300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple truth .....

Just something to think about. It's no secret, it is obvious to anyone who pays attention.

As you can see from a simple reading of some of the threads, past and present, here on these boards and others, there is a certain portion of the law enforcement community that considers itself as being above the law. Some will extend that past simple infractions to include crimes and DUI when pressed on the issue. They say they are the only ones who care about each other, that they are hated by the public they serve. They often use the rationalization that back up may not show up next time if they deviate from this belief or practice.

You can also see that there are those who don't look at the issue in the same view. They consider themselves bound by the same laws they are entrusted to enforce across the board, they don't fear a lack of backup because they know thier buddies well enough to know they will be there in 100% support. They believe that the vast majority of thier community does in fact, like and respect them as judged by thier constant interaction with that community in which they live, both in thier professional capacity and as just another interactive member of that community. They count many occupations among thier close friends.

There are sworn law enforcement officers (deputys, police officers, troopers, etc ...) all across this country that look at these issues from all points in between the two extremes. There are officers who darn near can walk on water, and there are those long overdue for a lengthy prison stay.
    They are out there on the streets and highways everyday.

"Now, go do the right thing."
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
    Just something to think about. It's no secret, it is obvious to anyone who pays attention.

As you can see from a simple reading of some of the threads, past and present, here on these boards and others, there is a certain portion of the law enforcement community that considers itself as being above the law. Some will extend that past simple infractions to include crimes and DUI when pressed on the issue. They say they are the only ones who care about each other, that they are hated by the public they serve. They often use the rationalization that back up may not show up next time if they deviate from this belief or practice.

You can also see that there are those who don't look at the issue in the same view. They consider themselves bound by the same laws they are entrusted to enforce across the board, they don't fear a lack of backup because they know thier buddies well enough to know they will be there in 100% support. They believe that the vast majority of thier community does in fact, like and respect them as judged by thier constant interaction with that community in which they live, both in thier professional capacity and as just another interactive member of that community. They count many occupations among thier close friends.

There are sworn law enforcement officers (deputys, police officers, troopers, etc ...) all across this country that look at these issues from all points in between the two extremes. There are officers who darn near can walk on water, and there are those long overdue for a lengthy prison stay.

Arent you afraid that your Robert Mitchum avatar encourages smoking?

Comment

Excellent statement. I am proud to know to which of these groups you and I, belong.
      10-4. Get some, t150 Super Trooper!
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I agree with the your statements t150.
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

So, do you believe that you "darn near can walk on water?" And, those that don't believe in writing other cops tickets belong in prison? I don't see any correlation between perceived community support and professional courtesy; please explain.

Honestly, I can't believe you felt the need to raise this issue again. Oh well, here we go again...

Comment

For a long time I was led to believe that I was the only person on earth who felt so strongly about the exact things you have just said above. Excellent post. And full of truth, as sad as it may be.

Comment

t150,
              Very well thought out statement. Although, in 99.9% of the cases I won't write another cop for a traffic offense (within reason-110/35 is not reasonable). I don't think that it's a "we're above the law" thing. If you've every recieved a cite before you became an officer-did you learn anything from it? Does a cite "teach" anything? Personally-I think not. Well....you learn where not to speed.
              As far as DWI/DUI, that's a whole different animal. But I'm a little more forgiving than some. Cop or not, I'll try and get them a ride home in some cases. I guess I've become cynical about the "justice" system when it comes to DWI. From the time of the initial stop to end of report is a minimum of 4 hours out of service-not including all of the court dates/DA meetings/etc. that you'll have to get OT for. I don't know...the DWI laws are so polluted by case law that al of it should be thrown in the trash and start over, IMO. But that will never happen.
              The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
              Ronald Reagan

Comment

Uh huh. I guess someone had better inform Trooper Jose Burgos that he will not be receiving the Scumbag of the Year award, after all. According to you, his action was exemplary.

Because no-one is "above the law". Not even a cop who infringes the speeding regulations to get to his cop son, who is dying on a hospital bed, following a car crash.

Maybe you need to lighten up a little, officer.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with t150vsuptpr.

From the perspective of a citizen, this is the attitude and the value system we want, need and respect in our law enforcement officers. We understand that our officer's have the power of discretion, but we hope that the discretion that they use is fair and reasonable, not just to other officers but also to us.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceBitten
                    I couldn't agree more with t150vsuptpr.

