Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20/20 news special (what cops dont want you to know)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20/20 news special (what cops dont want you to know)

20/20 just ran a news story called "what cops dont want you to know"

Anyone else see this garbage...
    Retired 02/01/13

Originally posted by bigcop97

No.Would you like to tell us about it??
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Do tell. It airing again?
      shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2087123&page=1

theres the story.

Comment

I am not even sure if it is even garbage. The fact is knowing the law and your constitutional rights isn't garbage. What is garbage is being ignorant of the law and your rights as a civilian.

In the article however, the parents of the children were dumb enough to not even check on the minors and to see what they were doing; any responsible parents would do so. So they shot themselves in the foot basically; again their ignorance costed them both in parenting and of the law.

Moral of the story, ignorance is not an excuse and LE will use that ignorance against you.

Originally posted by bigcop97

Comment

Last edited by ; 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

point blank if oyu dont put your self in harms way, your not gonna have probles.

Yes its smart to know your rights and the laws. THe intemadation that SOME cops use....
              but jsut follow the law and your not going to have a problem to worry about
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

how in heaven's name do you not realize that a "small alcohol free party" has grown by "dozens?" they deaf?
                shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

I don't really agree with the exclusionary rule though. There should be some other way to sanction the cops when they do an unconstitutional search or seizure. Why should the bad guy be released or the evidence excluded because the cops screwed up? That's not punishing the cops. They still get paid the same, right? That's only hurting society. In the case of an improper search or seizure, the offending officer should be forced to buy the bad guy and his family lunch, and call it even, then send the case to trial with the improperly seized evidence intact.
                  If I remember correctly, in England there is no exclusionary rule. The remedy for a false or improper search is strictly civil.

I agree too. Child molestors, drug kingpins and rapists should not walk because of a technicality.

With that said, there would have to be some remedy. Otherwise, police could do whatever they want, and while I'm part of the big machine, I would not want to live in a police state.

However, all of our lawmakers are lawyers so the exclusionary rule will be here to stay.
                  In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.
                  -Winston Churchill

Comment

This is the USA. Living here come with both rights and responsibilities. As an LEO I am all for the exclusionary rule. Otherwise, there are many other LEO's who would totally ignore the US Constitution to make a case. Of course if you don't like the rule, you could go to many other countries such as the former Soviet Union or Mexico. From what I hear, officer there don't play by many rules at all.

God Bless the USA.
                    "They keep creating new ways of celebrating mediocrity" - Mr. Incredible

The future is not some place we are going,
                    it is one we are creating.
                    The paths are not to be found,
                    they are to be made.
                    And the activity of making them
                    changes both the creator,
                    and the destination.

Comment

The thing is though some of the officers who did enter the house did not have permission or a warrent, which they need, unless they saw something life threatening. Anyway I think the case went to court and ruled in favor of the officers.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheNumbers
                        This is the USA. Living here come with both rights and responsibilities. As an LEO I am all for the exclusionary rule. Otherwise, there are many other LEO's who would totally ignore the US Constitution to make a case. Of course if you don't like the rule, you could go to many other countries such as the former Soviet Union or Mexico. From what I hear, officer there don't play by many rules at all.

God Bless the USA.
                        well said.

Comment

Hi all,

The parents let the LEOs in their home. In most court cases I have studied, the state supreme courts have ruled that allowing LEOs into your home is an implied consent to search. So from allowing the LEOs into your home, and it came up in court, the LEOs or ADA could argue they were allowed in the home therefore, the parents gave consent. So the LEOs are well within their rights to search. There is no gray area here.

Bottom line from my paralegal classes at least from what the attornies told us and whats in the books, if you don't want LEOs snooping around:

- do not allow LEO inside your house, this is equal to non-consent search
                          - talk to LEOs outside your house
                          - if the LEOs say they can get a warrant, fine let them get the warrant until than they are not allowed into your home
                          - contact an attorney ASAP, however, good luck on finding one at 11pm at night!

If it came out in court that the parents said no to allowing the LEOs into their home and the LEOs came in anyway, anything from that search is illegal.

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                          There should be some other way to sanction the cops when they do an unconstitutional search or seizure. .......
                          Trust me on this, LEOs do get into trouble when they do something such as an illegal search. Especially when the press gets a hold of it. However, what bothers me most is that when murderers, rapists, molesters, etc. get off on technicalities. Especially when they are caught red handed!!! Errrrr. . . it urks me so bad!

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                          Even if they refused consent and the cops forced their way in, the police should still be able to use what they saw against them.
                          You may think so, but not according 4th Amendment which protects you from "unreasonable searches and seizures."

Rule of thumb, this goes for everyone, know the law, ignorance of it is no excuse!
                          Last edited by Raiden; 06-17-2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Sounds to me like the parents had a sudden change of story once they realized that they'd been busted -- if they're willing to spend $100k to defend themselves, they're pretty desperate. Gotta love that what they learned from the incident: don't cooperate with or trust the police. They didn't learn anything about hosting underage parties, or monitoring your child's "alcohol-free" party more closely. Sound like some real pillars of the community.

Gotta love the former NYPD guy for bringing up the topic of cooperation on a DWI stop. Oh, well -- hopefully it will result in more refusals, and streamline my DWI arrests.

Comment

haha

what cops dont want you to know...

...when the hot-n-fresh light is schedualed to come on at krispy kream.

super secret cop s***. Shhh.
                              "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1847 users online. 146 members and 1701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X