as much a fine as having expired plates! Despite the fact about a week earlier, I witness an accident where this ignorant fool brazenly blasted right through a stop sign, t-boning this car and killing the young lady inside. In spite of his excuses, it was plain to see that he was used to driving like an idiot in a hurry all the time, blasting through stop signs like he thought he was exempt from them, and getting away with it all the time!!

About a week later, I was on my way home from work in the area, when I got stopped by a State Trooper for expired plates. I was unaware the law had changed, giving me less time to get my plates renewed, and when you work from sunup to sundown 6 days a week, it is difficult to get in and get those plates renewed. Trooper was just a young buck, and it was plain to see he was on a ticket writing spree that day(left a traffic stop he was just finishing up with to stop me). He wrote me that ticket anyway, for a fine of close to $60.
    I told him I was not going to argue with him, nor contest that citation, but I did have a question for him. Asked him what the fine for running a stop sign was. He told me; much less than the fine I had to pay. I then asked him if he heard about that fatal T/A just north of there about a week earlier. He said he was aware of it, but asked me what it had to do with the current situation. I told him he was talking to one of the eyewitnesses, who rendered aid to the victim, and secured the scene until the law arrived.
    He asked me what my point was; I told him what I said earlier, that that fool at fault in the accident was obviously used to getting away with his crap, yet I get stopped and nailed for expired plates, like I was really putting the public in danger with that!! I politely informed the young Trooper that although his dilligence was to be admired, his discretion left a lot to be desired(I know more than a few older Troopers who would have not even bothered to stop me, or if they did, they would have just issued a warning memo).

I paid the fine, got my plates renewed, and told myself not to let it get to me. Didn't, until a couple of weeks later, when I was again in that area coming back from a job(driving a concrete mixer, going back to my plant for another load). I come in on an off ramp, and stop at a red light. When the light turns green, I start out to make a right hand turn, when this brazen idiot comes blasting right through the red light, nearly clipping my front end! No one is going to tell me he didn't see that red light- he just did not want to stop! That ignorant fool is lucky it was me driving that truck, or there would have been a serious accident that day. There was a State Trooper right there, going the opposite way, and saw the whole thing. What does he do? Gets on the bypass, and goes tearing down the road, without giving it another thought!!
    I got the Trooper's number, as well as the plate number of that car that ran the red light. When I got back to the plant, I went right in and called the District HQ, and gave that duty officer a piece of my mind but good! Asked him if he was looking for an official complaint, or even a lawsuit!! He assured me there would be action taken. I told him thank you.

BTW: I found out later that had I gone into traffic court with proof I had renewed my plates before the court date(which I did), they would have dismissed the charges, and all I'd had to pay was court costs(about $11). Trooper didn't even bother to inform me of that, and I just mailed in the fine. That's another complaint I had with that duty officer. He confirmed I was right, and said that Trooper should have informed me of that. I assured him that if that Trooper ever stopped me again, I was going to request that his supervisor come right to the scene. Duty officer told me that was within my rights.

Don't anyone get me wrong; having a background in LE myself, I do not wish to make trouble for anyone in LE if I don't really have to. Unless it is plain ignorance and dereliction of duty, or unprofessional behavior, such as some "badge heavy" jerk. Or in this case, someone who hassles someone who is not a flagrant violator for some chicken**** offense, when worse happens in that location every day, yet gets overlooked.
    I'm pretty sure you don't have a background in LE, at least as a copper. We certainly don't hear the "go catch someone really committing a crime" line very much, which is essentially what you are saying. Though you committed a violation, you shouldn't get stopped, only people that commit a violation that YOU think is serious should be stopped. Personally, I don't like expired plates (more than a few months). I pay to renew my plates, others pay to renew theirs, why shouldn't the person I stop? To call and complain about it...thats just silly.

Leave a comment:

• Dolmen
    replied
    Originally posted by badge1024
    and to the individual who said the "roundabout" or traffic circle is better....around here we call those suicide circles. accidents and deaths there all the time because theyre not regulated with any sort of device, you just kinda "slide in" where ever you can, its dangerous as hell
    Actually they're regulated by Yield signs, look at the picture.

If drivers in your neck of the woods can't navigate them safely, it would indicate a lack of driver training as the culprit, since roundabouts are used left, right and center in Europe without any significant problems.

