300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Posters

Just wondering what other posters besides Copitsweet are in the Brisbane area. I'll be moving from Texas to Australia on June 1 (Mitchelton) for a period of 10 years or so. If anyone has any advice on importing my SIGs, Glocks, and 1911s, I'd appreciate it. James

All right now James,

You have the hook baited. Are you just gonna keep us danglin' or are you gonna tell us some more!

------------------
    "I'm just a "senior teen-ager!"
    6P1 (retired)
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Easy enough...I'm getting married. My fiancee has two children, and would prefer that they finish school in Australia before she comes back to Texas with me. Puts a bit of a delay on applying to the Highway Patrol, but she's well worth it.

Comment

Wow, that's neat How did you two meet?

Comment

6P1 (retired)

Comment

Sorry to tell you shooter.... you can't bring your guns.
            After you arrive and obtain the appropriate licences, there is a small possibility that you can obtain an import permit. You would be better off buying guns here. But, like I said. You have to get the appropriate licences first.
            A licence for a hand gun is not easy to get. Only category I could see you might fit in, is to join a gun club.

Comment

Rule.303 is correct. You wont be able to bring your guns in at all. I dont think you will even be able to obtain an import permit. The only way you will be able to obtain a pistol licence is to join a pistol club and you would have to leave the pistol at the club when not using it. We have fairly strict rules on the possession and owning of guns in Australia. Sorry mate.

------------------
              We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
              "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

When I got married all I had to give up was other women...

Comment

Raychel, we met about 18 months ago online. We've since spent approximately 12+ hours a day online/on the phone.
                  Re: Rule and Artie, while I may have difficulty obtaining an import permit, there is no requirement that the guns be kept at a club, if I have a safe at home and submit to random police checks (guess the added BS is worth it).

Comment

Originally posted by TxShooter:

Re: Rule and Artie, while I may have difficulty obtaining an import permit, there is no requirement that the guns be kept at a club, if I have a safe at home and submit to random police checks (guess the added BS is worth it).
                    Not necessarily... Each club has it's own different rules. Some clubs insist that new members keep their weapons at the club for the first 12 months or so. This is a condition of that club, not the law. This would mean that if you wanted to join that club and did not wish to keep your guns there, they are obligated to report the matter to police. If so, your guns would be seized for destruction, your licence revoked indefinetly and the court fine (if not jail) would see you paying thousands.
                    Having said that, not all clubs are so strict. In reference to gun safes at home, there are strict standards on the type of safe, but moreso, on the transport of the weapons too and from the club. For example, you would be committing a disqualifying offence if you stopped at the gas station on the way to the club and left your vehicle to buy some gum or a drink. Also if you were to take a detour to visit a mate. Shortest most direct route to and from is required.
                    I gave up on obtaining import licence for guns. Tried a couple years ago with no joy. I was planning on importing some old guns and rifles (pre 1900) for my collection. For me as both a police officer, firearms collector and licence holder... I was not permitted to bring them here from my last US visit.

Comment

You got TX.

You need to write to the Weapons Licencing Branch, Queensland Police Headquarters, Roma Street, Brisbane, 4001. They will send you all the info you require. But you will need to obtain a firearms licence BEFORE you try to bring into the country. You will also need to be a member of a club and have demonstrated your ability to be the owner of a firearm - and that's just a long gun. Concealable weapons have even stricter controls.

Good Luck

Raychel, we met about 18 months ago online. We've since spent approximately 12+ hours a day online/on the phone.

Comment

congrats n goodluck james we will turn you in to a good aussie sorry cant help re fire arms when you get here dont forget us blokes if you get stuck with anything just yell all the best to you n you wife to be

[This message has been edited by g***a (edited 05-22-2001).]

Comment

G'day TX
                          I didn't pick up on the below quote till later. Yup! We reckon the BS IS worth it. You are a whole lot less likely to be shot in Oz than you are in the States.

!smilyshot!

(guess the added BS is worth it).

[This message has been edited by copitsweet (edited 05-24-2001).]

Comment

Nah, I'd take my chances over the searches any day. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by copitsweet:
                              G'day TX
                              I didn't pick up on the below quote till later. Yup! We reckon the BS IS worth it. You are a whole lot less likely to be shot in Oz than you are in the States.

That is a falsehood in my opinion. The 'states' are not as violent as other countries make us out to be. That myth is perpetuated by a biased media and dishonest politicains who wish to take all our guns.

Personally I would rather have a chance to shoot back then to be a sheep herded to slaughter if and when someone starts shooting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2865 users online. 163 members and 2702 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X