300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet access in jail

One of the states is in a battle with the ACLU about internet access for prisoners.

Should they be allowed to access the net? If so, what safe-guards should be in place?

Personally, I look at it as "virtual freedom" and oppose it.

Totally against it. Letting inmates have Internet access is only begging for problems, way too much freedom. How could you monitor something like that? Just look at how difficult it is for parents, or employees when it comes to web access. When is jail/prison actually going to be a punishment again? Damn, most of these people live better while being detained then they do when free.

Comment

I can see it now...

"Internet stalker stalks from jail... State sued"
      Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
      -Mark Twain

Comment

They gotta be joking who are those wankers anyway what a bunch of tossles they be, Internet Access for crims fair f*%^%% dinkum...im laughing my head of they have to be joking dont they,good one for 2003 niteshift..ok nite will pay you that one

Comment

Isn't it sad prison is no longer a punishment? I am all for no cable TV, no internet, and limited books and newspapers.
          "The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
          must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war"

--Gen Douglas MacArthur 1962

Comment

G***a, if only it were a joke. Here is a link to the story about the ACLU vs. the Arizona Dept. of Corrections:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,73313,00.html

[b]PHOENIX

Comment

I always thought inmates GAVE UP most of their rights when incarcerated. If this is pushed as a '1st Amendment' case, how long before inmates can VOTE?
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by dirtychops:
                Isn't it sad prison is no longer a punishment? I am all for no cable TV, no internet, and limited books and newspapers.

There was this whole thing on one of the CNN (or some other) channel about prisons. They didn't look fun at all. A lot of problems, stabbings etc, especially at that Pelican Bay.

I don't think internet should be allowed in prisons, except for the LE officers that work there. Now that has to be one of the worst jobs on earth. Talk about only dealing with scumbags and seeing the worst of people. I honestly don't know HOW those guys/gals do it without going nuts. One of the shows had the LE officers serving meals to the segragated prisoners, taking them to the showers, bringing them razors etc... These LE officers deserve an extra pat on the back. I couldn't do it.
                Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

quote:

but then how could we rehabilitate these find outstanding citizens if we don't coddle the needs of their true inner feelings. to do otherwise would be cruel and inhumane.

my ***!!!!!!!
                  I'll post, You argue.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Fastie:
                    quote:

There was this whole thing on one of the CNN (or some other) channel about prisons. They didn't look fun at all. A lot of problems, stabbings etc, especially at that Pelican Bay.

I don't think internet should be allowed in prisons, except for the LE officers that work there. Now that has to be one of the worst jobs on earth. Talk about only dealing with scumbags and seeing the worst of people. I honestly don't know HOW those guys/gals do it without going nuts. One of the shows had the LE officers serving meals to the segragated prisoners, taking them to the showers, bringing them razors etc... These LE officers deserve an extra pat on the back. I couldn't do it.

Thanks, Fastie I've been doing that for 16 of my 22 years in LE.

Last year, we had cable TV installed in our Detention Facility. And, 1 VCR in each of the ten areas of the Jail. When the inmates "behave" they can be offered a movie, to be chosen by the Officer and played at his whim.

The cable TV they have access to whenever the TV's are turned on (0900 to 2230 S-Th; 0900-0000 F-S).

It is used as a control tool. If everything is going well, the TV's stay on. If someone acts up, and it can (better be) documented, the particular area's TV is turned off, at least until compliance is gained.

I don't like it and I don't agree with it. But I do have to deal with it and will use it to my advantage [Wink]

I am glad that I don't work confinement on a regular basis, and don't have to deal with this much.

The inmates have more privileges in jail than a lot of families do in the free world.
                    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

The ACLU is the biggest bunch of perverted loser non-working freaks I've ever heard of in my entire life.

Comment

What I think is sad is that there are still many schools, especially those in rural or inner city areas that do not have internet access however we can afford to give it to inmates.
                        No partner is worth your tears -
                        the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

I agree with Rachel. The money spent for this should go to the taxpayers doing without because there is no money for Internet usage in schools.
                          I remember when I was frantically trying to get my son back to the Mayo and read where the city spent ONE MILLION DOLLARS to plant plants in front sounds walls on the Interstate. I just could not believe it and told them so. I mean, my H was working his tail off, my son is sick and can't get the treatment he needed and they spend all this money on PLANTS, most that are dead now?
                          I joke around with a friend of mine that she could find a date on the Internet from inmates that post pictures and stories on the Internet. But it's sad how many women DO contact them.
                          Geezzzz, it looks like it's nicer to be in jail then out! These people get FREE college degrees which they use to their advantage to get out. Law and psychology degrees are popular. So, we pay them to find a way out of the system to use the degree lawfuly or unlawfuly. I want to go back to college right now and can't because of money.

[ 01-03-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Mitzi ]

Comment

I am against the idea of allowing prisoners gaining access to the internet.
                            "I pity da foo. Stop yo jibba jabba!!"

Comment

A Michigan prison was recently looking for ways to reduce its budget deficit. Cable TV was considered an unnecessary expense that could be cut, until a civil rights group (not the ACLU, a smaller one) raised a big stink.

My line of thinking (as a citizen) is that everyone make choices in life and will be held accountable for them. If you know living in jail sucks, maybe you will consider your actions before committing a crime. I feel prison should be a horrible experience. No decked-out gyms, no cable TV, meals nutritous but not far from bread and water... you get the idea. Provide the opportunity for education to allow people to better themselves if desired, but not things like TV to keep inmates pacified until their time is served.

I guess that's why I have not yet passed a jury selection process - I believe that criminals proven guilty of a crime earning jail time should lose all but the basic rights and be punished, not just relocated for a while and entertained until their sentence is up. The ACLU can debate me on my opinion anytime.

AvgJoe
                              Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4434 users online. 257 members and 4177 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X