Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Chicago Cops Terminated for Cowardice...(unreal!)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Chicago Cops Terminated for Cowardice...(unreal!)

To have 3 cowardly cops all on the same call?! My heart goes out with the one who was left to fend for himself, thank God he was not hurt. I'm assuming the CPD has lowered it's qualifications to bottom of the barrel levels if this is the type of "cop" they're getting.

What say you?

Here's the story...

The Chicago Sun-Times
    Copyright 2006 Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

Three Chicago Police officers ran away when a fellow officer was struggling for his life with an armed man in a Dominick's store on the South Side, officials said Wednesday.

Two of the fleeing officers were about 10 months into their 18-month probationary period before they could have become full-fledged officers with union benefits.

Those female officers -- called PPOs in cop parlance -- have been fired by police Supt. Phil Cline.

"After reviewing the evidence, it was clear to me that the two PPOs didn't do what they were trained to do, and they put the officer in peril," Cline said.

A third male officer, whose probation ended about three months ago, faces a departmental investigation and possible termination, too.

CAPTURED ON SECURITY CAMERA

Cline can fire probationary officers at will, but full-fledged officers have extensive due-process rights.

The incident was captured on a Dominick's security camera and was reviewed by department officials.

The videotape may be used to show recruits at the police academy what officers should never do.

But recruits also could learn from the heroic performance of the officer who struggled alone with the gunman, sources said.

It is very unusual for officers -- whether they are probationary or full time -- to face disciplinary action for cowardice, sources said.

But such allegations are almost never captured on videotape, they said.

The four Grand Crossing District officers were responding to a shoplifting call at 10:30 p.m. on June 3 at a Dominick's in the 2100 block of East 71st.

James King, 47, of Park Forest, started fighting in the store with a male officer who was trying to arrest him for sneaking out with stolen goods, police said. The officer had one handcuff on King when he struggled to break free, police said.

King removed a 9mm pistol from his pants pocket and pointed the weapon at the officer, who then fatally shot King, officials said. An investigation found that the officer, who has been on the force about four years, had followed department rules on using deadly force. The department did not identify that officer.

NOT WHAT COPS ARE TRAINED TO DO

Assistant Deputy Supt. Matthew Tobias, who runs the Police Department's training academy, would not discuss the incident.

But he spoke generally about what officers are trained to do.

"When they have the means to take appropriate action, they are not taught to turn their back and run away," Tobias said.

"If you have the means and knowledge to protect citizens or other officers, you are expected to take action -- and will be held accountable when you do not take action."
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

I say how can a deparment possibly know how someone will react in that situation via testing?

You think the suburbs don't have any cowardly cops who couldn't take the heat of stopping hard core gang bangers on a regular basis and people who challenge them daily? They go on and on because they are not put in a situation whereby they are challenged effectively.

Suburban officers can hide a WHOLE lot easier because for the most part they work by themselves and other officers don't see them perform as much as when one works with another officer regularly.

Bottom of the barrel has NOTHING to do with it. You can't possibly know what you are going to get sometimes and how people will react.

It's just unfortunate that 3 of them found themselves on the same call.

Comment

good riddence, academy space taken up by these cowards
      and good people turned away.
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

There is already a thread about this:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49254

Comment

Hmm, maybe we should be putting more capital in a military background vs. the current push to hire college grads.............
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by NavyCop
            There is already a thread about this:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49254

Oops...thanks Navy...sorry about that fellas.
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
              I say how can a deparment possibly know how someone will react in that situation via testing?

You think the suburbs don't have any cowardly cops who couldn't take the heat of stopping hard core gang bangers on a regular basis and people who challenge them daily? They go on and on because they are not put in a situation whereby they are challenged effectively.

Suburban officers can hide a WHOLE lot easier because for the most part they work by themselves and other officers don't see them perform as much as when one works with another officer regularly.

Bottom of the barrel has NOTHING to do with it. You can't possibly know what you are going to get sometimes and how people will react.

It's just unfortunate that 3 of them found themselves on the same call.
              A coward is a coward, be they in the city or in the sticks. Bottom of the barrel recruiting and training has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Have you been through a police academy? If not what is your basis of knowledge on this subject?
              Last edited by BrickCop; 06-24-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry folks, but in my humble opinion, the abolishment of weight and height requirements in police work nationwide has spawned this monstor. There was a day and time when physical size and physical ability was a part of the law enforcement hiring process. But that's gone forever. Except in small counties where sheriffs still recognize the need for it. In the last sheriff's office I worked at, the sheriff refused to hire small people weighing 110 pounds soaking wet.

I sure would like to see pictures of these 3 cowards. It possibly might confirm my opinion above.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                  Hmm, maybe we should be putting more capital in a military background vs. the current push to hire college grads.............
                  I'll buy that one.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                    I'm sorry folks, but in my humble opinion, the abolishment of weight and height requirements in police work nationwide has spawned this monstor. There was a day and time when physical size and physical ability was a part of the law enforcement hiring process. But that's gone forever. Except in small counties where sheriffs still recognize the need for it. In the last sheriff's office I worked at, the sheriff refused to hire small people weighing 110 pounds soaking wet.

I sure would like to see pictures of these 3 cowards. It possibly might confirm my opinion above.

Have to agree with SHERIFF on this one. For anyone to run and hide in this profession is unexcusable. Don't get me wrong theres a difference in tactical advantages of retreat, but when a fellow LEO is taking a beating to run is the most unforgivable and down right dispicable (sp) thing I can think of.
                    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I would like to know what went into the decission making porocess that made they react as they did.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                        A coward is a coward, be they in the city or in the sticks. Bottom of the barrel recruiting and training has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Have you been through a police academy? If not what is your basis of knowledge on this subject?

I have been through 2 academies, a correctional officer's academy and Criminal Investigator training.

Been a P.O. a C.O. and A Detective. So yes, I do have so basis of knowledge.

You actually think you can pick cowards out by competitive testing?

I don't.

We can just agree to disagree, because competitive testing is not a crystal ball.
                        Last edited by SeVere; 06-24-2006, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I dont think its a matter of even being a cop with this situation...I think that most of you would agree with me when I say that I would have helped anyone in that situation, LEO or not...Imagine one of your buddies in just a stupid bar fight, look how most of us react to that...to think that these, and I think coward is an understatement, three LEO's just ran, blows my mind...It even makes me a little nervous, Im sure there are more people getting through the academy with the same mind set as these pieces of ****...I just want to say, that if any of us get the oppurtunity to work along side each other, I know I will never turn my back on one of you, and Im sure that 99% of you feel the same way that I do....****, Im ****ed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop

He's verified on another site......and he works for the PD in question....I would think he has some insight to what is going on there.....but that's just me.....

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                              I'm sorry folks, but in my humble opinion, the abolishment of weight and height requirements in police work nationwide has spawned this monstor.
                              I've seen/know big guys that were cowards.....so...it's not a size thing.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7169 users online. 418 members and 6751 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X