300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troopers / Highway Patrol

I decided to put this subject in this area so citizens and civilians can chime in if they would like to.

In my state, the Virginia State Police is generally viewed as the most professional law enforcement agency in the state. They're not just speeding ticket writers like everybody thinks. They do everything from litter enforcement to homicides, rape investigations, terrorist activity investigations, arson, etc.... They are the best of the best. The elite in Virginia law enforcement. They will be the first to prosecute a bad apple within their own ranks when they discover one, they do not under any circumstances cover up for their own. No way, just doesn't happen. Most sheriff's deputies can only dream of getting on with the Virginia State Police, most never achieve this dream. Most city and county police officers dream of being accepted with the Virginia State Police too, but most never make it. I personally know of about a dozen kids in my area that have achieved the dream though. One of the most recent was a fine deputy from Greene County, Virginia, a good boy. They have countless applications from city and county police officers both statewide and nationwide that they have turned down for one reason or another.

The question is this.... is it the same way with your State Police departments or Highway Patrol? For the civilians, if you could pick and choose where to enter the law enforcement profession, would you prefer your State Police or Highway Patrol?

Here in PA the State Police are the Highway Patrol and they also provide primary law enforcement for towns that do not have thier own Police.

Growing up in Philadelphia I thought Philadelphia Highway Patrol was the best of the best. Crushed caps, leggins/Boots and Leather jackets

The PSP were relatively unkown to me until I "grew up".

If I was ever going to go into LE I would look at the State Police. You just have so many more opprotunities for career advancement. If you just want to do Highway work you can do that. Narcotics, SWAT (CERT), Clandestine lab, Aviation, Internet Crimes, you name a specialty and they have it. Pay rate and benefits are good but no take homes except for sergeant & above (unless on a quick turn around between shifts).

As far as local Police I have to mention Bensalem (Bucks Co, PA). The officers there seem to be well trained, courteous and very aggressive when it comes to catching bad guys. Plus lots of uniform choices, and at least a few officers have take home cars.

For me, PSP, Bensalem PD & Philadelphia PD. (Then again I realized at 17 I don't have the attitude to be a LEO)

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/

http://www.bensalem-township.net/departments/police/

http://www.ppdonline.org/
    Last edited by Operator13; 05-15-2006, 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
    09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

I've always thought very highly of the WI State Patrol. Even before I got into LE I always thought so. I've yet to see a dirty WSP crown vic, during the winter some of the city squads around here look like they ran through a mud and salt factory. Very professional and helpful. When I was a CSO I was working a 10-50 and just happened to tell the trooper doing the accident I was going to take the test. He got my badge number from me and the next day I had a folder full of test info and study guides in my mailbox at the station! made my day

Working for them would be great too, they have the run of the mill of their area and sometimes come into the city. Plus they are the only WI agency with planes too bad thousands apply for them every go. . . but i'll keep trying even after I get on with a PD

Gotta love the paint job Oh ya and one of the few WI agencies left that give you a one on one
      Last edited by Staubb00; 05-15-2006, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever seen a Virginia State Police car dirty. Even after snow storms and salt they must head straight for the car wash.

And I am the type of person who would notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Operator13
          Here in PA the State Police .... no take homes except for sergeant & above (unless on a quick turn around between shifts).

I sure didn't see that one coming. That's strange for a state police organization.

Comment

Take home cars

Originally posted by SHERIFF
            I sure didn't see that one coming. That's strange for a state police organization.
            If they have 8 hours or less between shifts they take a car home. Otherwise its Sgt's & above. The only exception I know of is CERT. I know there are PSP Trooopers that come here so they may know of other units/specialties that get them.

Bensalem PD has at least 2-3 that I know of but I'm not sure what the requirements are, they seem to be P/Os with lots of years on.

I used to have a friend with Phila Highway Patrol - his take home was a Harley motor. At the time I was about 17 & was shocked to see it in his garage. That was cool as ****! I think there they give them to the two senior P/Os on each squad but I could be mistaken.
            "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
            09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

Every contact I've had with a CHP officer has left me with the impression that they are a professional organization. Of course I could say the same for almost every local PD officer or SO deputy I've had reason to contact or interact with.

I am in the application process with the CHP because as I've said, they seem like a professional agency and the work interests me. I am however applying with some local agencies as well.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The Mississippi Highway Patrol is a very professional agency. There duties are primarly traffic related,the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is staffed by Troopers. They are one of the only agencies in this state to operate an Air Support Divison.I'm hopeing to be a State Trooper in the near future.

Heres some pictures of some MHP units.

Comment

FHP, at least in S. FL is not viewed as you have all posted about your state police agencies. They are mostly known for doing nothing but traffic. I have been told this varies as you get into northern FL.
                  In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                    In my state, the Virginia State Police is generally viewed as the most professional law enforcement agency in the state.
                    Maybe down there in Virginia, but certainly not up here inside the beltway, in the Great State of Northern Virginia!!

We are light years ahead of VSP in equipment, technology, education, and common sense. In NOVA, VSP are traffic cops.
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

In Arkansas, the state police is viewed more so as fancy dressed ticket meters.

I know the local department here isn't too impressed with the State police, as if you put them in any other situation other than writing a citation then they become in a confused state.

Broke down on the side of the highway? Good luck. Doing 10 over? Hey Mr Trooper.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman
                        Maybe down there in Virginia, but certainly not up here inside the beltway, in the Great State of Northern Virginia!!

We are light years ahead of VSP in equipment, technology, education, and common sense. In NOVA, VSP are traffic cops.
                        You say "traffic cops" as though you feel that is somehow a rung down. Do you?
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
                          In Arkansas, the state police is viewed more so as fancy dressed ticket meters.
                          Hmm. The whole state views them that way, do they?

I know the local department here isn't too impressed with the State police, as if you put them in any other situation other than writing a citation then they become in a confused state.
                          Really. Hmm. How so?

Broke down on the side of the highway? Good luck. Doing 10 over? Hey Mr Trooper.
                          Hey Mr. Trooper, what?
                          The All New
                          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I used to always think the MSP did nothing but traffic on the highway. Living in a highly populated local city I never saw them on the main roads, just the highways. One I became an Officer I have worked with them on a number of occasions and they impress me everytime. These guys and girls, are great cops with exceptional training. If I had to do it over again, it would be the only agency I would apply for.

As far as take home cars, to the best of my knowledge our troopers dont get take homes. I could be wrong, perhaps a trooper will stumble their way in here and shine some more light on that. But like I said, I dont belive they get take homes, Honestly, I cant think of a single agency in MI that has take homes.
                            Last edited by Prangler; 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I view the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) (which I believe is the equivalent to state trooper) as top-notch. It's the service I've chosen to apply to, and am currently in the background process with.

There's many reasons why I've chosen them, but as an organization the attitude matches mine the closest. I've met several people before I made my final decision, and can say that those are my type of people!

There is a misconception that the OPP only does highway patrol here in Ontario, but many people don't realize how many municipal contracts the OPP has, especially in the smaller towns/rural Ontario.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4881 users online. 327 members and 4554 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X