Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime set to go up in Texas Sept. 1

http://web.star-telegram.com/content...TemplateID.htm

The vehicle flew past the police officer's squad car at a high rate of speed -- well in excess of the posted limit. Darkly tinted windows kept the officer from seeing who was driving, but no matter. He switched on the light bar and pulled the car over.

As the officer approached the driver's side door, the dark window rolled down and an irate woman yelled at him.

"You only pulled me over because I'm black," the woman shouted.

The officer came to a dead stop. He leaned toward the car, told the woman to have a nice day and returned to his car.

Welcome to De-policing 2001. Expect to hear more about it as law enforcement agencies in Texas begin their experiment in combating "racial profiling" on Sept. 1. That's when the new statute goes into effect requiring officers to collect information about the people they stop -- in a car or on foot -- in the course of their duties. And they must record this information whether they make an arrest, write a citation or let the person go.

The data they gather -- including the gender and race or ethnicity of the individual stopped, the suspected offense, whether a search was conducted with or without the detainee's consent -- "shall not constitute prima facie evidence of racial profiling," so sayeth the law.

Oh, really? Tell that to the officers who are going to have to participate in this ridiculous exercise of political correctness.

It was a presumption of wrongdoing that propelled this legislation to the fore in the first place. Why, everyone `knows' that cops are racist so-and-so's, but the evidence was only anecdotal. With this new reporting system, the proof finally will be in hand.

Not prima facie evidence? Give me a break. That's exactly how it will be used by special-interest groups with axes to grind against law enforcement. Which is why I predict that municipalities across the state will see a drop in the number of officer-initiated citizen contacts in the months to come.

One Fort Worth police officer explained his reaction to the statute thusly: "Unless I'm specifically dispatched to a call, I'm not getting involved in anything unless my life or a life of a fellow officer is in jeopardy. I don't need to be labeled a racist just for doing my job."

De-policing, or abstaining from active policing efforts unless answering an assigned call, is not without precedent. After high-profile cases involving law enforcement officers that are tinged with racial undercurrents -- think New York City's Amadou Diallo or Cincinnati's Timothy Thomas -- officers pull back.

Who needs that hassle of being called a racist, put before a review board and investigated for possible civil rights violations for doing your job? Find a place to hole up until you get a specific call from dispatch.

The results of de-policing, at least in Cincinnati, are told in the crime statistics. Traffic stops were down 55 percent and arrests decreased by half in the three months since the April riots that occurred after a police shooting of an unarmed 19-year-old black man.

Shootings were up. According to the Cincinnati Police Department, the city logged 59 incidents involving 77 victims, compared with nine incidents involving 11 victims during the same three-month period last year.

Attorney Heather Mac Donald, a John M. Olin senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, has extensively researched "racial profiling" for columns she writes for `City Journal.' For a Spring 2001 piece titled "The Myth of Racial Profiling," Mac Donald interviewed Police Chief Ed Flynn of Arlington County, Va., about his department's response to requests from residents in the black community to step up drug enforcement.

"They instituted aggressive motor-vehicle checks throughout the problem neighborhood. Cracked windshield, too-dark windows, expired tags, driving too fast? You're getting stopped and questioned," Mac Donald wrote.

"By the end of the summer, the department had cleaned up the crime hot spots. Community newsletters thanked the cops for breaking up the dealing. But guess what? Says Flynn: `We had also just generated a lot of data showing "disproportionate" minority arrests.' The irony, in Flynn's view, is acute. `We are responding to heartfelt demands for increased police presence,' he says. `But this places police departments in the position of producing data at the community's behest that can be used against them.' "

Yup, this racial profiling law is a peach of an idea. Beginning Sept. 1, when you ask the question, "Where's a cop when you need one?" the answer will likely be, "Laying low -- making sure he isn't doing anything that will get him labeled a racist."

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: Mike Sullivan ]

That's frightening. And it could happen anywhere. Where does it leave the rest of us? I feel nothing but respect and sympathy for all officers because they are also caught in the middle. The only winners are the criminals.

