300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help (tech support!)

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for some tech support from anyone who, unlike me, knows what they're doing computer wise.

When I went into msconfig to disable some of the programs that are running (MSN Messenger, Weatherbug, etc.), I noticed that load= has disappeared. I know run= and load= are supposed to be there. I have never disabled it, and I'm not sure how it disappeared. I don't want to start messing with anything, because I know I'll make it worse if I do.

If I'm not making any sense, that's because I have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about - just that I know that there are certain programs that have to be running in order for your machine to run properly.

I also have a few other questions, but I'm looking for help with this matter first. So I ask you...HELP! PlEASE!

Thanks in advance.

kk

Sorry kk......all I know is how to turn the darn thing on [Frown]
    Steve

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what load=, and run= are, 'cause my version of windows (xp pro) doesn't have'm.

I will tell you this, anything that's in your start up can be disabled without causing any major problem to your computer. However, if you have a special keyboard with extra functions, or a laptop, there are programs that load on start up to ensure these operate correctly.

In short, disabling everything in your start up will most likely not do a damn thing except make your computer run smoother, and less irritably (ms messanger just ****es the bejesus out of me). It won't make your computer go boom. If anything's funky, you can just go back to msconfig and re-enable it.

by the way, disabling MSN Messanger in your msconfig.exe won't make it go away, that's a little more tricky...
      Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
      -Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not 100% computer illiterate, but I do know there are certain programs that have to run, or at least that's what Compaq told me.

As for MSN Messenger, I have uninstalled it before and am ready to do it again - the same with Yahoo Messenger, because I don't use either program anymore. They just take up space on my hard drive and desk top.

Comment

DO NOT remove RunDLL32, or SysTray.

Any others you can uncheck. If you are having a performance problem, you could deselect one at a time, reboot and see if the problem remains.

Good Luck.

BTW, what OS are you running, what machine, how much RAM?
          "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

Don't remove anything, however you can shut down things like SysTray when your defragmenting and running scandisk.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say run= or load= But if its gone and your computers not doing anything diffrently I wouldn't worry about it to much. If something does stop working then post about it and it should be easier to solve knowing what it is that is not working.
            There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5915 users online. 333 members and 5582 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X