X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore's Finest

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9229472/detail.html

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore City police arrested a Virginia couple over the weekend after they asked an officer for directions.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins said Joshua Kelly and Llara Brook, of Chantilly, Va., got lost leaving an Orioles game on Saturday. Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions .

"In jail for eight hours -- sleeping on a concrete floor next to a toilet," Kelly said.

"It was a nightmare," Brook said. "I was in there thinking I was just dreaming and waiting to wake up."

Collins reported it was a nightmare ending to a nearly perfect day. He said the couple went to a company picnic and watched the Orioles beat Kansas City. It was their first trip to Camden Yards and asked two people for directions to Interstate 95 South when they left.

Collins said somehow they ended up in the Cherry Hill section of south Baltimore. Hopelessly lost, relief melted away concerns after they spotted a police vehicle.

"I said, 'Thank goodness, could you please get us to 95?" Kelly said.

"The first thing that she said to us was no -- you just ran that stop sign, pull over," Brook said. "It wasn't a big deal. We'll pay the stop sign violation, but can we have directions?"

"What she said was 'You found your own way in here, you can find your own way out.'" Kelly said.

Collins said the couple spotted another police vehicle and flagged that officer down for directions. But Officer Natalie Preston, a six-year veteran of the force, intervened.

"That really threw us for a loop when she stepped in between our cars," Kelly said. "(She) said my partner is not going to step in front of me and tell you directions if I'm not."

Collins reported the circumstances got worse. Kelly pulled 40 feet forward parking next to a curb and put his flashers on while Brook was on the phone to her father hoping he could help her with directions. Both her parents are police officers in the Harrisburg, Pa., area.

"(Brook's father) was in the middle of giving us directions when the officer screeched up behind us and got out of the car and asked me to step out. I obeyed," Kelly said. "I obeyed everything -- stepped out of the car, put my hands behind my back, and the next thing I know, I was getting arrested for trespassing."

"By this time, I was completely in tears," Brook said. "I said, 'Ma'am, you know, we just need your help. We are not trying to cause you any trouble. I'm not leaving him here.' What she did was walk over to my side of the car and said, 'Ok, we are taking you downtown, too.'"

Collins said the couple was released from jail without being charged with anything. Brook is now concerned the arrest may complicate a criminal background check she's going through in her job as a child care worker.

Collins said police left Kelly's car unlocked and the windows down at the impound lot. He reported a cell phone charger, pair of sunglasses and 20 CDs were stolen.

Baltimore City police said they are looking into the incident.

You gotta love it!

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
      You gotta love it!
      I think leaving the car's windows opened in the impound lot, and having 20 CDs and other items stolen qualifies as the proverbial "insult to injury."

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey
        I think leaving the car's windows opened in the impound lot, and having 20 CDs and other items stolen qualifies as the proverbial "insult to injury."
        If the news report is even close to being the truth, they will be well rewarded in the end.

I just can't figure out why this took place.

Comment

OMFG!!!! I missed this sentence the first time I read the article.

Collins said the couple was released from jail without being charged with anything.

Comment

For those of you not familiar with the area, if you are leaving the stadium and make a wrong turn, it is very easy to get lost. Once you stray away from the area a little bit, you are in the middle of row houses and every street looks the same and it is easy to get turned around. If I got lost where they were I would run a stop sign to get help from police as well. It is a drug infested neighborhood (like 75% of the city). If the story is close to being true it wouldn't surprise me. It is common for people in the city to be locked up and not be charged. I am not sure if they flat out don't know the law or if it is because they get away with things like this frequently. I am not trying to bash the department, they have a lot of good people but they also have a lot of officers that I wouldn't want on my side. Baltimore is very "anti-police" and incidents like this do not help. I hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better. They are going to need a change in leadership (including chief, mayor, city council) for things to get better.
            "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Overhaul

Baltimore city cops ned a complete overhaul starting with policies and leadership and working their way down. We're a pretty screwed-up town...
              mattph4716, whereabouts in town do you live? I'm on the Baltimore side of Brooklyn, within walking distance to Harbor and Southern.
              Everything has a price. And you don't always get to choose whether you want to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by JaeAngelline
                Baltimore city cops ned a complete overhaul starting with policies and leadership and working their way down. We're a pretty screwed-up town....
                I have reason to believe you're probably correct.
                I'm dealing with what I think is one of their rejects now.

Comment

The Baltimore thing reminds me of an incident my brother had with a stolen red motorcycle. He lived up in PA at the time and his bike was stolen. They found it six months later, beat up and spray-painted black. It was used for drug-running in the crack neighborhood and had been wrecked and abandoned by a thug who was being pursued by police.

He had to fill out forms, drive down there to get it, pay $25 to park his car and was given the bike - in parts - to be taken home with him. On the phone, he told them that they could keep it or throw it in the trash, but the bureaucrat on the other end told him that he had to come and get it or face a $500 fine and lose his driver's license. During the whole ordeal, they treated him as though he were the criminal.

