300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of a generation

I have had a rash of DOA calls in the past two weeks, many involving hospice patients who died at home. The vast majority have been retired military men who served in WW2. I feel like I am witness to the passing of a generation of heroes. Walking into the bedrooms of these men and seeing thier decorations and military memorabilia on the walls is sometimes awe inspiring. Of course my job is to collect information as quickly and respectfully as possible so I do not get to really absorb it all. I have a great deal of respect for history and those that made it, as well as a military background and deep respect
    for veterans.I often find myself alone with these old warriors and can not help but render them a salute in tribute. God bless them. I just needed to share that. Thank you.

Thank you. Too often young people see them totally different, and don't understand what they did. It's sad but true that many just want to sweep them under the rug and forget, opening the door for another atrocity.

Comment

quote:
      I often find myself alone with these old warriors and can not help but render them a salute in tribute. God bless them. I just needed to share that. Thank you.
      Well done, Mack.

[ 08-11-2002, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

My Dad, now 81, is a WWII veteran. He has only told us one time, many, many yars ago, when his plane was shot down in New Zealand. All survived but one, his best friend, who died in his arms. The rest made it back to the American side but spent days in interrogation so they could ascertain they were who they said that were.
        As he has aged, he refused to speak of it at all.
        For Christmas, my neice gave him 2 pictures beautifully restored. One was of him in uniform and it looked exactly like my son. The other was of him and his friend that died. My Dad saw the picture and got up and walked way into the woods where we saw him hunched over crying.
        My neice was so upset, thinking she had upset him but we all knew just to leave him alone.
        We went back in the house and he eventually came back where he hugged my neice tearfully and then said, "Now, shere's my pumpkin pie?" to break the ice.
        No one knows what he and so many like him saw over there. But it's people like him, all our service men, our police officers, firemen and women and so many others people like usshould be grateful to that we are free in this world.
        My Dad is a fine man and I bet I was a pain in the butt to him growing up. lol (Hush up, Mike) But I'm glad to say I have a Dad who helped to see that we can all live our own lives free in this world.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5576 users online. 363 members and 5213 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X