300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the best of an overbearing cop

No, I'm not a troll looking to do some cop-bashing. A friend of mine just relayed a funny story to me that I thought I'd share.

Here in WI, the law states that you have to have a plate on both the front and back of your vehicle (with only a few exceptions). But many people don't bother putting on their front plate.

Now, as a cop, I will use this as probable cause to pull someone over because you never know what else you might find (especially at 2:00 a.m. on Friday night). At worst, I might give someone a written warning to have the front plate on within 5 days. I've never actually fined someone for the violation.

My friend was pulled over the other day because she didn't have the front plate on her new Subaru. The state trooper that pulled her over (they can be somewhat, ah, rigid, in their enforcement of motor vehicle laws) came to her car and the dialog went something like this:

TROOPER: The reason I pulled you over is that you don't have your front license plate attached.

FRIEND: I know, officer. I just bought the car and I can't figure out how the plate attatches to the front. There's a license plate holder but the holes don't line up.

T: I understand, ma'am. However, state law dictates that, if you're going to be driving the vehicle on the roadway, you must have the front plate attatched. I'll be issuing you a fine in the amount of $X.XX for the violation.

F: I tell you what, officer. Here's the plate. If you can show me how to attatch it to the front of my car, I'll not only pay the fine without a fight, but I'll donate twice the fine amount to the police charity of your choice.

She hands him the plate and they both walk to the front of her car.

20 minutes later, the trooper told her to drive safely...and to have her dealer replace the plate holder with one that actually fit our plates. Needless to say, she was not fined for the violation.

Anyone need a European plate holder for a 2002 Subaru?
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Sometimes I get negative comments, even from a few of my fellow cops, for writing "fix-it" tickets like these, even when the driver has a legitimate excuse for the violation (such as taking delivery of your new Subaru with the wrong-style license plate holder), or promises on their father's/mother's/grandparent's/child-who-died-at-birth's grave to correct the problem.

However, the way I look at it is that if I give a warning, the driver may correct the problem. Then again, the driver may not. That's the problem with warnings...unless you know the person, or are likely to come across him/her again, you as the officer have no guarantee that they'll keep their word.

OTOH if I give a citation for the offense, either the driver has to have the problem corrected, or face the wrath of a traffic court judge.

In CA for most "fix-it" tickets , by checking a box on the citation we can make the offense dismissable, meaning if the corrections are made the defendant only has to pay a $10 administrative fee. The only exception that I know of is for illegally tinted front windows (CVC 26708); a recently enacted law removed the ability to make this particular offense dismissable, so you have to pay the full fine (I think it's $76) even if you correct the violation.

Comment

Funny this topic comes up. We have a new officer at our department. At first he was nice enough, because he was new and wanted to learn everything and was like a sponge... its been about four months and he's out on his own. and he annoys me to all hell. (sorry sweets but your a Pr*ck Cop)
      He tells me and the others stories of how he drives around and just gets all bent out of shape and says to "his friends" that he is with at the time that.. "If I was at work, you would be arrested". He finds fault in everything... no mercy and his discretion is sofa king idiotic! Yanno... he can be a nice guy... but damn it if he aint a pr*ck and has a morons sense of humor.

I find it completely defeating the purpose of law enforcement when its a letter of the law officer. Hopefully his excitement of the new job will become desire to enforce the spirit of the law. Unfortunately, at this point I dont see it in the near future.

Sweets, if you are reading this.. I still love ya man.. but damn it... CHILL.... CHILL BABY CHILL....you cant save the world in a day.
      Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Well hopefully the "letter of the law" types grow out of it, but most don't.
        They become motorcycle cops at my agency and wear those cute little knee boots. [Wink]

Comment

Reminds me of one I dealt with in this small town I lived in. Overlooked real crimes happening right under his nose(we're talking drug activity, burglaries, drunks & drunk driving, etc.), just to chase down and make a big production out of chicken-$hit crimes like a dog running loose(or allegations of such), expired plates, burned out tail lights, kids riding their mopeds through the park, and other frivilous BS!(How does one spell C-O-W-A-R-D?).

Sneaky S.O.B. waits until I'm not home until he comes to rattle my wife about allegations of my dog running loose. I went to the PD and got all over his case! He thought he was going to put the run on me, until I told him I'd sue him if he crossed my property line again! He asked me on what grounds; I told him for harassment, and for him neglecting his own duties. I then cautioned him not to forget who he was talking to, not to think I didn't know what I was talking about, and above all, not to be a damned fool and call my bluff! Lived in the town for 2 more years; he never bothered us again. City soon realized he was worthless, and got rid of him.

Honest to Pete, there's enough that comes your way on it's own accord in the LE profession- you don't need to make things happen. And one needs to learn to concentrate on what the real problems you have to deal with are.
          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

One of the reasons why I do not bother with a lot of the "fix-it" stops, especially on the local gangbangers and dopers, is when the time comes for there to be a reason to stop them, (short term contact, etc.) I want them to still have a busted taillight, one plate, etc. so I have a 100% justifiable reason for the stop.
            "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Badgerland:
              One of the reasons why I do not bother with a lot of the "fix-it" stops, especially on the local gangbangers and dopers, is when the time comes for there to be a reason to stop them, (short term contact, etc.) I want them to still have a busted taillight, one plate, etc. so I have a 100% justifiable reason for the stop.

Yup and I don't have the spare time at work to worry about "fix it" tickets.
              Lately we are barely keeping our heads above water responding to calls.

Comment

The only exception that I know of is for illegally tinted front windows (CVC 26708); a recently enacted law removed the ability to make this particular offense dismissable, so you have to pay the full fine (I think it's $76) even if you correct the violation.

Note to self:
                Get tint prescription from doctor [Wink] Locals here won't write it but CHP loves to cite for tint.

[ 10-22-2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Bill R ]
                Bill R

Comment

"Note to self:
                  Get tint prescription from doctor"

I've thought of that myself. If I remember the California Vehicle Code section correctly, you can then only drive that car during daylight hours. If you ever drive the car at night with tinted front windows, you are still subject to a citation even if you have the note from your doctor.

Comment

Underdog is correct. Doctor prescribed front tint must be removeable and must be removed during hours of darkness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6574 users online. 370 members and 6204 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X