X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wcp107
    Forum Member
    • May 2006

impersonations

so question, in various states what are the offenses for impersonation of a police officer ?

here in utah it is only a misdermeanor as the following news clipping states,

A 22-year-old man has been arrested and charged with impersonating a West Valley City police officer

how often does this happen in your home state ?
  • Tennsix
    No Longer Active
    • Aug 2004

It is a felony in Indiana. Occasionally, the news will report such an incident. It usually involves a vehicle with unauthorized emergency lights.

Comment

• SHERIFF
      • Jan 2004

It's a misdemeanor in Virginia too. While there are random reports of police impersonation occasionally, most of them in fact aren't. Several examples come to mind below.....

1- A girl in Waynesboro, Virginia is stopped for reckless driving. The Virginia State Trooper making the stop lets her go with a warning, because he's actually out of his assigned area and doesn't want to drive back for court. The girl tells her father about it. The father contacts the local police who take the report as a police impersonator. The trooper reads about it it the newspaper and calls the police department up and tells them it was him. Just a comedy of errors. Everybody looking for a "police impersonator".

2- Virginia State Police Arson investigator gets called out one night to the scene of a crime 40 or 50 miles away. He has to pass through several counties to get to the scene. In one county a cop spots him running fast and running blue lights in his unmarked car. The cop realizes it is not a car owned by his county and assumes it is a "police impersonator." A pursuit starts. They never catch the trooper who had no idea they were even pursuing him in the first place. This case was a "police impersonator" for about 10 minutes. But it was solved when I called the state police and told them what was going on. I knew the arson investigator had been dispatched and was passing through the county. The state police called the county and told them it was in fact one of their troopers passing through their county. Another comedy of errors.

3-Another comedy of errors....

Comment

• malka881
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2006

In Illinois it's a class four felony.
        They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

• pkagel
          SoCal Expatriate
          • Jun 2004

Texas
          37.11 Impersonating public servant 3rd deg Felony

(1) impersonates a public servant w/ intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely on his pretended official acts

(2) knowingly purports to exercise any function of a public servant or of a public office, including that of a judge & court, & the position or office through which he purports to exercise a function of a public servant or public office has no lawful existence.

California

146a(b) Federal Misdemeanor

Impersonating a public officer Any person who falsely represents him/herself to be a public officer, investigator or inspector in any state dept who arrests, detains, threatens, or obtains money or some form of value or otherwise intimidates any person or threaten to arrest/detain/search any person, building or other property of any person or obtain money, property or other thing of value.

538d Fraudulent Impersonation of a peace officer Misdemeanor

♦Any person other than a peace officer who wears, exhibits or uses the authorized uniform, badge, insignia, ect. ♦W/ the intent of fraudulently impersonating a peace officer.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

• VA Dutch
            Former Deputy Sheriff
            • Feb 2006

Prince William County, VA

I know exactly where Hoadly Road is - between Manassas & Woodbridge. Prince William County officers use a lot of unmarked cars in that area - including Camaros. It is not far-fetched that someone would think they were being pulled over by a "fake" cop; especially if the cop car is not a Crown Vic. Anyway, that is a great road for speeding. While it may be posted at 45 mph, it is so wide-open and there are so few traffic lights that most people go a lot faster.

But anyway, impersonating a police officer or deputy sheriff is a Class I Misdemeanor in VA.........if memory serves me correctly. Certainly, an unauthorized blue light could bring an equipment violation as well.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

• badboyzinblue
              Forum Member
              • May 2006

California: Misdemeanor, becomes a felony when you start arresting people or taking bribes...lol....some idiot did it.

Comment

• Dog Boy
                Hardened Road Criminal
                • May 2006

...I don't know the law in CT about that one, but once years ago a guy pulled over my wife and I when she was driving...it was just some car flashing it's lights...I was ****ed at her for stopping...

...it was some punk kid...he wanted to see her papers...I asked to see his credentials...he didn't even have a fake badge...I didn't shoot his stupid ***, but I convinced my stupid wife to just leave...

...the moron started chasing after us...fish-wife got all upset, so I advised her to just head for the cop shop and see what happens...the moron followed us almost all the way untill he finaly twigged what we were doing and peeled off...

...by then I had a good description of him and his vehicle and his plate #...

...as we were so close to the staion and fish-wife was so upset, we reported the incident and the cops quickly bagged him...

..wtf is with that behavior anyway...???...the stupid fish wife would have handed him her papers...
                ...Know Fear...

Comment

• LRGguy
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2006

Why would you wanna pull a vehicle that was running with emergency equipments on because that's not your county's car unless they're committing criminal act? There are tons of law enforcement agencies out there LOL

Comment

• AlmostaLEO
                    A little here & there
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Dog Boy
                    ...I don't know the law in CT about that one, but once years ago a guy pulled over my wife and I when she was driving...it was just some car flashing it's lights...I was ****ed at her for stopping...

...it was some punk kid...he wanted to see her papers...I asked to see his credentials...he didn't even have a fake badge...I didn't shoot his stupid ***, but I convinced my stupid wife to just leave...

...the moron started chasing after us...fish-wife got all upset, so I advised her to just head for the cop shop and see what happens...the moron followed us almost all the way untill he finaly twigged what we were doing and peeled off...

...by then I had a good description of him and his vehicle and his plate #...

...as we were so close to the staion and fish-wife was so upset, we reported the incident and the cops quickly bagged him...

..wtf is with that behavior anyway...???...the stupid fish wife would have handed him her papers...
                    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a fish wife? First I've heard of it. Thanks for tolerating my dumb question.
                    Sworn on September 22, 2010

Comment

• mustanginky
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2007

In KY it's a Class D felony. there's a media attention grabbing case in Louisville right now.

Comment

• VA Dutch
                        Former Deputy Sheriff
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by AlmostaLEO
                        Pardon my ignorance, but what is a fish wife? First I've heard of it. Thanks for tolerating my dumb question.

My guess might be that he was married to a mermaid.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
                          One Night In Bangkok
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LRGguy
                          Why would you wanna pull a vehicle that was running with emergency equipments on because that's not your county's car unless they're committing criminal act? There are tons of law enforcement agencies out there LOL
                          What is with you bringing up 3-4 year old threads.
                          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• jamesrm
                            Forum Member
                            • Jun 2007

Tennessee -

9-16-301. Criminal impersonation. —
                            (a) A person commits criminal impersonation who, with intent to injure or defraud another person:

(1) Assumes a false identity;
                            (2) Pretends to be a representative of some person or organization;
                            (3) Pretends to be an officer or employee of the government; or
                            (4) Pretends to have a handicap or disability.

(b) A person commits criminal impersonation who pretends to be a law enforcement officer for the purpose of:
                            (1) Engaging in an activity that is ordinarily and customarily an activity established by law as a law enforcement activity; and
                            (2) Causing another to believe that the person is a law enforcement officer.

(c) (1) Criminal impersonation under subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor. However, if the criminal impersonation was committed to falsely obtain a driver license or photo identification license, the maximum fine of five hundred dollars ($500) shall be imposed.

(2) Criminal impersonation under subsection (b) is a Class A misdemeanor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18880 users online. 28 members and 18852 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...