Leave a comment:

• badge1024
    replied
    running a stop sign is running a stop sign. speeding is speeding. two completely seperate situations. and to the individual who said the "roundabout" or traffic circle is better....around here we call those suicide circles. accidents and deaths there all the time because theyre not regulated with any sort of device, you just kinda "slide in" where ever you can, its dangerous as hell

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Originally posted by Joepublicguy
    He probably writes people for running stop signs too. Cops are human, they can't catch it all, all the time. Caught you though. Next time get your tags in time and you wont pay that $60 again.
    Duly noted, on the proviso that you try to put yourself in my shoes just once.
    As you can see, I drive a concrete mixer all day, most of the time hauling 20 tons of concrete. A day doesn't go by I don't have to slam on my brakes or take evasive action against some damned fool out there, driving like they think they have to be in such a hurry, when they are really not. In that one case I mentioned, as well as a few others, had I not been on the ball, there could have been slaughter.
    I've been driving for over 30 years, and have been driving for a living most of my working life. I can count the number of citations for moving violations I've ever had on just one hand. Never have been in an accident that was my fault.

SWH and joepublic, I am pretty sure I am much older than either one of you, so I don't need your lecturing, OK? And you are not going to tell me that if you were in the same situation, you would not be ticked off. Especially if you spent what seemed like an eternity doing what you could do to try to save the life of someone, who was an innocent victim of ignorance and outright stupidity.

Perhaps there is some justice, tho. This situation happened a few years ago, and I have not seen that Trooper since. I'm pretty sure he and that other Trooper I complained about got their ears pinned back. They are sure cracking down on violators out on the freeway, and one city has installed those "trap cameras" at this one intersection I and many of my co-workers have had more than one close call at. And, just the first of this month, a bill was passed that has doubled the fines on all traffic offenses in the state, which may get the message through to those idiot drivers out there to think twice.

I am not nor have I ever been on any kind of a vendetta or revenge spree. I actually was really disappointed to see such poor discretion, and the tragic results of such. Maybe they were, too.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    Sounds like your just REALLY bitter that you got a summons. You're going to call his boss over because he didn't tell you how to get out of a legally written ticket for something that YOU did wrong? Jesus, get a grip.
    I did "get a grip!" On a lady we removed from her car, and then gave CPR to until the medics arrived. A young lady who was going somewhere, and had a lot to live for, but never saw it on account of some ignorant bastard who drove like he thought he had a right to(who, by the way, walked away without a scratch).

What made me mad was how it is apparent serious offenses get overlooked, but some Trooper can go out and write a whole book of tickets for Mickey Mouse offenses just to look like he is someone productive.

I'm just a blue collar working stiff, and $60 is a lot of money to me. Hate to see it go on account of some C.S. offense, like I was really hurting anyone. Not like those plates had been expired for a number of months.

Didn't they teach you in the academy "discretion is the better part of valor?"

Leave a comment:

• mavriktu
    replied
    In the old days (possibly this was before Cali. became a state ) we called it a "milkman stop".Back when they still had home milk delivery ,a good milkman would have his granny gear ,so that he would actually be abel to jump out the truck ,put the milk in the basket on the porch and get back to his truck which all this time is still rolling at about 10 feet a minute or some strange slow speed,straighten the wheel if need be and go to the next one,this was also done in the horse drawn days when the horse (mule) would usually know the route better than the milkman.

Leave a comment:

• miami-k9
    replied
    Dade County Fl. $133.50, 3 points

Leave a comment:

• SWH
    replied
    Originally posted by DMS 525
    Running a stop sign here does not carry as much a fine as having expired plates! Despite the fact about a week earlier, I witness an accident where this ignorant fool brazenly blasted right through a stop sign, t-boning this car and killing the young lady inside. In spite of his excuses, it was plain to see that he was used to driving like an idiot in a hurry all the time, blasting through stop signs like he thought he was exempt from them, and getting away with it all the time!!

About a week later, I was on my way home from work in the area, when I got stopped by a State Trooper for expired plates. I was unaware the law had changed, giving me less time to get my plates renewed, and when you work from sunup to sundown 6 days a week, it is difficult to get in and get those plates renewed. Trooper was just a young buck, and it was plain to see he was on a ticket writing spree that day(left a traffic stop he was just finishing up with to stop me). He wrote me that ticket anyway, for a fine of close to $60.
    I told him I was not going to argue with him, nor contest that citation, but I did have a question for him. Asked him what the fine for running a stop sign was. He told me; much less than the fine I had to pay. I then asked him if he heard about that fatal T/A just north of there about a week earlier. He said he was aware of it, but asked me what it had to do with the current situation. I told him he was talking to one of the eyewitnesses, who rendered aid to the victim, and secured the scene until the law arrived.
    He asked me what my point was; I told him what I said earlier, that that fool at fault in the accident was obviously used to getting away with his crap, yet I get stopped and nailed for expired plates, like I was really putting the public in danger with that!! I politely informed the young Trooper that although his dilligence was to be admired, his discretion left a lot to be desired(I know more than a few older Troopers who would have not even bothered to stop me, or if they did, they would have just issued a warning memo).

