300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a WIN/WIN situation?

One of the trailer parks in my town is comprised of mostly Hispanics. NONE of the officers in my department speak Spanish fluently, and the only dispatcher that was bilingual transferred to an adjoining agency.

I know enough Spanish to 'get myself into trouble', but I DO make an effort to communicate with the people in this trailer park when I cruise through it.

Saturday afternoon, as I was making my rounds through this trailer park, I noticed a new family had moved in, complete with 4 of the cutest little girls(3-4 years old) you would ever wish to see. The look of surprise in their eyes, AND their mom's(?), when I spoke to them in Spanish was almost priceless. What WAS priceless was the looks on their faces, AND their mom's(?), when this POLICE officer produced a Tootsie Pop for each of them.

So, what did this jesture of mine accomplish? Who knows? But it sure was nice having little kids run TOWARDS my POLICE car, rather than run away from it, as some little kids have been conditioned by their parents to do.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

That's wonderful Shooter, One more step for man/police kind. I am trying to learn more spanish too. I have a wonderful time talking to people in sign-language and i imagine this will help in the event i get to become a police officer.

Comment

There is a large influx of Hispanics living in my are also. I studied Spanish in college and though I cannot speak fluently, can speak it pretty well.

Comment

I used to visit 5 students a month at home. THey were always amazed as were their parents. It gave me the chance to see their surroundings and meet their parents. They loved it and it was invaluable to me.

Comment

O'siyo,

That is proactive problem solving! One of the best ways and the most positive is to learn how to greet the older grandmothers in spanish. And then, when circumstances permit to do so in the proper manner. LEO who do that will find it makes the job easier when dealing with that neighborhood.

Good job Shooter.

Jim Burnes

Comment

careful shooter,

you will give us a bad name with liberals, lefties and do-gooders.

( it costs nothing to smile or be nice )

Comment

Hearts and Minds definately the way to go!

------------------
              'British by Birth, English by the grace of God!'
              "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

The biggest mistake I ever made was studying two languages (German & Spanish). I should have studied one and only one language.

Whenever I try to speak Spanish to a Hispanic, I always interject German words (which confuses them even more because my Spanish sucks).

Sometimes I'll end up speaking English, Spanish and German in one swoop. Talk about confusion!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4061 users online. 294 members and 3767 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X