300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's One that Really Happened

A lady calls 911 screaming for help. Something garbled about a knife and a man. The line goes dead.

You pull up and quietly approach the home, listening. You hear a screaming woman, the door bursts open and an elderly man runs out covered in blood and holding a butcher knife. He sees you and runs directly at you.

He is 20 feet away. You have two seconds to decide. What do you do?

This really happened to me. The whole story after a few of you take a try at this one.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

From the nature of the call and the surrounding environment, the distance that the subject is closing, and a true identification of what he had in his hands, I know most will say draw out and fire. We've been trained that a subject with a knife, 21 feet away, can get to you before you're able to draw your weapon out. The 21 foot rule. If you articulated the subject was approaching towards you aggressively, or in a manner in which was threatening to you or others, with the knife in a ready position, draw out and fire.

I have a feeling there is more to what occured and it was more complicated than just making a quick decision like that. I'm interested to hear what took place.
    "Can't make 'em speed Captain" - SuperTroopers

Comment

Perhaps the elderly man is not the bad guy and may have also been a victim who successfully disarmed the perp. You might not know that coming on the scene, however.

Perhaps a tactical retreat would be in order. Drop back a few yards, draw your service weapon and yell for the man to drop the knife. Once he knows you mean business, he'll comply if he is not the bad guy. Of course, you will want backup to be there pronto!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

This is where the taser is nice.
        "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I agree with VA. Draw your weapon while doing a tactical retreat to put some distance between you and the perp. I think possibly the fact that this is an elderly individual may play into it too. Not to say they don't pose a risk and can't cover that 21 foot barrier before you can draw your weapon, but if they cleary are aged and not moving all that fast, I see no reason to immediately react with deadly force.
          sigpic

Comment

Don't take a tazer to a deadly force situation!!!

I'd say since the call went out that a knife was involved you broke leather before you even got your feet on the ground. Hopefully the car is between you and the suspect, if not, get something between the two of you while screaming to drop the knife while taking up the slack on the trigger. If their is no immediate ceasing of the aggression then drop the hammer and write a good report.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Goes to tactics. One of the reasons that I carry my taser weak hand draw is for ease of transition. Yeah, leather is broke, but if time/space dictate and I can make the transition without exposing myself then the taser is the ideal option. If time/space do not permit then buh bye.
              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Taser would be ideal, if only I had one issued to me.
                "Can't make 'em speed Captain" - SuperTroopers

Comment

...........deleted.............
                  Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-03-2006, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                    A lady calls 911 screaming for help. Something garbled about a knife and a man. The line goes dead.

You pull up and quietly approach the home, listening. You hear a screaming woman, the door bursts open and an elderly man runs out covered in blood and holding a butcher knife. He sees you and runs directly at you.

He is 20 feet away. You have two seconds to decide. What do you do?

This really happened to me. The whole story after a few of you take a try at this one.
                    Taser. And hope he lives .

It's normal to run TO the police when upset and/or in shock. And just because he has a knife and blood doesn't mean he is the one who was doing the cutting. The cutter may already have left, even though the woman is still screaming.

Comment

I'm on the edge of my seat. What happened, 1042??

Comment

Is this for civilians only, too?
                        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                          Taser. And hope he lives .

It's normal to run TO the police when upset and/or in shock. And just because he has a knife and blood doesn't mean he is the one who was doing the cutting. The cutter may already have left, even though the woman is still screaming.

Yeah,but is that something you are willing to bet YOUR life on,that he is not the cutter.Remember Columbine,the kid running toward the SWAT team,they didn't know if the kid was the aggressor either.
                          FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                            Don't take a tazer to a deadly force situation!!!

I'd say since the call went out that a knife was involved you broke leather before you even got your feet on the ground. Hopefully the car is between you and the suspect, if not, get something between the two of you while screaming to drop the knife while taking up the slack on the trigger. If their is no immediate ceasing of the aggression then drop the hammer and write a good report.
                            Good post.

Never draw the taser in a deadly force situation unless there is a cover officer with firearm. That is asking for a funeral. Sorry, Bodie, that is basic knowledge for a street cop. Tasers only fire one time without a reload, and a long reload to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                              Is this for civilians only, too?
                              Naw - I tried that on the last one and lost control.
                              Just be nice to the "real people" if they get it wrong

Anyway, all can take a try
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8148 users online. 440 members and 7708 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X