300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone read/seen anything about those white officers

that got fired and accused the black mayor of racism? Apparently all the investigations have backed them up as well. I saw it on Fox News yesterday but I can't find anything on the web about it.
    Future Farva

Originally posted by JeffroPoPo
    that got fired and accused the black mayor of racism? Apparently all the investigations have backed them up as well. I saw it on Fox News yesterday but I can't find anything on the web about it.
    Do you recall what city?

Comment

I don't remember what city but I'm 99.9% certain it was in Ohio. But it was on Fox News, so it wasn't some local thing I was watching.

Apparently, these officers just did stuff not too flagrant, like one got in 2 minor crashes in a years span. The black chief suggested disciplining them, but the mayor wanted to fire them, and I guess she harassed the chief so much that he quit. Then she fired them. And they have evidence of other black officers doing the same things they got fired for and only getting disciplined. I don't know everything about it, that's what I recall hearing inbetween sets when I saw it at the weight room.
      Future Farva

Comment

I don't remember what city but I'm 99.9% certain it was in Ohio. But it was on Fox News, so it wasn't some local thing I was watching.
        I just did a search on news articles from Officer.com for as many relevant keywords as I could think of, and didn't find anything like what you're looking for.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Damn, it was a pretty good story too. Mayor kinda reminded me of McKinney, with her wide eyes. I'll keep on looking.
          Future Farva

Comment

Was it this one?

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...e/14918802.htm

Posted on Wed, Jun. 28, 2006

Justice Department investigates village in discrimination case
            Associated Press
            WOODMERE, Ohio - The U.S. Justice Department is investigating officials in this predominantly black village for refusing to settle a discrimination case brought by two fired white police officers.

Officers Amy Mengay and Timothy Ellis say they were dismissed in 2004 because they are white, and that the village retained black officers with similar or more serious infractions on their records.

Most of the village council members are black, as is the mayor.

Mayor Yolanda Broadie and Law Director Janet Beck on Tuesday confirmed the Justice Department probe, which comes a year after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ruled that the officers' rights were violated and ordered the village to try to reach a settlement.

But officials from the village, about 20 miles east of Cleveland, rejected the EEOC's findings, refusing to reinstate the officers and give them back pay. The commission then referred the case to the Justice Department.

"Our opinion is the village isn't wrong," Councilman James Jordan said Tuesday.
            Federal attorneys interviewed village officials and collected public records this week, Ellis and Mengay's attorney, Avery Friedman, said.

Friedman said the village could change its mind and agree to settle with the officers, who both now work for other Cleveland-area police departments, or it could face a federal lawsuit.

"The truth is the village of Woodmere is in a world of trouble," Friedman said.
            City records indicate Mengay got into three police car accidents in the 10 months before she was fired. Two were minor parking lot accidents and she was cleared in the third.

Ellis was dismissed three months after Mengay when village officials accused him of giving false testimony in an appeal hearing for Mengay.

Officials also cited his use of a Taser gun while making an arrest during a traffic stop as a reason for his dismissal. He was later cleared of any wrongdoing in that arrest.

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com
            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

That's it! You rule.

No wonder I couldn't find it, I was searching for keywords with "racism" in it. Funny how this is "discrimination" and not the hot word.
              Future Farva

Comment

That's it! You rule.

No wonder I couldn't find it, I was searching for keywords with "racism" in it. Funny how this is "discrimination" and not the hot word.
                It is discrimination. Racism is the belief that a group is superior to another. Discrimination is the treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than merit. In this case, the officers were discriminated against. The question is was it based on racism? Perhaps. Were the officers’ rights violated? Yes. It is legal semantics.

I am an African-American police officer. I experienced verified racism and discrimination with my first PD (20 years ago). I can speak from experience and offer some insight. If the allegation is true, the village government is dead wrong and should reap the consequences.
                Last edited by Tennsix; 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                  It is legal semantics.
                  Exactly my point. It's both here, but discrimination is the "softer" word.

And I think this story shows that no one is free from discrimination, not even white males.
                  Future Farva

Comment

Exactly my point. It's both here, but discrimination is the "softer" word.

And I think this story shows that no one is free from discrimination, not even white males.
                    I agree that discrimination can be directed toward any group.

In my opinion, discrimination is a legal term, not a "softer" or PC venacular. We often interchange the two words but they have a different legal meaning, for example, battery and assault. It is perfectly legal to be a racist but it is illegal to driscriminate based on race or ethnicity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7164 users online. 256 members and 6908 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X