X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Least healthy states

Fat & Not Happy: 10 Unhealthiest States
    By Cathryn Conroy

You can blame it on whatever you want--most likely it's a combination of high-fat comfort food and very little exercise--but the South has become the most unhealthy region of the United States. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has ranked the 50 states and the District of Columbia by the health of their residents--namely by the incidence of obesity, diabetes, and coronary heart disease. Mississippi is the unhealthiest state of all. Nearly a quarter of the population is obese, which is the highest percentage of all the states, and there are a staggering 235.8 deaths from heart disease per 1,000 people, the fourth worst in the nation. In addition, 6.2 percent of the population has diabetes.

The 10 least healthy states:
    1. Mississippi
    2. West Virginia
    3. Tennessee
    4. Michigan
    5. Louisiana
    6. Texas
    7. Kentucky
    8. Illinois
    9. Missouri
    10. Arkansas
    The three healthiest states in order are Montana, Hawaii, and Minnesota. What makes Mississippi so much unhealthier than Montana? Clinical research coordinator Brie Turner-McGrievy told CBSMarketWatch that she suspects it's old-fashioned southern cooking. She has a simple solution--for a start, at least. Go vegetarian. "A lot of people think if there's no meat on the menu, it's not a meal," she said. "Cutting out meat is one of the best ways to increase fibers in fruits and vegetables."

Glad to see my own fine state finally made it out of the Bottom 10. Now we can get back to eating brats and cheese and drinking beer again!
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm I am surprised that Vermont is not on that list.

People up here in Vermont are so remote (in most places) that there's nothing to do but sit around and eat all day. In some stores, the pretty plus section is in the front. 6 out of every 10 people I see on a normal every day basis are chunkier than they should be. I do know that Vermont is high on the list for suicide. People up here just get bored and blow thier brains out. [Eek!]
      "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

Woohoo! Virginia didn't make the list! Yet....
        If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

WORD..I'm with you on that one KCadet...
          "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Comment

Im screwed Ive lived from TN then lived in LA for 3 1/2 yrs. But moving up now living in GA.

Comment

Well, I may be in the number 8 state, BUT I'M NOT FAT! There are a ton (pun intended) of women (mostly) and men in my little corner who are, to say the very least, grossly obese. Yeah, they like the country dinners, fried food, mashed taters and lots of gravy, bread and desserts.

I like to eat, but I watch what I eat. Since I live alone my meals are simple and, I believe, healthier that way.

Anyone for a juicy steak???? [Wink]
              Criminals prefer unarmed victims.

Comment

"I'm not fat, I'm big-boned!!"
                Eric Cartman, South Park, CO

Comment

Great I live in the 2nd fatest state. I can believe it. However I am not fat. The reason my state is 2nd is because half of the people are sitting at home and I am paying for their beer and cirarettes. Then when they get good and drunk, I have to put up with their stinking a**.

Comment

I'm from West Virginia. It is a beautiful state but a very depressed state. My husband is a Florida boy and he said he couldn't live there. Yet, all my reletives there, born and raised, said they couldn't live anywhere else.

Comment

You know what gets me riled up? When I see some young kid who is obviously obese and the parents are serving as enablers.

My 10-year-old son and I were at a Cub Scout function with another kid and his mother and, in the two hours we were together, she bought him SIX hotdogs!
                      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

6 hotdogs and a DIET coke, right?

Comment

Cutting out meat isn't going to make you healthier. Meat is a very nutritious source of protein. Cutting out sugar and carbohydrates will make you healthier. Vegetarian diet indeed, bah!
                          No partner is worth your tears -
                          the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

oh NO! we had this whole meat discussion before....do i have to do it again?? there are TONS of ways to get protein besides meat... but i dont feel like getting into this today... i'm enjoying the day lol [Wink]

and i do still say, people that are passionate about their food, are passionate about other things too and i love big men...you can keep the *skin and bones* !!

[ 10-23-2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Great, Kentucky is on that list. At least I've learned from my parents healthy eating habits.

I tell ya tho' I can drink alotta beer during a NASCAR race! Ha!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5997 users online. 347 members and 5650 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X