I paid the fine, got my plates renewed, and told myself not to let it get to me. Didn't, until a couple of weeks later, when I was again in that area coming back from a job(driving a concrete mixer, going back to my plant for another load). I come in on an off ramp, and stop at a red light. When the light turns green, I start out to make a right hand turn, when this brazen idiot comes blasting right through the red light, nearly clipping my front end! No one is going to tell me he didn't see that red light- he just did not want to stop! That ignorant fool is lucky it was me driving that truck, or there would have been a serious accident that day. There was a State Trooper right there, going the opposite way, and saw the whole thing. What does he do? Gets on the bypass, and goes tearing down the road, without giving it another thought!!
    I got the Trooper's number, as well as the plate number of that car that ran the red light. When I got back to the plant, I went right in and called the District HQ, and gave that duty officer a piece of my mind but good! Asked him if he was looking for an official complaint, or even a lawsuit!! He assured me there would be action taken. I told him thank you.

BTW: I found out later that had I gone into traffic court with proof I had renewed my plates before the court date(which I did), they would have dismissed the charges, and all I'd had to pay was court costs(about $11). Trooper didn't even bother to inform me of that, and I just mailed in the fine. That's another complaint I had with that duty officer. He confirmed I was right, and said that Trooper should have informed me of that. I assured him that if that Trooper ever stopped me again, I was going to request that his supervisor come right to the scene. Duty officer told me that was within my rights.

Don't anyone get me wrong; having a background in LE myself, I do not wish to make trouble for anyone in LE if I don't really have to. Unless it is plain ignorance and dereliction of duty, or unprofessional behavior, such as some "badge heavy" jerk. Or in this case, someone who hassles someone who is not a flagrant violator for some chicken**** offense, when worse happens in that location every day, yet gets overlooked.
    Sounds like your just REALLY bitter that you got a summons. You're going to call his boss over because he didn't tell you how to get out of a legally written ticket for something that YOU did wrong? Jesus, get a grip.

Leave a comment:

• COBodhi
    replied
    It's a California stop in Colorado too.

Fine depends on jurisdiction.

During a recent trip to northern CA, north of San Francisco, I was SHOCKED at how many people DO the speed limit AND get out of the fast lane so others can pass. It was quite a pleasant driving experience. Well, except that I was a lot more likely to be the one get stopped for speeding than I would be here in my home state.

Leave a comment:

• Dolmen
    replied
    See, this is what worries me about driving in California.

I have no idea what passes for legal here that is definitely not legal in the other states For example, nobody obeys the speed limit in LA, no-one, everyone here drives like an ***, if I ride at the posted speed limit I'm going to get rear ended by some yuppie on a cellphone.

As I understand it, speed limits are a bit more rigidly enforced in the other states, at least on surface streets.

Insofar as stop signs go, what I'd generally heard was that they should be "yield" signs, but most drivers have no idea what that actually means, so they got switched to stops.

I consider the point of a stop sign to be twofold:

1: Make sure that you can navigate the intersection safely and
    2: Traffic control, set up a method by which everyone can get through the intersection, especially 4-ways (which are oh so popular here in LA).

I ride a motorcycle, I don't want to stop unless I absolutely have to (I know too many riders who've been rear ended by inattentive drivers) so what I'll usually do is slow right down until I confirm that there's no other traffic about and then go through it, unless there's other traffic about in which case I'll usually come to a stop to give the person who has right of way enough time to figure out they have the right of way and take it (nothing annoys me more than some bumbling fool who won't take their damned right of way or deliberately wave me through, BE DECISIVE, either take it or don't, don't keep going, stopping, going, stopping, waving, then going again).

Leave a comment:

• jws8308
    replied
    Just like everybody else, it is called a California stop or roll here in Maryland, atleast thats what I refer to it as, even in court . It will also cost you a preset fine amount of $80.00.

Leave a comment:

• OrlandoExp103
    replied
    $115.50 for California Stops here in Florida

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4359 users online. 270 members and 4089 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X