300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursing

Just curious how many departments out there just flat forbid you to curse in any form or fashion, even in situation where citizens, suspects are not listening to your instructions or orders?

How about high stress tactical situations?

Example might be you tell a group of subjects to back up, not follow you, their intoxicated and you finally say, "you better start moving or I'm going to start whoopin some ***".

Would your department discipline you for things of that nature??

I'm kinda doing a survey. Several Sergeants I've spoken to said they would not discipline anyone under such conditions, especially if it worked and no use of force followed, but even if that occurred no discipline.

I don't mean to suggest getting crazy with your mouth either. Not meaning to implie calling someone a MF or anything.

I guess to say if a little cursing get's complaince, is that better than a use of force??? Thanks all...............

It depends on the situation.

You don't use profanity with John Q citizen.

Sometimes you gotta cuss at "suspects" to get their attention. It's a language "they" understand. Cuss words are used as adjectives! Like after a foot chase, felony stops after a vehicle pursuit etc.

Saying, "Please put the gun down" won't work. "Drop the f--- gun" WILL

I've heard/used everything, even MF. May not sound professional after the fact, but sometimes ***** happens. Do whatever is necessary to effect the arrest!
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 05-03-2006, 01:24 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I, off duty, in one of my personal vehicles and in plain clothes, had a rookie call me a "f*cking liar" one evening back in 1997. So the answer to your question is... it must be against his department's policy.... because he denied doing it.

About a year later at a blind roadblock in total darkness one evening while off duty, in plain clothes, and driving one of my personal vehicles while going to Lowes, I had another officer from the same department shout out and ask if I was "f*cking blind". He also denied using the language. He was dayum lucky he didn't get run over. (He is no longer an officer).

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
        Cuss words are used as adjectives!
        When I was in grade 11 I wrote a one page article on that for my school's newspaper. It was well-written, but it was censored because the topic was "too sensitive at the time." I thought they'd see it as a student using what they learned in English in a constructive and creative manner.

Question for you. What about general cursing in a public place and not actually at someone? Is that frowned upon as well? I'll give you an actual example of what I'm talking about.

Mid-March I had a couple of RC's ordering coffee and donuts. As I was pouring their coffee their corporal walked up to the counter and said "what's with all this donut bull*****?" I wasn't offended or anything and there was no one else around to hear it, and it did sound rather amusing the way he said it. It just sort of threw me off a bit and distracted me from pouring and I missed the cup and scalded my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowing-Dee
          Question for you. What about general cursing in a public place and not actually at someone? Is that frowned upon as well? I'll give you an actual example of what I'm talking about.

Mid-March I had a couple of RC's ordering coffee and donuts. As I was pouring their coffee their corporal walked up to the counter and said "what's with all this donut bull*****?" I wasn't offended or anything and there was no one else around to hear it, and it did sound rather amusing the way he said it. It just sort of threw me off a bit and distracted me from pouring and I missed the cup and scalded my hand.
          Cursing is cursing! Does it sound unprofessional? yes! Is it inappropriate? Maybe! Is someone offended? Maybe!

The example you gave wasn't offensive to you or to me! A person who uses the f word several times in a sentence would be offensive to me! Two African Americans (citizens) referring to each other as the N word or MF wouldn't be offensive to them. But if someone overheard their conversation, it would!
          Last edited by deputy x 2; 05-03-2006, 02:39 PM.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Cursing is cursing! Does it sound unprofessional? yes! Is it inappropriate? Maybe! Is someone offended? Maybe!

The example you gave wasn't offensive to you or to me! A person who uses the f word several times in a sentence would be offensive to me! Two African Americans referring to each other as the N word or MF wouldn't be offensive to them. But if someone overheard their conversation, it would!
            I don't get offended by people who just generally curse when they talk. If they do it excessively I think they just sound stupid. I do, however, think that as soon as you curse at someone you've over-stepped the line. But on the same note, if nothing else is working and you need to speak their language, then by all means, do! Just don't pull me over and start calling me things. I haven't had that problem, and I expect I never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowing-Dee
              Just don't pull me over and start calling me things. I haven't had that problem, and I expect I never will.
              Now that is totally unacceptable and I would definately call the officer's supervisor. Anyone who does that is just plain stupid....and needs to be "checked".

Comment

I think a true professional (no matter what line of work) can express him/herself without using cuss words, no matter how stressful the situation.

I also understand, though, that in the heat of the moment, ***** happens.

In uniform, cussing about doughnuts, in a public place? Not very professional. If the same member, in uniform, almost got run over and smushed cussing in a public place? Not very professional, but very understandable.

Comment

THIS VIDEO will help answer all of your questions about the F-Word.

BEWARE: Not safe for work and will be offensive to those of you who are offended easily by the F-Word.
                  It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Can't get it to load. Says loading....................

Comment

Can't get it to load. Says loading....................
                      Just click play and it will work.
                      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                        Just click play and it will work.
                        Informative...thanks that was good

Comment

Even though it says don't click until loaded, do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SHERIFF
                            I, off duty, in one of my personal vehicles and in plain clothes, had a rookie call me a "f*cking liar" one evening back in 1997. So the answer to your question is... it must be against his department's policy.... because he denied doing it.

About a year later at a blind roadblock in total darkness one evening while off duty, in plain clothes, and driving one of my personal vehicles while going to Lowes, I had another officer from the same department shout out and ask if I was "f*cking blind". He also denied using the language. He was dayum lucky he didn't get run over. (He is no longer an officer).
                            Just curious, SHERIFF, as to why on two occasions you wound up in situations with officers cursing at you? I've never been cussed at while dealing with police off duty. Around here, I can't imagine too many officers would risk losing their job -- or their supervisors' trust -- by lying about something as minor as cursing.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by a roadblock? I'm guessing you're referring to a road closure due to an accident or other road hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                              Just curious, SHERIFF, as to why on two occasions you wound up in situations with officers cursing at you?
                              Because the department had no leadership at the time. The officers did pretty much what they wanted IMHO. They were also having a record number of lawsuits served against them as well.

I've never been cussed at while dealing with police off duty. Around here, I can't imagine too many officers would risk losing their job -- or their supervisors' trust -- by lying about something as minor as cursing.
                              Well, I can't either really. But it happened. And the latter documented on video.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by a roadblock? I'm guessing you're referring to a road closure due to an accident or other road hazard.
                              I have no idea why the road was closed. It was a dark road behind a shopping center (back entrance sorta), no street lighting, and there was apparently a cop standing in the right lane blocking a car's path. I never saw him or his "missing" car, no emergency lighting. Where the heck was his patrol car and emergency lighting? Anyhow, I had no idea why the car in the right lane had stopped, so I moved to the left lane. At the last second the officer stepped into the left lane to stop me and almost got run over. He shouted out and asked me if I was "f*cking blind"?

When all was over and done with, he called my sheriff and filed a complaint on me. Furthermore, he said he never cursed me. I gave my sheriff the videotape to prove who was telling the truth.

The officer is no longer an officer.
                              Last edited by SHERIFF; 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5492 users online. 373 members and 5119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X