X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N R A - Police

NRA Wants Gun Pledge From Police, Mayors
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:06 PM EDT

MILWAUKEE -- Alarmed by the way authorities confiscated guns in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, the National Rifle Association called on all police chiefs and mayors Thursday to sign a pledge that they will never forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens.

"Mayors and police chiefs have already sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States in their oaths of office. So signing this pledge should be just as effortless," NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre said a day before the group opens its annual convention in Milwaukee.

The nation's most powerful gun lobbying group also said it would support state and federal legislation making it a crime to forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens.

"We need this legislation because Katrina blew a hole in the Constitution that will continue to hemorrhage until we stop it," said Chris W. Cox, an NRA lobbyist.

After Katrina hit New Orleans, police and soldiers confiscated guns from some evacuees and removed them from homes. The police said that they took only guns that had been stolen or found in abandoned homes.

In April, police began returning some of the weapons after being sued by the NRA and other groups. They claimed the confiscations took away people's means of protection amid the lawlessness that broke out in the storm's aftermath.

A spokeswoman for the New Orleans Police Department said its current superintendent, Warren Riley, was not available for comment Thursday on the NRA's campaign.

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the issue a "a non-problem in America."

"For the NRA to be waving their arms and screaming that the people are about to have their firearms taken away, it's sheer nonsense," he said.

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the issue a "a non-problem in America."

Yeah, to him it is a "non-problem" because it is not his right that is being violated. Duh! The biggest "problem" he has is the Second Amendment itself, and he & others of his ilk will not rest until only criminals have firearms.

"For the NRA to be waving their arms and screaming that the people are about to have their firearms taken away, it's sheer nonsense," he said.

Well, not really there Einstein. It has already happened and will happen again unless those in charge are stopped. Jeez!

Thanks for the post, Sheriff.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

What most people don't realize is that the government won't take away our firearms in deft motion. They'll keep adding more and more restrictions until the shoe finally hits the floor.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper."

Granted during Bush's term as president I think that day is further away than I did with Clinton in office, but it's still bound happen. Our government won't be able to rule us until takes away our weapons.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I used to think my Dad was crazy for wanting to burry some of his guns in the backyard. Now I understand why.

Comment

I'm not going to swear an oath to the NRA. Who do they think they are, asking me to swear anything to them.

The oath I took to the governor will suffice nicely, thank you.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I think its a meaningless step.

People who will obey orders to disarm citizens will "obey orders".

Those who won't, will obey orders but not find any guns.

Comment

Let me fix the above quote for everybody (changes in brackets [] ):

"For the [Brady Campaign] to be waving their arms and screaming that the [law-abiding citizens] are about to [turn into insane murderers], it's sheer nonsense," he said.

Comment

Well stated, sir!!!!

"Only criminals and tyrants fear armed, law-abiding citizens." -- R. Wayne LaPierre

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                  NRA Wants Gun Pledge From Police, Mayors
                  Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:06 PM EDT

MILWAUKEE -- Alarmed by the way authorities confiscated guns in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, the National Rifle Association called on all police chiefs and mayors Thursday to sign a pledge that they will never forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens.

"Mayors and police chiefs have already sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States in their oaths of office. So signing this pledge should be just as effortless," NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre said a day before the group opens its annual convention in Milwaukee.

The nation's most powerful gun lobbying group also said it would support state and federal legislation making it a crime to forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens.

"We need this legislation because Katrina blew a hole in the Constitution that will continue to hemorrhage until we stop it," said Chris W. Cox, an NRA lobbyist.

After Katrina hit New Orleans, police and soldiers confiscated guns from some evacuees and removed them from homes. The police said that they took only guns that had been stolen or found in abandoned homes.

In April, police began returning some of the weapons after being sued by the NRA and other groups. They claimed the confiscations took away people's means of protection amid the lawlessness that broke out in the storm's aftermath.

A spokeswoman for the New Orleans Police Department said its current superintendent, Warren Riley, was not available for comment Thursday on the NRA's campaign.

So who do you support?
                  Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                  between you
                  and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Kelly,

I suppose the folks we should "support" are those few who will actually honor their oath of office - to defend & uphold the United States Constitution. Of course, part of that includes our Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment.

Far too often, our elitist politicians find ways of 'inventing' things/rights that are not anywhere in the Constitution.....while ignoring what has been contained within it all along.