No wonder so many of our metro areas have become nothing but third-world shiite holes that make the Bronx look like a nice town.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
                    I hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better. They are going to need a change in leadership (including chief, mayor, city council) for things to get better.
                    Every time I think it can't get any worse, it does. Due to O'Malley's policies, the department keeps getting worse and worse.

O'Malley is a micromanager in every sense of the word. After the fiascos that were Norris and Clark as his chiefs, he put in a figurehead. Anyone that thinks Hamm is running the show is gravely mistaken, every decision is the mayor's.

I originally applied to BPD and got hired by another agency before my BPD process was finished. In hindsight, I'm very glad due to what has happened there. BPD was a great department that has severely declined over a very short period of time. Thankfully there are still some very good officers there that can hopefully save a sinking ship before it's too late.

On a side note, a lot of the "abated by arrest" situations or released without charge, are not neccessarily a matter of lack of probable cause or bad policing. Most are minor arrests such as loitering, trespassing, disorderly conduct and open containers where a criminal citation could have been issued and probably should have been issued. Many are arrested as a result of not having the required identification needed for an officer to issue a citation in lieu of arrest. Many are people in need of jail as a citation would not be a deterrent.

In addition, the Baltimore State's Attorneys office is under a great deal of pressure from Patricia Jessamy to reduce the huge dockets in the City court's. If a case is weak, it's dismissed at CBIF prior to it going to court. Many arrests where citations could have been issued in lieu of arrest are dismissed as well since they consider 24 hours in that hole punishment enough.
                    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

The Wire is a pretty cool show

Comment

I don't think it's at all funny what happened to that couple - if indeed the media report is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Soon2Be
                          I don't think it's at all funny what happened to that couple - if indeed the media report is true.
                          The whacky officer should be arrested.

Comment

Baltimore

Micromanagement has never been an efficient way to run even a small business, much less a police department for an entire city. There are good officers in the BCPD, but they tend to be outweighed and overshadowed by the administration's fallacies and weaknesses, and also by the corrupt cops who tip the scale the other way.
                            I had to call the police out last night because my van got hit out in front of my place by a driver who had no license (and is insisting that we not go through the insurance companies.) The two-way traffic didn't part for her, even when she flashed her lights...and two of the neighborhood youths spit at her cruiser. I felt so bad for her. it doesn't make me any the less determined to join the police force, but I wondered if, when I joined and I got a take-home cruiser, what's going to happen to my car out in front of my house?And what sort of harassment am I going to come up against for being an Asian cop in the middle of a mostly black/hispanic neighborhood? Will these people stoop to threatening my husband and my kids for my career choice? Threats against me I can handle, but against them...I don't know.
                            And then early this morning an officer from the county came to my work (I work nights at a convenience store that sits on the county/city line) and talked to me. Long and short of it is, the county has a considerable Asian population, and there are places where their officers can't go because their officers are mostly white and black. They have 0 Asians and only a few Hispanics. The fact that I look very young is also a plus; there are teen clubs their officers can't get into but that I could. Basically, they're actively trying to recruit me into the county.
                            I don't know what I want to do now. Baltimore needs good cops, regardless of age, race, or gender (although female Asian cops seem to be an incredible rarity no matter where in the state you go.). But according to the guy I spoke to last night, the county needs me because I can make a difference where they can't. My whole point to becoming a cop is so I can do something meaningful, make a difference in people's lives, and I can do that in both places..but if I work in the City, there's a chance that I may not get the opportunities to do so if I get buried in crap.
                            I don't want to be given a pass into the county cops because of my race and gender and looks; I want to make my own way on merit, on whether I honestly passed the tests, both physical and written and whatever, rather than on 'well, she's what we need, hire her'.
                            As LEO's, and if any of you are in a position to make those sorts of decisions, would something like this influence your decision? And if it does, would that mean I'm morally obligated (to my own conviction) to not apply for the county? I don't know how this works...and I'm still a year (or more) away from actually being able to apply, so this is all just advance speculation...but I'd rather start to deal with my issues now.
                            Everything has a price. And you don't always get to choose whether you want to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by JaeAngelline
                              There are good officers in the BCPD, but they tend to be outweighed and overshadowed by.... the corrupt cops who tip the scale the other way.

Surely you jest?

My uncle, his children, and his grandchildren live in Baltimore. They have told me some pretty far fetched tales about simple encounters with Baltimore police officers. I never for one minute believed most of the tales, but my mind can be changed. And it has been changed by this interaction between the cop who not only refused to help two citizens, but looked for an excuse to arrest them out of ill will and spite.

If the event is true I would like to see a videotape of it. It would probably be as interesting as the Oklahoma trooper videotape.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5334 users online. 376 members and 4958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X