Comment

I can see this happening in the UK. It's worrying.

The attitude over here is growing. Too many 'racist' accusations and anti-police media will certainly bring about de-policing in the UK, and I know of several places where it is unofficially practised already.
      'Trust no-one'

Comment

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if someone got stopped and they were white, and they complained that the only reason they got stopped was that they were white? And then got an attorney...? (Theme from the twilight zone playing)

Comment

I agree.. and as sour as it may sound...sometimes you just got to believe that the truth will prevail. Getting there may be a struggle but worth the effort of not giving up or in!

Comment

I guess it's because we are not under the same kind of microscope up here in Canada as are the American Peace Officers.
            I say, "Go ahead and do your job, with the best of intentions and probable causes, documenting everything you do and why you did it, with the understanding that you will be scrutinized closely until the correctness of what you do is crystal clear to anyone who cares to look".
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

They have blacks brain washed into blaming whitey for everything that goes wrong for them. I am so sick of it I could puke! This is supposed to be a melting pot but if we keep up these leftist ideas we will have to have a seperate nation for each race.
              BTW don't think the political powers will sacrifice officers at the alter of public opinion. If you have to shoot a black and he was reaching for something that you thought was a gun... they will burn you in a heart beat if they find you have stopped a majority of blacks. Mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by RT:
                "...but if we keep up these leftist ideas we will have to have a seperate nation for each race."
                Gee, that almost sounds like Canada. Everyone here is Italian-Canadian, Chinese-Canadian, Scotch-Canadian....even if they were born here. I actually prefer your method. If you want to live here, you become Canadian first. If you want to retain your country's name....STAY there!
                Copper2be

Comment

Originally posted by Copper2be:

If you want to retain your country's name....STAY there!

O'siyo Copper2Be,

Oh, we've tried that approach, but ever
                  since 1492 those europeans just keep on a'coming!

Now, they call themselves native! Rude, ennit?

Jim Burnes

Comment

I swear you really crack me up sometimes Jim. Point taken.
                    Copper2be

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. I adding it to my website where I keep a collection of articles on the subject (and others). www.larrynevers.com .

Comment

The only people that will be hurt by the racial profiling legislation that was passed will be the people that was intended to " protect ". Already a great number of officers that I work with are talking about being " Tourists in blue."

Why would I stop someone when I know that all they have to do is scream racial profiling and get an IAD going. Even IAD's that prove to be baseless are not fun to endure. Whats worse, you still get a control number in your package whether or not the complaint is unfounded. I know that I don't need anymore control numbers in my package.

Upholding the law is a great ideal. But when the ideal is tarnished by a concept put into law that makes upholding the law subject to a person's race, that is wrong. Racial profiling is wrong. The legislation meant to defeat racial profiling is wrong too. I never jailed someone based on their race. I will never condone jailing someone because their race.

This legislation cheapens all police officers. It makes us all out as bigots that act solely on prejudices. Nothing could be further from the truth. I firmly believe that nearly each and every police officer in Texas and the United States does their job fairly and impartially. It is the few idiots that need to be delt with. There are numerous laws and SOP's already available to deal with them. Political correctness has way overstepped its bounds with this legislation.
                        RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

I don't want to get going on the culture war here but I am reading an interesting book "The New Americans". It is all about our culture which is a melting pot of a lot of cultures. It also puts forward the premisis that it is in the best interest of any group to take on the melting pot culture. He uses the Italians of 1900 as a good example and the present day blacks.

Comment

Nor do I want to get off this topic's thread.

And I for one, am glad I'm now retired. Because it can't be satisfying to hook n book the bad guys, only to be attacked for
                            some bogus charge.

These efforts that Texas will enact will serve best the people who would not accept
                            responsibility for their own actions. That is
                            what this boils down to: The public chooses to flaunt the laws they are paying to have enforced and attacking the folks who enforce the laws.

Its crazy.

Jim Burnes

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT:
                              I don't want to get going on the culture war here

Glad to hear it because I think Mosaic culture has great benefits!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5162 users online. 319 members and 4843 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X