Comment

NRAin't

Y'know, as much as I support the armed citizen and the right to own as many different guns as you can afford, I've about had enough of the NRA. I surrendered my lifetime membership back when W#1 did, when the NRA president made those anti-cop comments about "Jack Booted Thugs" etc.. Their all or nothing extremism did it. That was then end for me.

Not that anyone asked!
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

NRAin't here too.

What did it for me was their opposition (20 years ago or so) to legislation that banned teflon-coated (cop-killer) bullets, the only purpose of which is to penetrate body armour.
                        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

1. The "jack-booted thug" comment has often been taken out of context, but look at what happened to some poor, innocent folks in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. They had their weapons confiscated by "jack booted" officers (some of whom may or may not have been thugs, but were acting like thuggish) who left them defenseless.

2. I became an NRA member after the "Teflon Bullet" argument was raging, and know that the NRA has repeatedly claimed that no officer has ever been killed by a 'cop killer' bullet. If memory serves me correctly, the NRA was basing their opposition on the 'slippery slope' argument that nearly any round could be determined by some politician to be "armor-piercing" and subject to outright bans in many places. Some rounds will penetrate body armor just by nature of their size and speed.

The ultimate goal of the anti-gun folks, of course, is to ban certain types of ammo and then certain types of guns......with an incremental approach towards disarming the public a little at a time.

3. This "cop killer bullet" argument reminds me of how the anti-gun folks distort what is an 'assault weapon' and what is not. Most of those who want to ban them don't even know what they are! Their hatred of weapons typically involve it being 'mean-looking' or 'military-style' - more than its ballistics.

4. The NRA has always been very pro-police and they favor crime control -- not false 'gun control' laws that never seem to affect criminals who disobey the laws anyhow. The NRA has put forth plenty of its own money to both educate and train law enforcement officers and to educate young kids about the dangers of finding a firearm and playing with or touching it (Eddie Eagle). This program has been shown to reduce gun-related accidents, since most of the kids who go through the short program know not to touch a gun they may find.

The NRA has also been funding programs that actually do something to reduce violent crime. CrimeStrike and Project Exile are just two of them I can think of right now. The gun-haters who oppose the NRA typically offer nothing but more anti-Second-Amendment laws that do nothing but disarm ordinary citizens (their true ultimate goal) and make everyone more dependent upon government to protect them.

Okay, end of my soapbox rant for now.

Comment

I don't try to argue with other verifieds, but....

I'm not going to swear an oath to the NRA. Who do they think they are, asking me to swear anything to them?

The oath I took to the governor will suffice nicely, thank you.

I think what the NRA is saying is that the governors swear to up-hold the constitution. You know- the Second Amendment.

We are Police Officers. When- and if- I get an order to do something that violates a federal, state, or city law, I’m probably not going to follow it. That’s all the NRA is asking the governors to reaffirm. Don’t violate our rights.

NRAin't here too.

What did it for me was their opposition (20 years ago or so) to legislation that banned teflon-coated (cop-killer) bullets, the only purpose of which is to penetrate body armour.

The whole teflon bullet thing was the biggest hype I have ever watched play out. There are a lot of bullets that will penetrate a vest. I obviously won’t list them here. It would just give the Brady Bunch another issue to argue about. But, I’ve got a sh$tload of different bullets that will go through the vest I wear. You know what. I’m not overly worried about the fact there are some of them on the market. Any rifle round will likely go through the vest I wear. The whole teflon thing was truly “hype” and brought to the forefront by anti-gunners.

Everybody say it with me- “anti-gunners”.

They are bad people.
                            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

For some reason, I couldn't post the rest-

(continued rant on anti-gunners)

They want to take your guns,

They know the police can’t protect you (that statement is based on both federal and [many] state laws).

Looking at the last statement- They don’t care.

They want you to be a “sheep” (meanwhile they have enough money to pay for armed security guards to protect them and their family [case-in-point, Rosie of talk show fame is a extreme anti-gunner, but she hires armed security to watch over her and her kids] How does that work out).

Looking at the last statement- Anti-gunners don’t care about you. They fear the armed civilian.

I actually fear police officers that think it's okay to take guns from law-abiding civilians and I'm a police officer. I have to ask myself- if that's okay, when will they come for mine?
                              "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4321 users online. 269 members and 4052 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X