From the perspective of a citizen, this is the attitude and the value system we want, need and respect in our law enforcement officers. We understand that our officer's have the power of discretion, but we hope that the discretion that they use is fair and reasonable, not just to other officers but also to us.
                    That's the trouble with this thread. I don't see any room for that most essential item in the police officer's arsenal. Discretion. This guy's made discretion look like corruption.

Cops are no robots. What makes a cop a good cop is his or her ability to use discretion, not to hand out traffic tickets or arrest AT ALL TIMES, regardless of circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Banterboy
                      That's the trouble with this thread. I don't see any room for that most essential item in the police officer's arsenal. Discretion. This guy's made discretion look like corruption.

Cops are no robots. What makes a cop a good cop is his or her ability to use discretion, not to hand out traffic tickets or arrest AT ALL TIMES, regardless of circumstances.
                      But that's the beauty of 'discretion'--one can use it when they want to or need to depending upon the situation at hand.

What other officers are getting their panties in a bunch over is the fact that an officer decided to use his power of discretion when dealing with another officer. They all may have an opinion on how that particular matter SHOULD have been handled, but unless they were the officer there, at that time, under those circumstances, with whatever knowledge or information that officer had....they really can't question his 'discretion'.

On an added note--and I hate to pull that thread over to this one....here in Michigan a citizen can compel an officer to cite another driver for driving offenses. Ie, a citizen sees another driver speeding and/or driving wrecklessly; that citizen can file a complaint, the officer can cite the driver and they end up in court. It is decided by a judge. (We have a grouchy old lady in a nearby town who makes it a habit to play 'traffic cop by proxy'--she will have people cited for merely excellerating while passing her. The officer's from the Sheriff's department that worked out of that town HAD to cite. She had a right to do that.) Now--looking at the other thread and knowing that a citizen made it a point to call the 'speeding and wreckless' driver in to the FHP--how do we know that once the officer stopped that car--he was obligated to cite because the citizen compelled him to do so? While the officer ticketed may have felt that it was unfair--due to the extreme circumstances, the Trooper covered his butt, the agency's butt was covered and the citizen's right to file a complaint was covered. When it goes to (or went to court)--the circumstances for the speeding and wrecklessness may be a mitigating factor...the ticket could be dropped. So why all the hoopla? I don't see that LT. here complaining....I also don't see Trooper B. here to defend his actions. So, as long as the principal players in that scenario are NOT here---nobody has anything to say.

But that's just my opinion as a lowly scumbag citizen.
                      Last edited by OnceBitten; 06-21-2006, 06:17 AM.

Comment

An emphatic plus 1
                        Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by OnceBitten
                          I don't see that LT. here complaining....I also don't see Trooper B. here to defend his actions. So, as long as the principal players in that scenario are NOT here---nobody has anything to say.

But that's just my opinion as a lowly scumbag citizen.
                          First off, you are not a lowly scumbag citizen. You are a fine-looking American woman.

Secondly, this is a forum. If people post on a forum it is because they have something to say. They have an opinion on a subject and they are entitled to air that opinion.

It is not necessary for the 'principle players', as you put it, to say anything on this website. If that were an essential precondition to discussions, we would not be discussing anything. This website would not exist.

I still love you.

Comment

Last edited by ; 12-10-2006, 10:55 AM.

Comment

First off, you are not a lowly scumbag citizen. You are a fine-looking American woman.

Secondly, this is a forum. If people post on a forum it is because they have something to say. They have an opinion on a subject and they are entitled to air that opinion.

It is not necessary for the 'principle players', as you put it, to say anything on this website. If that were an essential precondition to discussions, we would not be discussing anything. This website would not exist.

I still love you.

Okay now that you've embarrassed me.............. LOL!

While this site is open and being the type of forums they are--opinions are the basis of these forums...there is a difference between an attack and an opinion. An opinion is a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof or a judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert. The only way that anyone here could have 'expert knowledge' is if they were directly involved in the event. Otherwise, it's just a belief based upon their own ideas/ideals....it doesn't make them right or wrong. But making it a point to make derrogatory remarks about someone who isn't here to defend themself is disrespectful (both to the person being attacked and the site), immature, weird, and cowardly. Maybe I was brought up in a different generation or with a different code of ethics and honor--but I if I can't say it to a person's face--I won't say it at all. If a person isn't there to defend themself--I'm a jerk if I use that opportunity to crucify them. Bottom line--I never let my mouth write a check that my *** can't cash!

Yeah--I still love you too....butonlythismuch---> -

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1574 users online. 122 members and 1452 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X