300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Serious are These to You?

I am seeking a seat in the Wyoming State Legislature. In my campaign, as a retired troop, you can imagine where I come down on DWUI. I am planning on introducing two bills the folks sem excited about:

One, would make first offense sexual assault of a child, 35 years hard deck minimum, to life.

The other would make first offense DWUI mandatory 30 days minimum in jail and a $5,000 fine. Second offense would be a felony, with one to ten years, with one year hard deck minimum sentence.

Question - how serious are these to you? You all know the death and destruction it causes - one innocent motorist killed every 8 hours in America from a duece.

As to child rape, I think we'd all agree on this one. Or...not?

I'd appreciate your thoughts here.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Well, I'm not a constituent of your state, let alone country. Suffice it to say, that I'd be delighted to see such punishments for said offenses here in Canada. I pray the day will eventually come when Canada's judicial system isn't weak, or favoured towards the criminals. (Who, but the scumbag gives a CRAP about deadtime?!?!)

Comment

You have my vote on both, but you'll never get that kind of DUI penalty to pass. Too many drunk politicians. That's why the penalties aren't already worse than they are. Unless you can get the rest of the political seats in your state filled with ex-cops, good luck on that one.
      ---
      Vice President of McBling...

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
        One, would make first offense sexual assault of a child, 35 years hard deck minimum, to life.

The other would make first offense DWUI mandatory 30 days minimum in jail and a $5,000 fine. Second offense would be a felony, with one to ten years, with one year hard deck minimum sentence.

I am in total agreement about the sexual assualt of a child. There should not be any second chances for predators like that. The only problem I see with getting that passed is the people who feel the person can be rehabilitated. Ya know, the "this person has a disease" crowd. I'll bet you they wouldn't be saying that if it was thier own child.

On the DWUI, I would make sense to do that, it will at least curb some of the drinking and driving problems. Wisconsin, for example is far to lenient with drinking and driving. It really irratates me when guys are being arrested with 5 or 6 OWI convictions. Obviously they haven't learn from the relatively small fines or short stays in county lockup. A harsher first offense penalty might do some good.

Good luck.

Comment

I am seeking a seat in the Wyoming State Legislature. In my campaign, as a retired troop, you can imagine where I come down on DWUI. I am planning on introducing two bills the folks sem excited about:

Question - how serious are these to you? You all know the death and destruction it causes - one innocent motorist killed every 8 hours in America from a duece.

Trooper, I completely agree with the sexual assault of a child penalty you present... This is definitely an offense where the offender knows that his/her actions are wrong and morally offensive to society at the very least. I say throw away the key!!

As for the DUI... Well, I don't like drunk driving in any way, have lost a few close friends myself to the DD offender. However, I think that this offense is one where someone inexperienced can sort of "walk into it" without having a complete disregard for the public safety, or truly comprehending the potential hazards. Hence I think a first offense should be the wake-up call and not be so severe... I think it should be required that offenders of a First Offense here spend the 30 days having the possible but terrible ramifications of their actions presented in an intense education program. $5k fine, maybe a little too steep for first offense also...

After the first offense though, SLAM 'EM, NO questions, if's, and's or but's... This crap of DWUI offenders getting "slapped" 5 or 6 times before they actually get nailed is for the birds. I also believe that if the DWUI results in the bodily injury or death of another, it doesn't matter whether it is the first offense or not... Felony is the only way to go!!

Just my 2 cents worth...

Comment

I would say 30 days for the second offense, unless of course injury/homicide by vehicle/DUI is involved. As mentioned, jailing someone for a first offense (barring the above aggravated circumstances) is going to be a hard bill to pass. However, hit 'em where it hurts the first time, and that's in the pocketbook.
            Last edited by Gil; 06-19-2006, 12:34 PM.
            "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

Im with you, DWUI and sexual assult people need to understand its no joke. we have too many dwui's can you also add a 2 year ban for driving on the 1st offense for the dwui
              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Gil
                I would say 30 days for the second offense, unless of course injury/homicide by vehicle/DUI is involved. As mentioned, jailing someone for a first offense (barring the above aggravated circumstances) is going to be a hard bill to pass. However, hit 'em where it hurts the first time, and that's in the pocketbook.

what if they were drunk and passed out by the time you arrest them, could you scare him by saying they caused a deadly accident(when they wake up)? give them some time to see the hurt and add some pics. maybe after a couple hours tell them the truth and let them reflect on what they could have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Banterboy
                  DWUI? I just don't know, buddy. This could result in a lot of cops getting into trouble with the law.

Child rape? Ditto.
                  Someone just found their way onto my distinguished, yet short, ignore list. Enjoy your stay. Also reported for anti-cop sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Soon2Be
                    Someone just found their way onto my distinguished, yet short, ignore list. Enjoy your stay. Also reported for anti-cop sentiment.
                    it says on his profile he is a cop.

Comment

I don't believe everything I see on the internet.

Insinuating that a lot of cops DWI and rape kids? Are you f-ing kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by Soon2Be
                        "Ditto."

Whether a bad attempt at humor, or a slam on cops, I don't need to hear that kind of garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5
                          what if they were drunk and passed out by the time you arrest them, could you scare him by saying they caused a deadly accident(when they wake up)? give them some time to see the hurt and add some pics. maybe after a couple hours tell them the truth and let them reflect on what they could have done.
                          Lot of "what if's"
                          "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

Mandatory 30 days on the first offense seems a little harsh to me, as does the $5,000 fine. I'm very much anti-DWI, but I think it's very possible for an otherwise law-abiding citizen to misjudge his level of impairment. Also, big fines for something like this are unfair; to some people such a fine would be an annoyance, while for others it would ruin their lives. Let's not create legislation that allows the rich to buy their way out of trouble.

I think DWI laws, and enforcement, is one of the things that Virginia has gotten right. We have stepped up the mandatory, minimum penalties on high-BAC and repeat offender DWI's. We have also made provisions for jail time on refusals for those who have DWI-related convictions.

I'm not sure if this is actually legislated, or if it's just the court's standard practice here: Typical first offense DWI results in 30 days in jail, but 29 days are suspended, contingent upon the offender keeping the peace and being of good behavior. They also have to attend classes, get a restricted license, etc. Seems to be a good deterrent. I don't have stats to back it up, but it seems to me that DWI accidents/arrests/convictions have decreased significantly during the last couple years here.

I like the 35 year penalty for the child molesters. One thing that I'd like to add would be some provision that puts them on intensive probation for life, and any suspicious activity directed toward children (i.e. offering candy, asking them for help with something) would be a one-way ticket back to the slammer. Obviously, the wording would need some tweaking, but I think you get the jist.

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5
                              it says on his profile he is a cop.

Last week it didn't. How's it going Hogboy?
                              They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2177 users online. 87 members and 2090 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X